Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build-WIP

• 73 Replies

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
Re: First Armor Build-WIP
« Reply #60 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:23 PM »
Good work, Ghost. Let me know if you need anything. I'm excited to see this come together.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Good work, Ghost. Let me know if you need anything. I'm excited to see this come together.
Thanks and will do!
A few more small updates: I got the ab plate formed up and will get the plates on the vest this weekend
I also found this cool USB card that I can make into a small datapad I have some greebles lying around that could do the trick 

With that being said heres is my to do list
Place plates on the vest
Trim vest
Finish up the gauntlets
Finish up the grenade
Trim back plate
Attach magnets to bandolier
Touch up various bits and bobs
Go through the application process
Archive OM status
Do happy dance  :porg2:

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 06:58 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Hello again more progress has been made I have placed the back plate on to the vest so can get an idea on where to cut. So where would be the best place to?

I just noticed that there is an extra line, it measures about 6in and the highest point

As for the gauntlet I got the three squares on then filled in the gaps with glue if you do this i'd recommend using a spray that helps the glue dry quick so it does not run. I also hit it with a coat of primer so I can see what needs to be done in terms of sanding excess glue

Here is a rough concept of what I have in mind for the little datapad what to you all think?

Anansi

« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:56 PM »
The arc you cut on your backplate is going to be a matter of personal preference in this case. Could be based on your mobility needs.

I definitely like your datapad. Very clever construction.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #64 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:33 PM »
The arc you cut on your backplate is going to be a matter of personal preference in this case. Could be based on your mobility needs.

I definitely like your datapad. Very clever construction.

Oh good to know and thanks!

So I got the backplate cut plate cut out and hit it with the first coat paint

As for the gauntlets, there is some slight orange peeling on some of the squares so I have sand the paint off and repaint them

For the grenade I got the strips of styrene on it and just to have to paint them up. There a bit hard to see but they are there. 

So this upcoming weekend I plan to finish up the gauntlets, and the other things needing to be done and hopefully get some pre app pics submitted  :boba:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #65 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Excellent progress! Shame on the orange peel, but it happens to the best of us. Could be any of a myriad of problems, unfortunately, and often all you can do is exactly as you did and sand it and repaint. Even if you don't get to quite pre-app level this weekend, I'm sure the others will agree that we look forward to seeing it on you however far you get. Every step forward is worth documenting!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Orange peeling is a total bummer no matter what stage you're at (especially sucks when you're near done  ??? ) Honestly I try to keep my stuff in front of a fan after spraying, and I always have an eye on the humidity. If it's a little more gross than normal (I live in Florida) then I'll let it dry overnight. If it's something that happens immediately, you may have to look at the paints you're using. Are you using similar brand spray paints?

« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Thank you both for the tips, I did use the same brand, krylon, but they could have changed up the formula a bit causing the peeling to happen because it seemed more runnier than my old cans of primer. So I sanded it down and reapplied the paint, Ill post pics soon.   

UPDATE:
Here are the pics: they look alot better

I also finished up my grenade

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 08:34 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #68 on: Feb 22, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Last year or the year before (I think) Krylon picked up Valspar and merged their production. As I understand it, they're going with the old Krylon formula, as it was determined to be as good or superior to Valspar's, but a difference in production or even some kind of formula tweaking could easily have happened.

Second round definitely looks better, and that grenade came out pretty good. You keeping it those colors, or looking to paint it still?

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Anansi

« Reply #69 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Really love that grenade!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #70 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:04 AM »
Last year or the year before (I think) Krylon picked up Valspar and merged their production. As I understand it, they're going with the old Krylon formula, as it was determined to be as good or superior to Valspar's, but a difference in production or even some kind of formula tweaking could easily have happened.

Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye out for my local guys!

« Reply #71 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:55 PM »

Second round definitely looks better, and that grenade came out pretty good. You keeping it those colors, or looking to paint it still?
Interesting just a thing of note I thought I said this, but apparently it stayed in my brain, I used an older can of aluminum and a new can of primer so I think if someone uses new can and a new can it will be fine, just be weary of old and new. As for the grenade, i'm not sure if I will, I think for now its fine.   

Also, donít leave the tape on for too longÖ..

Not to worry, I lightly sanded it, hit it with a new coat so it should be good to go

On an another note, my armor in on the vest! I'll post pics soon :)

Awall

• None of us is as smart as ALL of us
« Reply #72 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:35 PM »
I agree with that!  I exclusively used Krylon on my whole kit and loved the way I can work with it.  I did have a problem last year... possibly with an old can of clear that messed up some spots over white.  But all in all... even in my  Ohio garage this winter Iíve had good success.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
« Reply #73 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:07 PM »
This happens from time to time, and can be really frustrating. I'd recommend bringing the drying pieces inside under a floor or desk fan, and giving them plenty of time to dry and cure. You may also want to look into Frog Tape, which is great for painting and is more forgiving when it comes to masking.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!