Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

RC-3141's Armor WIP Thread

• 24 Replies

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
Re: RC-3141's Armor WIP Thread
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:53 PM »
I printed out test versions of the front and end of my gauntlets, and realized that I had significantly oversized them. If you know anyone who needs partially biodegradable rib augmentations, let me know

I have since redone my gauntlets, and was able to do it significantly faster thanks to the experience offered by my first failure. These were sized correctly for my arm dimensions, as measured with the digital caliper I recently acquired.

I also got my hands on some latching buttons and some USB flashlights, so I will be designing the compartment that I will have on-off switches for my helmet electronics in.

Another edit because I forgot something:

My family does these wooden swords and shields as kids toys, and this is one of the designs that we put on our shields, I believe it was designed by my mom's best friend. I may use/adapt this for use in my kit, not sure how swarzy it looks

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2020, 12:31 PM by RC-3141 » Logged
Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

Awall

• None of us is as smart as ALL of us
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Nice!  When I did my gauntlets I made a cylinder in the 3D modeling program that matched my proportions and forearm length ... then imported it into my gauntlet file to check the fit before printing.   Because of doing this my gauntlets fit perfectly with batteries and donít move around or pinch.  If you go this route donít forget to take your measurements with sleeves and gloves on.  Keep up the good work!

Reísahc Mrots  MMCC # 2385  Rancor Clan
 #56 Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion)  (LEO)

WIP THREAD
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=166861.0

Brigade WIP 267th
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=188181.0

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2020, 08:52 PM »

Edit: I've added a table of contents to my first page to make it easier for anyone just hopping in, can someone confirm that the links work?

I'm back! I've been plugging away at projects for the last couple weeks, and am just now getting around to posting about my progress on the armor.

I used Dynalite resin (not Bondo but it seems to be working) to join the seam on my Jango 2 Piece and to repair my collarplate sometime last week:

I then sanded these down and added another layer, and then sanded that today. I do not have a picture of the collarplate but I think it turned out well

I have not been working on my gauntlets, I need to get back on that sometime. I also need to design some earcaps for my helmet, I am considering going for a hexagonal design similar to the special operations clone trooper helmet. I like the look of these, and they would also allow me to disguise earholes/microphones in my helmet to help with hearing the environment:

This is the way

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2020, 09:04 PM by RC-3141 » Logged
Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
« Reply #18 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:32 PM »

Apologies if the post sizing/formatting is weird, the text editor is a little odd.

I've been continuing to work on the helmet and got a visor cut out based on Kol Var'Das's Sun Visor Template. I am currently waiting on my 3D Printer to become available, because I have been printing face shields with pretty much all of my printer time.

I added some fiberglass cloth across the inside of the seam of the helmet, as well as some Sintra reinforcement.

I experimented with Droodles curved visor template, but I decided to not use it

Test fit of my first visor cut-out:

My final visor. I cut along the top-side fold lines so that it would be easier to fold, and added some Bondo to fill in said cuts.

I got a USB male to female cable that I'm disassembling right now so that I can implement a helmet flashlight, accidentally got a significantly better constructed cable than I intended to so I had some fun taking that apart.

I've also been working on designing some earcaps, waiting on some feedback before I go about implementing those.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Got some work done on my kit today:

First, I added some weapons to my right hand gauntlet, going for dual blasters, darts, and unidentified weapons that are probably gonna be flamethrowers (I'm gonna try to add char marks, etc to the area around them). Apologies for taking pictures in the slicer and not the modelling program, I forgot about my WIP

Also worked on installing my earcaps onto my helmet, CA glued them into place and will be bondoing and sanding, also ripped out the visor (quite literally, I pulled it off the posts) and cut some holes for hearing that I will be backing with mesh once I get my kit painted

This is the way, still quite a bit to go but I'm happy I made progress.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

Mirran

• Mir'ran Vencuyanir
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2020, 03:27 PM »
I love your ear caps! For whatever reason I had a hard time wrapping my head around them until they were on but I think they're neat.

"Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action."

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2020, 04:17 PM »
I love your ear caps! For whatever reason I had a hard time wrapping my head around them until they were on but I think they're neat.
Thanks! It's going to be really annoying to get that mesh inside of them, but I really like how they look and the functionality that they add.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2020, 08:24 PM »
You've clearly put a lot of thought into planning here, and I think this is going to be a solid kit when you get it done. No real input as of yet, but I look forward to watching as this progresses!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Did some more filling and sanding working on integrating the earcaps this week

After this first layer of filler, I added spot putty

Also did some filling on the visor

Progress from the (virtual) armor party today:

Got my flashlight 3D printed, the flashlight/lens is separate from the barrel, I will be drilling a hole into my helmet and popping the flashlight in there, painting everything, then putting all of the more sensitive flashlight parts in there

The soldering isn't pretty, but it's functional

And some light sanding happened as well

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Looking good :). You're definitely getting there!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!