Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Beast Hunter WIP

• 51 Replies

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
Beast Hunter WIP
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Decided to pull the trigger on my OM status.

I started with repainting all my plates and the helmet, but still need to weather

Made some Wookie fur arm and leg covers, and a Kama

And started a scratch build with PVC gauntlets and stuff I had laying around

Then started to mod and paint the hasbro e-33

Hold on with a bulldog grip. Chew and choke as much as possible.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Re: Beast Hunter WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:48 PM »
just a heads up vod. cammo is a c.r.l. no no.  ;)

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:02 AM »
just a heads up vod. cammo is a c.r.l. no no.  ;)

I believe it is just real world/identifiable Camo patterns are not allowed. There are examples of in-universe camo patterns that I believe have been used (think Endor rebel troopers). Check with your local Ruus'alor for confirmation

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:31 AM »
apologies, I should have been more exact in my statement. but that is an off the shelf cammo pattern in the first pic isn't it?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Weathering may be able to camo the camo as it were. I have a local clan member with digicam flight suit that has been suitably dyed/weathered to retain the overall hues, but not the distinctive "Camo" pattern.

I really like where the gauntlets are going, can't wait to see them with the filler and first coat of paint.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Weathering or not, if it is identifiable at all as off the shelf camo it will bounce you back in app. If you want to keep that particular flightsuit, I’d dye it black.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Much appreciate the feedback so far everyone.  I’m goi g to go with another black flight suit instead of trying to mod the current set. 

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Nice!

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:50 PM »

I found this image on Pinterest, and it matched just about every element I am going for. 

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:05 AM »

I’m going to attach some Tauntaun tusks to either side of the helmet.  I plan on making them out of EVA foam

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:10 AM »

Went darker on the vest, then added a fur collar to cover the back zipper and upper back.  I also glued more wookie fur under the boot plates

Then moved back to the haunts to sand and prime.  Here’s the right

And the left (my favorite)

Then I went back to the gun.  Filled in the screw holes, sanded off the labeled, then primed.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Coming along really nice so far!
What are you planning on for the flightsuit?  I can recommend using Dickies work clothes if you wanted to go with a two piece set.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:17 PM »
That’s what I was thinking, but I wanted thinner material

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Scrubs would also be a good choice.  My pre-app version was done with grey scrubs, they were pretty easy to work with.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:14 AM »

Swapped the leather belt for a riggers belt.  Weathered the pouches and made a holster for an axe

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:27 AM »

Finished up the boot plates and strapped them to some old combat boots from BMT. 

I know I’m going to regret how heavy these are going to feel.

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Today’s progress, all weathering!

Moved back to the blaster while the paint dried.  Got in the Browns for the stock and pistol, blue accent, leather wrap, then battle damage

Then rounded out the day with gauntlets.  The green paint I used was an ultra-flat, so I sealed it with clear lacquer and it shined right up.

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Time to put it all together....see what breaks off...

I snapped a buckle on one gauntlet, and found out the harness doesn’t play well with my magnets..  The fur combined with the flightsuit made it incredibly hot, I’ll have to cut it down somehow

Kir Ru'Kaya

• Ven’dinui at Mando
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Looks like it's coming together nicely!

Suggestions.
Consistant weathering on the soft parts to match the plate weathering.
The girth belt should at least overlap the top of the cod piece.
The plate spacing looks off in the picture. Esp the diamond and spacing between collar plate and chest.
If you're going for wookie fur, I would suggest seeing if you can add some lighter and darker parts to the fur to make it look more natural.

Compliments.
Great design!
I love fur additions!
Good weathering on the plates, they look appropriate.

O.M. #2189

Talon Ven'ad

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:24 PM »
I think you've done some really good work, especially design wise. I really like the overall feel of your kit, and those gauntlets are sweet.
At a quick glance... Your chest spacing is a tad off, especially at the collar, and chest diamond. You should try to keep the spacing uniform all the way around.
The top of your cod needs to be covered partly by your belt.
Your soft parts and fur could use some additional weathering, as well as the black shiny pouch on your back area.
The backplate needs some additional forming at the shoulder area. It needs to be more flush to your body.
The backplate is OK in your picture but it might be a bit long if you kit up differently. The backplate can't overlap onto your belt or under your belt. You have zero room for error there so you might think about a quick trim of a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch.
Keep up the good work. I'm a Beasthunter and I love seeing new kits for that Brigade.

MMCC OM#1914
Beasthunter-Beastmaster Brigades
Ruus'alor Sol'yc
Mandalorian Mercs Builders Group Administrator

"Every man should lose a battle in his youth, so he does not lose a war when he is old."

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Much appreciate the feedback everyone!

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Fur weathering was the name of the game today.  I got some awesome feedback on a Facebook post with some tip videos.  I used a combination of trimming and painting, then blasted it all with a heat gun.

Side by side comparison

Color pallet used

Kiltedlion

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:03 PM »
The modification/weathering to the fur looks great...much better, don’t forget that weathering the soft parts is just as important. The soft should match the weathering of the hard. Make sure the spacing on your plates are spot on, right now the diamond if off a little. That is an easy fix. Your knees are low in my opinion. The shin pieces should go over them. It is a little hard to tell if they are shknees. if they are, my apologies, but looking at the previous picture I didn’t see knees attached to you shin armor. Also the girth sash/belt should cover the top of th cod. Like I said, these are all easy fixes. Over all the kit looks great, and I know of a little clan mate of yours who is eager for you to join the beast hunters brigade. Of course, lets get you OM first.

SMOKEmifyaGOTM

• The Pagan Mando
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2019, 05:56 PM »
For my melee Weapon, I settled on buying an executioner axe.  Figured axes fit the beast hunter pretty well.  I filled in all the screw holes and re-painted it all over.  Indeed to weather it, but think I’ll call it done after that.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Where did you find That?!

:o :o

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!