Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build-WIP

• 55 Replies

JEStucker

• Come and Take it
Re: First Armor Build-WIP
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:05 AM »
No matter what you choose to transport your kit in, it will never be big enough.
Always go bigger than what you think you might need.  It allows for layers of fabric between components so you don't scratch or damage things, as well as packing material so things don't shift in transit to and from events.  You'll be amazed at how much room you really need for the whole kit to be stored nicely for any period of time.

I've barely started a kit, but from other cosplay things in the past, the space disappears faster than you ever realize.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:50 AM »
I'd go with the husky bin. I have the sterilite, and while it's big enough for me to fit two kits in if I pack it properly, the handle is a pain in the shebs to deal with.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:09 AM »
thank yall Ill get the husky then,

Any ways here's my armor progress

The vest will be trimmed up ( It makes look like I am shrugging but I am not) and the installing the knees and codpice will be done tomorrow as well as finishing the bandolier as well. Let know if you seen anything off, but it will be ready enough for ECCC! ;D

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Good follow through on the concept to application!

One tip when taking pictures, try to stand more erect so it doesn't pull your head forward. Makes you look more confident  :)

Plates are very close to fitting you perfect , I would recommend shaping the corners of your ab plate a bit more. Granted at ECCC you will have tons of help from the other MMCC members eyes.

Best of luck at your first event in kit! You always learn a lot about things you want to do better after trooping for a while.  :cookie:

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32
« Reply #49 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Will do and ECCC was a blast! And I found some mercs there, I got a lot of feedback on my kit. I was over all comfy and in the costume 
What's good:
Boots
Helmet
Waist items
Flight Suit

What needs improvement:
The ab plate needs some trimming and forming so its above the belly button
 The collar piece was wonky, but I think what happened was the one of the Velcro pieces came off made it look weird (see below)
The codpiece is too small, I need to make a larger sized one 
The chest plates need to be rotated a little and the “Fangs” needs the formed inward to fit me better
Backpiece needs to be trimmed 

Other Recommendations:
Gauntlets could be greebled up a little more
The vest is good, but they highly recommend changing for comfort which I will to because I was a tad sweaty afterwards. While I was relatively cool the convention center, it could be a problem that's worse in the summer and I don’t want to feel like a rotisserie cooked porg while walking around.  :porg2: 
Otherwise, I am really close!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2019, 12:20 PM »
You seem to have most of the improvements needed covered. One additional suggestion from me is tighten up the bandolier, and maybe add a few discreet magnets or patches of velcro to get the pouches sitting evenly. Oh, and I recommend either dyeing (or painting) the bandolier black to match the belt and holster, or those two brown to match the bandolier. It's not necessarily an approvability thing, but it always looks tighter, better when your 'strappy bits' match, more or less. If you're concerned about dyeing, you can also pick up acrylic leather paint and get the same effect. I think changing the others to brown would be better than the bando to black, as it'll make the holster pop more in comparison to the black soft parts. Otherwise, make those other fixes and you'll be in awesome shape.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #51 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Sweet! I did have a small piece of Velcro on my shoulder but it also fell off, so I will look into magnets instead of Velcro and have it in multiple places so it does not sag. Ill look into the paint, the holster is not real leather would that effect the finish of the paint?

« Reply #52 on: Apr 30, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but I do have some things in the works I got a larger codpiece cut out and have also brain storming Ideas for the gauntlets because right now it has nothing on it. Here is the concept for the right one the two buttons will keyboard keys that will be painted up the three dots will be LED lights and the multicolored rectangles will be wired and then the screen in the middle will be a printout of something. What do you all think?

As for the right one I am not sure how add to it any suggestions?

Both will have these planning on using styrene to create the illusion of an opening

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #53 on: Apr 30, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Sorry I missed your last question, I was in full Celebration prep at that point and barely checked the boards :P. Leather paint works pretty well on vinyl as well; I have a few friends that do superhero cosplay that have painted all manner of faux leathers with it.

Your vambrace concept looks just fine and will be a good addition to gussy up that plain shell you have going on :). Not really sure if additions are warranted for the other one, as right now it looks like it'll go well with your plans for the right, keeping both streamlined. The faux-opening will add detail to the blank side of the left vambrace, so you won't have that blank space any more; I think they'll look good!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Your kit is looking really good so far and it looks like you're almost ready for pre-app.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Sorry I missed your last question, I was in full Celebration prep at that point and barely checked the boards :P. Leather paint works pretty well on vinyl as well; I have a few friends that do superhero cosplay that have painted all manner of faux leathers with it.

No worries, hope you had fun!

Your kit is looking really good so far and it looks like you're almost ready for pre-app.

Yup at the five yard line planning on changing out the vest, forming the plates a little more and painting the holster and modding the gauntlet 

Here is  my progress on the holster I am using angelus light brown leather paint and here is a comparison the original and painted

Here is the progress of the gauntlet the LEDs will be on the lower one once its all said and done. Just had them there because that one is a practice one

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!