Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build-WIP

• 97 Replies
First Armor Build-WIP
« on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:46 PM »
Hello everyone I finally got my armor plates so how is my spacing of my armor? 

I know that the is a bit off ab plate is off centered. Aside from that which one is better?

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First Armor Build-WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2019, 03:36 PM »
The mockup can be perfect on the dummy, but it won't be the same when you're wearing it. We won't be able to tell until you have it on. I would recommend acquiring a vest and wearing it in a test mockup, tape the plates on for now to see where they need to go. We'll be able to guide you from there  :)

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:27 PM »
These look like DHPFX plates. As someone who has worked a lot with those in the last year as DHPFX is local to me, I would recommend more shaping on the collar (center applied heat to fit closer to chest) and some on the diagonals of the ab plate to get it to sit closer to the ribs.

Are you by chance in CO?

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:18 PM »
The mockup can be perfect on the dummy, but it won't be the same when you're wearing it. We won't be able to tell until you have it on. I would recommend acquiring a vest and wearing it in a test mockup, tape the plates on for now to see where they need to go. We'll be able to guide you from there  :)

OK I will get those up soon :)

These look like DHPFX plates. As someone who has worked a lot with those in the last year as DHPFX is local to me, I would recommend more shaping on the collar (center applied heat to fit closer to chest) and some on the diagonals of the ab plate to get it to sit closer to the ribs.

Are you by chance in CO?

OK, and yes they are DHPFX plates and no I am not in CO I am from WA so a little too far.   

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2019, 04:58 PM »
While still working on the vest for the armor, I finally got my knee guards from demon dog studios on Esty so I I have gotten the knee darts on and the left one had a rather gap so I used mili-putty to fill in the seam and am now about to a coat of primer on it. and What is the best way to put the straps on the knee guards ? I am planning on have a small strip of velco in the inside and on the suit so they aren't constantly sliding down aside from that I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2019, 01:13 PM »
Are you planning on using elastic straps? If so, I would recommend sewing that strap to some nylon webbing and then attaching the webbing to the inside of the knee with some heavy duty adhesive (contact cement) or screwing it into the material with some short screws. Basically, you want to ensure they aren't going to come off or degrade while trooping. Something sweat resistant will help a lot.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Are you planning on using elastic straps? If so, I would recommend sewing that strap to some nylon webbing and then attaching the webbing to the inside of the knee with some heavy duty adhesive (contact cement) or screwing it into the material with some short screws. Basically, you want to ensure they aren't going to come off or degrade while trooping. Something sweat resistant will help a lot.

Yes I am and thanks for the advice on securing them to the knee-guard! I have to get some elastic straps soon!

UPDATE

I am using my old vest but how does it looks for spaciing and quick side note is this material for the vest approve able?

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2019, 10:01 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Neat fabric texture! Though I'd need a further away picture to give you an educated answer on if it's approvable or not. So long as it is a heavy enough fabric to support the plates and not super rubbery in texture, I don't see much issue. But I'd defer to the app team Q&A section for the final word from the team as a whole. Some fabrics are tricky.

Spacing is looking much better! The only thing I'd watch is making sure that collar to chest spacing is the same as the ab to chest. Right now you have more space on the outside on the collar. You can fix this by rotating the chest plates out slightly.

You're getting closer!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Neat fabric texture! Though I'd need a further away picture to give you an educated answer on if it's approvable or not. So long as it is a heavy enough fabric to support the plates and not super rubbery in texture, I don't see much issue. But I'd defer to the app team Q&A section for the final word from the team as a whole. Some fabrics are tricky.

Spacing is looking much better! The only thing I'd watch is making sure that collar to chest spacing is the same as the ab to chest. Right now you have more space on the outside on the collar. You can fix this by rotating the chest plates out slightly.

You're getting closer!

Sweet and the fabric is actually what flak vest is made out of so it is more subtle then how it looks do these pictures work? and ill get armor pics up later today 

UPDATE:

I tried to adjust the plates and hold them down with tape and..... it did not work as well the first time are there any other ways to temporarily attach the plates?

Here is how it turned out. I know the chest plates need to be lowered and should they be almost parallel to the collar plate once rotated?

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2019, 06:04 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:08 PM »
I would recommend maybe a different type of tape? Not entirely sure, but we won't have a great idea on how the plates are now unless they're straightened out.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:25 PM »
Since these are DHPFX plates, you may find yourself having to trim the collar down after shaping to ensure the space between the collar and chest plates is consistent all the way across. I think people used to be able to get approved with the tapering space from outer to inner, but not so much anymore. I would however suggest you start getting velcro on so that your local Ruus'alor or helpers can get you in the right neighborhood.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Thank both for the suggestions, I tried duct tape and it worked out so here is the turnout how does it took?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Looks like you will need more shaping on the collar. Heat up the middle so those corners sit flat to your shoulders. Same with ab plate. See photo to where shaping needs to happen.

Red lines are where to apply heat to bend. Green is for direction of rotation.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Looks like you will need more shaping on the collar. Heat up the middle so those corners sit flat to your shoulders. Same with ab plate. See photo to where shaping needs to happen.

Sweet so since the plates have curve on the outside would making a small cut on the ridge like the one shown below make so that the edge is not messed up? 

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:16 PM »
You're exactly right. Or you can let it bow and use gentle heat to push it back into shape. This suggestion is more difficult.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:58 PM »
You're exactly right. Or you can let it bow and use gentle heat to push it back into shape. This suggestion is more difficult.

Cool ill take a crack at forming the plates this weekend.

Anyways I was sort of thinking of doing a logo on one of the shoulder bells I made this (Shown below) What do you all think?
I planning on making it a sticker of it then apply to the shoulder bell, would that work?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Custom Logos like that are great. They bring a lot of character to a kit.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:56 PM »
So I formed the collar and the ab plate how does it look now?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Really close vod.

The chest plates likely will need to be rotated out to ensure the space above and below the diamond are the same. (red arrows)
Collar is really close too maybe a touch more shaping over your right shoulder. (Yellow circle)

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Bryn's got you covered.  You are very close, vod.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:41 PM »
Sweet  :D I will make the adjustments soon, my center medallion needs another coat of paint. I have finally put some attention to a piece that I have not done yet which would be the codpiece so printed out the template for it then traced it on to styrene and have done a rough cut and will touch it up soon 

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Okay here is another one with the plates on, they sorta slid a little before I took the pic. Pretty soon I will actually use Velcro my plan is to sew the Velcro on the vest and then use adhesive backed Velcro for the plates. As for the codpiece  (still not trimmed) here it is with the waist items, how does it look? and are waist items approve-able? 

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:31 PM »
The plates look good, and you have the required two waist items.  :like: ;)  Just smooth out the edge of the left side of the cod, by your leg.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Cool!! my concern was with the holster because its it a Han Solo one and I know that there is some concern with named character items so i did add a different pouch and will also a little mythosaur on the front buckle just to be on the safe side of things. Anyways, what is the best way to place the Velcro on the vest? I was thinking of using advise Velcro then placing the plates on then removing the plates leaving the Velcro on the vest then sewing it on permanently on. will that work?

Straka Zulu

« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:56 PM »
That should work.  I'm not an expert, though.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!