Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Panzer - First Build WIP *Pic Heavy*

• 62 Replies
Panzer - First Build WIP *Pic Heavy*
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:07 AM »
So I've been working with my clan to build my first Kit. One of them suggested that I should create a build thread here and get some feedback from everyone. The build is not complete yet but I will update as I go. I've been taking pictures as I went so I will go through everything - even the parts that I messed up on and the Clan suggested fixes.

Please feel free to comment and let me know if I'm on the right track.

The build started with a question to the App Team about a Do3d Boba Fett 3d model.
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=160040.0
I wanted to know if the model would be appropriate for any of the Eras because I liked the overall look. As it turned out the helmet was acceptable for a Modern Build.

With the Helmet done it took me a bit to start working on the armor as I didn't really know the best place to start. I researched a little and figured that the vest was the best place to create the base. I am not very good on a sewing machine so I went through the trading post and found someone to commission to build it.  K'raam Xrati built it - fit like a glove!

Eventually I figured out Sintra was the go-to for armor plates which I had never worked with before. I was very taken back with how easy it was to work with! I used the Jango fett templates from the forums (Not sure the original maker) and a local sign shop provided the Materials. They were 6mm.

Small hiccup which my clan pointed out while I was heat shaping was the distance between the plates is very specific. I shaped them on a mannequin which didn't work so well. Huge thanks to Ciryc Ca'tra for catching this early and sparing alot of pain later.

I reheated and shaped the plates directly to my body creating a MUCH better fit.

Time for some paint and some "Duct tape" mounting.

Came across some black Faux Fur and I needed to incorporate it into the build.

Work continued on the kit - this time focus on the shoulders shoulders

Quick 3d print on the bracers.

I was walking through walmart and saw a Nerf Blaster guy... I needed it. The clan told me I needed to seriously "de-Nerf" it if I wanted any chance of it passing through the app team. I filled the screw holes with Bondo, Injected the insides with smoothcast resin (so the springs and such wouldn't rattle) and gave it a complete paint job. (sorry best pics I have on this one)

Painted and such.

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 09:57 AM by Panzer_Elite » Logged

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Panzer - First Build WIP *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:38 AM »
so far everything seems to be in order, I was having issues pulling up the weapon photo, but I'm worried it hasn't quite been modified enough.

that being said, excellent work smoothing out that helmet!

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:41 AM »
I wasn't satisfied with how small the shoulder pad sat on the suit. So I dug around and found another that could sit ontop of it to add a little bulk.

Next I came across a bandolier on wish that I thought would compliment the build perfectly!

bandolier needs something in it... so I modeled the capsules from the Mandalorian tv show thats coming out. Sadly my printer has been in better shape so I have to do each capsule one at a time...

Little bit of a road bump here. I had an extra shoulder pad that didn't quite work out that I heated and thought 'Bicep armor!". I was told that you can't use the same template for a different part of the body... I was dissapointed. But I did say I would post mistakes here :P

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 09:58 AM by Panzer_Elite » Logged

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:46 AM »
I love the shoulders you added!
here is a tutorial from the war college that can possibly help

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=159524.0

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 10:20 AM by redraynos14 » Logged
|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:48 AM »
Moving down the body I started working on the belt. I was a pretty hardcore batman cosplayer before getting into this build so ... belts are something I am VERY familiar with lol. I picked a belt pouch model and printed away! To keep my printer from hating me I opted to create a mold of this one and do casts.

I love the shoulders you added!
I know its not a "nerf" brand but here is a tutorial from the war college that can possibly help

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=159524.0

Oh Cool! I'm not the first nut to try something like this lol. Thanks for the encouraging words! I've been nervous to post! I found the original pictures on my phone - check it out  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 01:15 PM by Havelock » Logged

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Lots of great work here, the colors look good, I especially dig that shade of red. I'm a fan of the helmet too, and you assembled it really well, looks sick man!
The gun is gonna need a fair amount of work. Your paint job on it is solid, but you'll want to modify it to change the look so you can't tell which nerf it was when you're done. Cut some pieces off, add some panels or a cowling for part, maybe cut a chunk from the front and add a pipe barrel? Lots of ways to do it.
You've got some great work going on and you clearly know what you're doing. Can't wait to see this thing finished

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Lots of great work here, the colors look good, I especially dig that shade of red. I'm a fan of the helmet too, and you assembled it really well, looks sick man!
The gun is gonna need a fair amount of work. Your paint job on it is solid, but you'll want to modify it to change the look so you can't tell which nerf it was when you're done. Cut some pieces off, add some panels or a cowling for part, maybe cut a chunk from the front and add a pipe barrel? Lots of ways to do it.
You've got some great work going on and you clearly know what you're doing. Can't wait to see this thing finished

Thanks for the encouraging words! I I'll play a little more with the gun - the suggestions sound like there is still some fun to be had there :)

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 11:13 AM by Panzer_Elite » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Great work so far! As Ronin said, certain sections of the weapon will need to be modified to eliminate the nerf silhouette. Certain things include the charge slide, pistol grip, and the bottom end of the front of the pistol. It'll take a bit of work, but I would recommend taking a look at that War College article for some extra ideas and assistance! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:16 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

This is a really interesting build.  Watching with interest.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:35 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

The posts have been combined.

This is a really interesting build.  Watching with interest.

Sorry about that, I tried to clean it up after Kol Var'Das mentioned the rule. I was honestly just trying to make it easier to post - but I will be more careful in the future.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:10 PM »
No worries.   ;D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Some more progress on the build. I started working on the codpiece. I laid two pieces of sintra together and used gorilla glue to hold them. After the glue set I used some Free form air to fill the gaps. It's an epoxy puddy that when glued is super light weight.

A little black primer...

I hit the cod with leak seal to help fill and hide blemishes. Also gives it a basic texture like the rest of the build.

Also managed to finish the belt pouch mold and do a few castings. funny thing was I was running out of 65d casting resin and ended up ordering smoothcast 325. I didn't realize it was a clear resin. Not a big deal - just threw me off when it wasn't going solid lol.

In regards to the belt I've been doing Batman Cosplays for around 10 years. I've made dozens of belts using a tool box liner that is made out of some kind of urethane rubber. It takes paint well and has always served me as a base for all my utility belts. I figured it would do the trick!

Finally I did some painting on my little chest capsules. This was actually very time consuming to do as each one I painted the silver by hand.

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2019, 10:42 PM by Panzer_Elite » Logged

Jayrodadon

• "Coffee gone, helmet on."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Dude, this is coming together so well!

How are you thinking of attaching the pouches to the belt?

OM #2240
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156
"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for." -Baltan Carid, Legacy of the Force: Revelation
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Dude, this is coming together so well!

How are you thinking of attaching the pouches to the belt?

When I do a belt I do the pouches in solid resin, makes them easy to screw into. So I will come at them at the back of the belt screws and a larger washer. Only challenge with this build will be the weight - I may have to reduce them amount of pouches but we will see.

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:04 AM »
I like your way of doing things in a diffrent way sometimes. Specially with using resin inside the gun to give it more weight and more important don't get the tinkering stuff inside!

Keep up the good work, I liked reading your progress so far.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:12 PM »
I like your way of doing things in a diffrent way sometimes. Specially with using resin inside the gun to give it more weight and more important don't get the tinkering stuff inside!

Keep up the good work, I liked reading your progress so far.

Thanks, Oddballcase!
I've been doing prop making for almost a decade so I've kinda learned what works for me and what doesn't. Having said that this a VERY different build for me. I usually just focused on superheroes!

Okay a little bit of updates...
Continued work on the belt. With it painted I moved onto putting in a fastener system. I started by sewing an elastic band to the back after that I used velcro to hook the pieces together.

I finished the belt pouch castings and got a good chuckle out of having bought the wrong resin. I wasn't expecting it to be clear!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 2/2019

I tried a quick suit up after mounting the new cod piece under the belt. Unfortunately the weight of the belt pouches was FAR too much - the belt sagged down and was a little uncomfortable to wear.

I made the call to remove the front 3 pouches and that seemed to balance things out better.

I found the extra set of shoulder pads made it extremely difficult work with while doing my test fits. I made the decision to lose them, I also padded the inside of the helmet to let it sit a little higher so the fur wouldn't interfere with it.

I think I'm finished the top half of the build. I'm hoping to get some work in on the bottom half with the shin guards and kneepads later this weekend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 4/2019

Its been a Couple days and I have Started working on the bottom half of the build. I got some more sintra and used the same template to create the shapes that I used from the top half. Took it out for a round of cutting after that I did some heat shaping.

Gorilla glue to pin the detail keys ontop of the shin guards.

March 5/2019

After a day the gorilla glue was cured and ready for cleanup. I once again used Free Form air to fill the gaps like I did with the codpiece.

March 6/2019

The Shinguard are ready for Painting and Black wash weathering. So I figured I would take tonight to work on the boots.

Old set of worn out Batman boot seemed to be the easiest solution for the base boot. I used Velcro and Gorilla glue to hold the armor plates to the boot.

Finally I ended tonight with correcting an issue I had from the test fit earlier this week. The capsules kept falling out of the Bandolier so I super glued them into place. That will fix their wagons! Lol

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 12:43 AM by Panzer_Elite » Logged
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Alright, so now I am moving back to the gun. Redraynos14 mentioned to me earlier on about checking out a weapon called a "Bryar" for inspiration since it had similarities to my nerf gun. When I saw the gun I went "I need that" lol. I found a file on 3d model CGtrader and went to town!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Loving the armour and helmet vod. Looking good.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:41 PM »
LOVE the way you build up you leg and cod pieces. I might use it myself

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Looking like you're making some awesome progress! I'd like to see a photo of you square with the camera, it looks like your torso plates might be a bit wide. I'm really digging the colors, this is looking great!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Looking like you're making some awesome progress! I'd like to see a photo of you square with the camera, it looks like your torso plates might be a bit wide. I'm really digging the colors, this is looking great!

I was wondering that might be a thing - I'll take a shot tonight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talked my wife into a couple of suited up shots on my cell phone.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2019, 06:50 PM by Panzer_Elite » Logged

Kol Varek

« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:34 PM »
Yeah, it does appear the collar and chest plates are a bit wide. I would recommend trimming a half inch off of those outer collar and chest edges and see how that goes. It looks really good altogether, I must say! Don't forget about that second belt and those knees!  ;)

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:34 AM »
Looking very good, I like the cape. Are you planning on doing thigh armour as well?  I agree, looks like you could trim a bit off the outside edge of your chest plates, but if you want to check it visually first, you could always put a line of electrical tape down that edge and post the pic here prior to trimming.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:05 AM »
You've done an amazing job on this!  Kol's got you steered in the right direction,  and GardenGeek's suggestion is pretty good.  That way, we can see if it's too much at 1/2" taken off, without actually cutting it.

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 10:56 AM by Straka Zulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jayrodadon

• "Coffee gone, helmet on."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Dude, I'm so looking forward to trooping with you. Your kit is slick.

We should do our Batman/Bane poses in kit sometime.
Especially as your cod is not as intimidating now. ;)

Dave's Cod VS My Cod https://imgur.com/a/4ODZfU5

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 10:52 AM by Jayrodadon » Logged
OM #2240
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156
"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for." -Baltan Carid, Legacy of the Force: Revelation

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!