Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Project Corsair -- Custom helmet design

• 23 Replies

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Project Corsair -- Custom helmet design
« on: Feb 02, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Hey everyone. Wanted to finally start a thread and share some pictures of a custom helmet build I'm dubbing "The Corsair".

First off I want to preface that this helmet is going to be based off a 3D printed base with some modifications done in CAD, then the rest done by hand since there's only so much I can do in CAD with my skills.

I wanted to design a helmet with more of a tactical or "FAST" feel to it. My current kit is a Legacy kit in the Privateer Brigade. I designed this kit to emulate what a first in/breacher/boarding party. Heavily armored where it counts.

So in comes the design for this helmet. I wanted a tactical feel, somewhat militarized/FAST/Special forces style so I wanted to integrate some tech in to it.

Anyways enough talk, time for some pictures because they'll explain better. excuse the red lines in CAD, they're just artifact likes in the file i couldnt get rid of.

I had a few attempts to print and a few revisions. I printed at 0.01mm layer heights slowly for a super clean finish... this baby took over 200 hours in two 3 main pieces.

from left to right original model helmet for brainstorming, V1 with a layer shift so was no good, and V2 which is current and perfect!

I've begun doing some hand modification, smoothing out areas and rounding over the vertical part of the T Visor edges.

Updates will be sporadic because I'm swamped with IRL work... might get done sooner or later, we shall see!

Re: Project Corsair -- Custom helmet design
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Yep that helmet is gonna suit your kit. are you gonna have the visor underlight effect like your old helmet?

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:13 PM »
My original kit actually has a solid mid blue chromatic visor in it. This helmet is going to have a solid black visor with a blue LED HUD, Republic Commando style.

Lorrd Griffon

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:17 PM »
That is an excellent design and is going to be an outstanding bucket!  :like:

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Stunning work!

What software are you using for modelling it?

Owner of Cabiris Workshop - Custom and Bespoke 3D printed accessories
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155271.0

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Stunning work!

What software are you using for modelling it?

Because I only have the actual .STL file for it, I've been using a mix of meshmixer and Tinkercad for the basic shape functions.

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:09 PM »
I really like this design. Good work.

Sidewalker
Hett'ciri Clan

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Got a bit of work done for a concept of the right earcap.

Rough work at the moment. planning on refining the placement to by more symmetrical as well as going to better inset all of the details so they're more flush mounted than plant on.

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019, 06:52 AM by wmmbuzzkill » Logged

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I love seeing the opportunities 3d Printing allows us to expand upon. This is a great helmet, what material are you using?

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I love seeing the opportunities 3d Printing allows us to expand upon. This is a great helmet, what material are you using?

Helmet material was done with PLA+

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Small updates, it's starting to look like a proper helmet. Rough sanding stage with some sculpting and filling. Still havent nailed down the ear design.

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Scratching the original ear design, went for something a little less cluttered and gives option for more greebling later down the road (or for others!) (I'm highly considering making a mold of this helmet to resin cast a nice limited run if there's interest.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Noice! :like: :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Very nice vod!

Hellwolve

• Darth Kharon
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:34 AM »
(...)
(I'm highly considering making a mold of this helmet to resin cast a nice limited run if there's interest.
(...)

I'm certianly curious about such a thing! Cool work on this helmet! Mostly curious if it'd fit Modern.

"But they, set free from sickness and eld and toils, having fled from the deeply sounding ferry of Akheron."

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:44 AM »
I'm certianly curious about such a thing! Cool work on this helmet! Mostly curious if it'd fit Modern.

There is nothing about the helmet that would put it out of the Modern bracket, considering the base helmet it was modelled on is a modern helmet.

Hellwolve

• Darth Kharon
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Double my interest, then :like: Looking at 'tacticool' as inspiration for my own Mando, so you're speaking to my heart ;D

"But they, set free from sickness and eld and toils, having fled from the deeply sounding ferry of Akheron."

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:16 AM »
Heavy heavy coat of filler primer just laid on, few small defects to fill still and then it goes to a 400 grit wet sand finish. The majority of the bucket design is done! I'm going to forward the build to the App team just to make sure it's all good for modern!

Pic with my current chest armor and a visor quickly installed!

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2019, 01:06 PM by wmmbuzzkill » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:15 AM »
Submit it for new item approval and send Syper a PM.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Wow!! Well done vod! A work of art!

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Submit it for new item approval and send Syper a PM.

Sent it in yesterday! Just waiting for whatever revisions will come back from that.

« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2023, 12:44 PM »
Sent it in yesterday! Just waiting for whatever revisions will come back from that.

Have you gotten any feedback on it yet? This is a beautiful bucket. Would be interested in buying one if you are interested in printing/selling a raw print or even the file. I could see this being a great base for a Pilot build I am planning.

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur

Cabur Akaata #253

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2023, 10:18 PM »
Have you gotten any feedback on it yet? This is a beautiful bucket. Would be interested in buying one if you are interested in printing/selling a raw print or even the file. I could see this being a great base for a Pilot build I am planning.

Hey there, yeah the bucket was approved those years ago. I guess I never posted the final update because it was kind of a mess.

In the end, I wasn't happy with the final sizing of the bucket. I had printed a master helmet and then did my final shaping/sculpting/detailing by hand. During that whole process, I had kind of ignored the fact that the helmet was a little bit small... I decided to make a mold anyways because I am stubborn... Long story short, I got 2 good pulls from that mold and then I tore it... I was a little salty about the whole process and I decided to just let it be for that time... Molding supplies get to be expensive so I had wasted a bunch of money there... anyways...

I've moved home/shop since then and I'm only just getting the shop into order and the odds and sods unpacked and I dug out the OG Corsair that I made the mold from. My plan is to call around and find someone to 3D scan it for me and I'll work towards getting a nice file made which I'll then sell. I would like to eventually make a mold to produce my own casts, it's just not in the cards at the moment... so fingers crossed for 3D scan!

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2023, 09:23 AM »
Hey there, yeah the bucket was approved those years ago. I guess I never posted the final update because it was kind of a mess.

In the end, I wasn't happy with the final sizing of the bucket. I had printed a master helmet and then did my final shaping/sculpting/detailing by hand. During that whole process, I had kind of ignored the fact that the helmet was a little bit small... I decided to make a mold anyways because I am stubborn... Long story short, I got 2 good pulls from that mold and then I tore it... I was a little salty about the whole process and I decided to just let it be for that time... Molding supplies get to be expensive so I had wasted a bunch of money there... anyways...

I've moved home/shop since then and I'm only just getting the shop into order and the odds and sods unpacked and I dug out the OG Corsair that I made the mold from. My plan is to call around and find someone to 3D scan it for me and I'll work towards getting a nice file made which I'll then sell. I would like to eventually make a mold to produce my own casts, it's just not in the cards at the moment... so fingers crossed for 3D scan!

Good Morning Vod,

Let us, The community, know if we can be of help in any way. I'm the guy you were talking to last night through FB. We would love to see this project come to fruition, and I am sure, if those of us in the community want it bad enough, we will be willing to donate to the cause. Good luck in getting yourself settled and set up.

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur

Cabur Akaata #253

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!