Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom 3D printed helmet

• 10 Replies
Custom 3D printed helmet
« on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Hey guys! It's been a minute or two since I've been on here!

I want to share with you all something that I'm really excited about. This helmet has gone through a few iteration, and now has been approved by the AP team and I've begun the making of it!! It was designed and sculpted in Zbrush and printed out on a couple of my printers. I'm currently working on the seams and making them disappear.

A big shout out to my buddy Raestin for his help and initial feedback, and the awesome people on the AP team! You all are awesome!!

Now, on to the photos! Renders of my goal of the final look of the helmet will come tomorrow. :D
Note: the last of the "clay" renders is a 360 turnaround video. :)

Me wearing the helmet! :D

I hope you guys like it!! I'm super excited about this bucket!

Zbrush | Rhino3D | Fusion360 | Pixal Designs

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Custom 3D printed helmet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Finally! Glad to see it!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Amazing Buy'ce Vod. Can't wait to see it finished.

Prudii Vok'Chi

• Official member #0014
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Wow, that helmet looks amazing.

If you ever make a cast I'd buy one.

I'll watch this thread with anticipation  :)

"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid".

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Woo-hoo!!  So happy to see it finished dude!  It turned out awesome!!!!  Put me on the list for sure.  :D

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2017, 12:53 PM »
So... Those renders are still coming for the time being here are a few! :D

So an update on the helmet. All the seams are filled in and I'm just working on getting it exactly how I want it. Which is kinda tough since it is PLA. (prints easy, but post processing is difficult) BUT!!! I have talked to several friends of mine and have an idea.

I'm going to be making a quick mold of the helmet and fill it with Monster Clay and finish that. It's really easy material to work with and strong enough to produce a cast from it.

The plan is after that, I'll mold it, and produce a fiberglass helmet. :) Still trying to figure out the best resins for that, but I have a few options that I'm considering, and with a mold created for this helmet (planned at least) I am thinking about doing a run of this helmet. Thinking about doing a few fiberglass helmets, and "normal" resin casts (wouldn't be reinforced with fiberglass and would probably be cheaper)

Thoughts? Would you want one of these buckets?! :D And yes, I'm wanting the ears to have light built into them. :D

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2017, 04:33 PM »
This looks great, the metallic finish looks awesome

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Update time!

Over the past bit, I've asked a lot of people feedback on colors and whatnot, and have sanded and sanded and sanded down a lot of this helmet. But a week or so ago, a friend of mine suggested making a junk mold and finishing the cast from that. That is what I've been up to. This weekend I made the first half of the mold. Mold walls were made from Monster Clay and I am going to cast this with Monster Clay once the mold is finished and then clean up the clay casting.

Who knows, maybe I'll add some battle damaged variants or some ornate engraving. What do you guys think?

Finished render concept

WIP of mold and casting

Finished half mold

Now to just wait till my next batch of silicone arrives...

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Junk moulds can be effective but arenít necessarily cheap. Iíd say do a fiberglass layer over that side while youíre waiting or some other rigid material to hold your silicone in the shape itís supposed to be.

QMU#084
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Junk moulds can be effective but arenít necessarily cheap. Iíd say do a fiberglass layer over that side while youíre waiting or some other rigid material to hold your silicone in the shape itís supposed to be.

Ya, but this PLA is being a pain to finish. Otherwise I'd stick it out.

I'm going to wait a bit on the fiberglass, because I want to add a little bit more silicone to the back by the keyslots.

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Ya, but this PLA is being a pain to finish. Otherwise I'd stick it out.

I'm going to wait a bit on the fiberglass, because I want to add a little bit more silicone to the back by the keyslots.
Totally. Iíve got an easy way to quickly remove the print lines though. Even on PLA.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!