Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Flightsuit WIP

• 4 Replies
New Flightsuit WIP
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:30 PM »
Got a start on my flightsuit today. I actually had an old pair of light grey Dickies Coveralls I had gotten for Boba Fett costume about 15 years ago. I had taken them apart and was going to use the fabric for something else, but when I decided to join the Mercs I thought they'd be perfect so I resurrected them.

I decided to make the 2-piece so that it was easier to use the restroom, something I learned from Keldabe Talk Radio  :D

I'm actually using the waistband from another set of coveralls that I had gotten a while ago for the torso's waistband. Theoretically it will fit inside the bottom waistband and attach with 4 big snaps so that it doesn't shift around to much.

I just tacked the pieces together with a running stitch to see where I was at and how much i needed to take in. I used a red thread so it would be easy for me to see when I take it out. The running stitch allows for quick and easy removal: just cut the stitching at the end, grab the knot at the beginning, and pull it out.
]
I actually added these sleeves myself with a simple pattern. The original sleeves were short. I made the long sleeves out of the legs from another set of Dickies coveralls so they'd be the same color. I'm going to sew the long and the short sleeves in place, a la Boba and Jango, so that the hoses of my gauntlets can have a place to go. I know they aren't necessary, but I like the look.

I think I'm going to leave the collar off. I'm planning on just doing an edge binding to secure and clean up everything. You really don't need a collar since there is going to be a neck seal over it anyway and anything I can do to cut down on heat.

Jeremy

Re: New Flightsuit WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Hey Vode! Does anybody have a suggestion on what to do with the 2 darts on the back of the coveralls. Its extra fabric for movement, but it adds an extra inch on each side of the back. I already need to take in the sides and top. Should I leave those darts alone or sew them up? I mean, it's going to be under the vest anyway, but I also don't want excessive fabric sticking out. What have any of you done?

Tusken Dan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
Re: New Flightsuit WIP
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:33 PM »
I would leave the darts alone and if you need to tighten the back, just take it from the center seem.  It will be under the flak and not seem.  YOu can even put it on backwards and have an assistant gather and clip it in the center until it is as tight or loose as you like it.  I took the neck off my suit as well for heat reasons.  It helps, but a cotton work suit is just hot sometimes.   ;D Good luck with your build. 

Re: New Flightsuit WIP Update #2
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Hey everyone  :)
   First of all, I'd like to thank Tuscan Dan for his suggestions. They have come in very handy while planning out this flight suit. I also wanted to thank all of the people who commented on my concept drawing. I'm glad that you are as excited as I am about the build.
   So this week, I worked on the lower half of the suit. I determined that the seams needed to be brought in about 2cm and that the cuffs needed brought in 8.5cm.

I usually like working in metric when it comes to costumes. I can get more precise measurements and the math is a lot easier.
   I pinned the legs and proceeded to sew up the legs.

At first I tried to use one of those portable sewing machines that are like $15.

!!!!Don't ever use one of these things!!!! :-\
It's a complete pain to work with. I have an actual sewing machine, but it was in storage and I didn't want to get it out. Rest assured I'm using it from now on  ;D
  However, at the time I just wanted it done, so I hand stitched it.

Not to bad for hand sewing huh :)
I next bound all the seams so they wouldn't unravel. I think people usually use a serger to do that, but that's not in my budget. I just did it by hand.

I then pinned the cuffs and sewed them up.

The only thin left is the fly. I'm going to use velcro for the closure. It comes up a little high, almost up to my bellybutton, but its supposed to. The top is a little short and will connect.  It reminds me of my British  WWII uniform, I did reenacting for a little while.
Let me know what you think.
Jeremy

Re: New Flightsuit WIP Update #3
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Hey everyone. Sorry I've been a way for awhile, My wife and I moved and it's been rather hectic for the past several months. I finally have a workshop, workbench, and a sewing table, so I'm hoping to get back to construction soon. The top part of thr jumsuit needs to be done, but for some hems and  finishing the waistband the lower portion is almost complete.  I've also purchased some stuff for the rest of the costume as well and will be putting up WIPs for those. Thank you for your patience and guidance everyone.

Jeremy

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!