Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modern Nite Owl Bucket - WIP (got pics)

• 29 Replies

hazelspikes

• "Armor is just bigger Gunpla!"
Modern Nite Owl Bucket - WIP (got pics)
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Finally got started on my TMA Nite Owl Helmet and wanted to post some WIP pics. This is my first time doing anything with power tools so it's a big learning experience! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Before it's ready to paint, I need to:
  • Fill in the rest of the dents on the dome
  • Sand down the bondo
  • E6000 the ears on
  • Make the key slots more rectangle like?

I'd like to have a moving range finder but the kit I got didn't have an ear cap cover for the bolt. Any tips on how to conceal the eventual hole would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2019, 08:35 PM by hazelspikes » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Modern Nite Owl Bucket - WIP (got pics)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Great work so far :)

For covering the bolt, you could scratch build something out of 3 or 6mm Sintra, then put a magnet on it that is attracted to the bolt if you want to keep a removable rangefinder. It would be a good idea to add some kind of washer to the inside to spread the load as well (either like a flat washer, or make one out of sinter) to spread the load on the inside of the helmet and prevent cracking down the line.

There's some filling and smoothing that needs to be addressed at the bottom of the helmet below the earcap area as well. 

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Overall, the helmet is going to need a good amount of bondo and smoothing to smooth out spots around the dome and sides of the helmet. You're in good hands with Sep and I've talked to Bowfanny as well, one of our resident helmet experts. Best of luck!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

hazelspikes

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:34 PM »
For covering the bolt, you could scratch build something out of 3 or 6mm Sintra, then put a magnet on it that is attracted to the bolt if you want to keep a removable rangefinder. It would be a good idea to add some kind of washer to the inside to spread the load as well (either like a flat washer, or make one out of sinter) to spread the load on the inside of the helmet and prevent cracking down the line.

There's some filling and smoothing that needs to be addressed at the bottom of the helmet below the earcap area as well.

Thanks! I will keep that idea in my back pocket! :)

Overall, the helmet is going to need a good amount of bondo and smoothing to smooth out spots around the dome and sides of the helmet. You're in good hands with Sep and I've talked to Bowfanny as well, one of our resident helmet experts. Best of luck!

Thank you for the reassurance! Yeah, the more I look at the helmet, the more spots I see...Good thing I like sanding (so far)!

hazelspikes

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Did some work on the bucket today. Here's the link to the full imgur album to save space. Did include the front view pic at the bottom.

Put bondo on some of the dents. Sanded it off with my fine/medium sandpaper sponge. Did a lot of circular and X motions. I know the starbird looking one and the big glob on the dome needs the edges sanded down more...Ah, probably all of them. Next time, I'll try and be less heavy handed applying the stuff in the first place. Will also fill in more dents. Need to get glazing & spot putty to fill in all those pockmarks around the sides of the bucket.

Any tricks on sanding bondo seams down in one spot without going over the parts that don't need sanded? Part of the bondo is sanded all the way down. But the ridges are proving frustrating.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Oya, local vod! Glad to meet you at the armor party a while back. Can't wait to see where the build goes!

hazelspikes

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Oya, local vod! Glad to meet you at the armor party a while back. Can't wait to see where the build goes!

Oya and well met, vod! Thank you for your interest! I'm pretty excited as well.

Sanded more bondo down. Decided it was time to E6000 the ears on. Waiting until I have the ability and supplies to but the range finder on.

And now we wait for it to cure. Will report back.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2019, 01:18 PM by Havelock » Logged

hazelspikes

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Result is in! They're crooked! Blast!

*frowns at the daylight in-between the ear and the helmet.*

Is it better to cut the ears off and try again or bondo in the gaps?

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:58 PM »
I would use a caulk or bondo to fill them in, I wouldn't risk cutting them and re-attaching them personally.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:19 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

You're making nice progress on this, by the way.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

hazelspikes

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:02 PM »
It's been ah...more than 30 days. Oops. Hope this is okay. :3

I've been working off and on on this. Now that the bondo doesn't scream "blood of my enemies," I'm at a point to post pictures again. I've bond-ed the dents/potmarks/scratches. I also filled in the gap in the ears and middle of the ears with apoxie sculpt.

I tried (key word) to even out the keyholes in the back of the helmet, but failed pretty hardcore.

Now I'll use my Dremel sand drum and wet sandpaper to sand down the hard sculpt. And that's what's up.

Kol Varek

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Good to see you're still at it! It's looking much better!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Great progress!  And necroposting your own build thread is perfectly fine.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Great progress!  And necroposting your own build thread is perfectly fine.   :)

I'm really good at that! OP and I have been discussing things via fb chat, she's been working, I promise! :)

hazelspikes

« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Got some work done yesterday. Sanded the putty, bondo glazed it, sanded again, and gave the whole bucket a bath.

Glued rangefinder to the stock.

Here's the link to the rest of the pictures. Sorry about the mess.

http://imgur.com/a/dSQzUQV

Think the ears need more sanding. Need a more stable handed person to even the keyhole slots and drill the hole for the rangefinder. Very exciting!

UPDATE 5/6/19
Ditched the rangefinder.

I moved onto painting. This is the first time I'm using spray paint. I'm learning a lot. Since my character stole their buir's armor, I made an underlayer with their parent's color scheme. Then I'll paint over it with my character's color scheme.

Onto the ... not so great part. Since I'm new to this, I'm rather terrible at the technique. I'm using Montana paint. It's great! But the Frog Tape keeps pulling paint off.

I'm planning on wet sanding the current paint job off and just moving on to my character's paint scheme.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:32 AM by hazelspikes » Logged

hazelspikes

« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Welp, I've put a good chunk of work in recently! Painted my character's color scheme over the purple. I used the toothpaste weathering method to keep some of the undercoat coming through. After my boyfriend puts the Jaig eyes on it, I'll touch up the red splotches and maybe cover up more of the purple on the back. Debating whether I want to brown wash it before smoothing it out and clear coating. Buuuuuuut there's plenty of time.

hazelspikes

« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2019, 11:50 AM »
And without further ado - It's done. Besides the visor. I'm thinking a grey reflective one.

And padding.

I'm very happy with it. Hope you all like it too. :sabine:

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Really like what you've done with that Nite Owl!
But, I'm biased.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Bucket is looking good :)

Really think about how you're going to do your shoulders -- you may need to go with a bit broader design to balance out the width of the helmet and be in compliance. 

Keep it up!

hazelspikes

« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Bucket is looking good :)

Really think about how you're going to do your shoulders -- you may need to go with a bit broader design to balance out the width of the helmet and be in compliance. 

Keep it up!

Thanks! Hmm. I was thinking of a Nite Owl style armor. May need to look at some examples to help balance everything. :)

hazelspikes

« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:06 PM »
First attempt at putting the visor in.

It was pretty stressful!

I also Velcroed mesh over the keyhole slots.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:52 PM »
 :<3:
Love it!   But I'm biased.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kol Varek

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:14 PM »
Nice work cleaning the helmet up. Looking forward to future progress.

hazelspikes

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I got a new visor and put clips and padding in it. It looks cool! But my glasses and nose are shoved up against the visor and there's about an inch of space between the visor and the helmet. The visor doesn't want to press up against the helmet. I know the clips aren't really doing anything right now. Will put more in later this week.

hazelspikes

« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2020, 10:55 AM »
A friend trimmed the top of the visor down and used 2 part apoxie to get the visor as close as possible to the helmet.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!