Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bernie's Late Crusader - WIP - pic heavy

• 31 Replies

bernie

• "There's no reason we can't be civil"
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ invasions in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
Bernie's Late Crusader - WIP - pic heavy
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:44 PM »
A little bit more than a year ago, I decided to start building a second kit. My first idea was another modern kit, with a more ''foresty vibe'' to it. In the end, I decided against it, seeing as how it would just be the same kit I have, but in green. So why not raise the bar, let's build a new kit, entirely from scratch, top to bottom. And just to add to the challenge, let's make it in one of the more "challenging" era's, the Late Crusader Era.

so, first of all, the inspiration I used was my then current character in SWTOR, my bounty hunter.

Biggest hurdle would be the helmet, I never scratchbuild a single helmet, let alone one that looks like it doesn't have a single straight line in it. But for now, the helmet could wait.

First I made a belt, seeing as how I would connect the torso and the legs with the belt, it seemed like a logical step

After this came the torso. I made some quick templates, checked that all the sizes were correct, and broke out the box cutter. This was the result after my first evening.

Second evening, making good progress. Also made a codpiece, which I tossed out later.

First test fit went ok.

Because it's kinda hard to make a backplate without help, and there were no APs coming in the near future, I started on the jetpack. The basic shape was quickly drawn out, out came the box cutter again, and I got myself a big box of sintra.

Next up, details, all the details... Had a lot of fun with this.

A couple weeks later, went to an AP, got some help with my backplate, which got me the following

Ok, basic torso done. Let's build everything around it and toss it on a mannequin.

Next up, details, details and more details. Oh yeah, and some shoulders and bicep plates as well while we're at it.

At this point I felt confident enough to build the helmet. Unfortunately, I got a little caught up in the moment, and barely took any pictures of the build itself. Made the whole thing in under a week.

rough draft

first test fit with the visor

adding the first "tooth"

and the second one, along with some more details

Primed it, bondoed it, primed it, bondo again. Most people here will know the pain. She's huge, like, really huge. Compared to my old helmet, it's massive.

Then again, I have a massive head, so yeah, it still barely fits me.

At this point, we we're somewhere in september, weather was getting cool enough again to paint. Seeing as how a bare sintra kit isn't approvable..., I broke out the airbrush. First a test piece, took one of the shoulder plates.

Wasn't very happy, so redid it in white, added a blue stripe and some dirt to it, looked much better.

Both shoulders done

Did the rest of the torso afterwards, now we're getting somewhere. I love it when you start seeing actual progress, getting closer to that finish line.

Next up, the helmet. She came out beautiful, if I say so myself.

Her home for the time being

Currently I'm priming and painting the leg parts, but that's an update for another time. Probably next week or so.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Re: Bernie's Late Crusader - WIP - pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:58 PM »
C'est magnifique!!! A truly stunning build..... your attention to detail is fantastic. Awesome work mate.  :like: :like: :like:

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2019, 09:33 AM by jett drexel » Logged

Horr'orr Jadir

• Order through Chaos.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:26 PM »
 :o  :o  :o  :like:

Following. Great work so far!

Dekan Korr

• Hold my blue milk
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work Celebration Chicago
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:40 PM »
Holy osik. This is fantastic. Also following, since this is my next build:

Still building templates. Hope to be to the cutting Sintra stage by the end of the month.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. By orders of magnitude. || Thingiverse

Shev'la Ram'ser

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:11 AM »
amazing job so far, really looking forward to more!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:00 AM »
That looks fantastic! Commenting to follow along. The details in there are superb.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kol Hokan

• Armor does not make a warrior, spirit does.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous build!  Keep working and keep updating!  I absolutely love everything that you are doing!

Alex Cole .... Clan: Concordia .... CAT#: 0787 .... Brigade#: 278
Concordia Clan Tra'alor 2023
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2018-2020
Concordia Clan Alor'ad 2013-2016
Brigade Marshal 2014-2016
501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:54 AM »
Thank you for all the images. It really helps visual learners  get from point A to point B

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Freefall

• AKA Adenn Tor AKA Rhase Lob'stah.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:28 PM »
WOW, fantastic work!  Can't wait to see more!

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:45 PM »
These scratchbuilds certainly make me aware of how much my own skills need improvement.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Tusken Dan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Inspiring work vod!  Really top notch! Good luck with the rest of the build

Kol Hokan

• Armor does not make a warrior, spirit does.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:27 PM »
I just keep coming back and looking at this WIP!  A few questions, since I'm hoping to start a similar build in the near future.

How much does the jetpack weigh and how is it attached to the backplate?  And, secondly, how do you you keep the weight from shifting backwards and causing your chest piece to ride up (thus choking you)? Does attaching it directly to the belt in the front help that much?

Alex Cole .... Clan: Concordia .... CAT#: 0787 .... Brigade#: 278
Concordia Clan Tra'alor 2023
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2018-2020
Concordia Clan Alor'ad 2013-2016
Brigade Marshal 2014-2016
501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Amazing work!  :o

Lorrd Griffon

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:37 AM »
Impressive  is something of an understatement . This is truly  incredible

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Holy crap.  Just...wow.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:25 PM »
That is a seriously cool build!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

bernie

• "There's no reason we can't be civil"
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ invasions in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I just keep coming back and looking at this WIP!  A few questions, since I'm hoping to start a similar build in the near future.

How much does the jetpack weigh and how is it attached to the backplate?  And, secondly, how do you you keep the weight from shifting backwards and causing your chest piece to ride up (thus choking you)? Does attaching it directly to the belt in the front help that much?

The jetpack weights about 4,5 pounds, so it's pretty light. There's a harness underneath the torso armour, which connects to the grey and blue soft section, which in turn connects to the belt. There are also two additional straps which attach the jetpack to the rear of the belt, which can be used to pull it tight. It all stays pretty well in place.

Anyhoo, picture time!

Finished the gaunts some time ago as well, so might as well show them off.

One side has a piano hinge, the other side is magnetized. I just put enough in there till it wouldn't open up after shaking it around a bit.

And painted

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Well.....this is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen.  Simply stellar work sir.  I foresee this being a benchmark WIP for Late Crusader builds for many years.   :8):

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:12 AM »
As I've seen this in RL already, It looks stunning. :o
The level of skills that crawled out and "energized" this build is beyond compare.
Love to seeing you wear it in the upcoming cons.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:43 AM »
Jaw-dropping doesn't even begin to describe this build so far. Kandosii!

Kirill_Evgenev

• Also know as Tash
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Kandosii nervod, really like this WIP! Attention to details is incredible

Andr_Soul

• I will show no mercy!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:06 PM »
 :like:

Vassk

• I will make it legal
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Absolutely amazing looking armor Bernie  :like: Now I kinda regret that I started another modern build instead of SWTOR mando  :laugh:

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Love seeing more Late Crusader builds moving forward.  Your kit so far is superb.  I look forward to seeing it completed.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 88
mandalorianarmour.org

Dekan Korr

• Hold my blue milk
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work Celebration Chicago
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2019, 12:15 AM »
I can't get over how awesome all of this looks. LC bar has been set.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. By orders of magnitude. || Thingiverse

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!