Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet electronics help

• 10 Replies
Helmet electronics help
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:36 PM »
How could I add cheap "hearing aids" to my helmet?  I know how to add fans and whatnot, but the sound amplification system confuses me.

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2019, 10:32 PM by Thrawndike Bar » Logged
"I am of the Mando'ade.  The fight is everything."
-Rohlan Dyre
Re: Helmet electronics help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:48 AM »
I haven’t had a chance do it myself yet, but here’s one fairly detailed tutorial:

http://mynocksden.com/projects/stormtrooper-helmet-upgrade/environment-amplification.html

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:36 AM »
As a second possibility you can search for the Velleman super stereo ear DIY kit. It's what I use in my helmet and you'll only need to add wire between the mics and the board. You'll need stereo headphones in addition.

Resin helmets for sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2019, 01:24 PM »
I used the vellman kit it works way better  than I expected. 

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

Vorpal

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 03:52 AM »
I too use Velleman MK136 Super Stereo Ear Mini Kit. I replaced the mic with 3mm condencer mics. Drilled a 3mm hole on my helmet behind the triangle on the rangefinder side and a 3mm hole is the grove the the other earcap. I then panted a black strip up the grove. This hides the mics wonderfully and I can hear people talking behind me easily. The bonus of this system is you still get directional hearing.

ti his kov'nyn

Druj Jes

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:24 AM »
The only downside I have had is sometimes getting feedback due to the location of the mics, and headphones.  Something minor to work out...

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 10:25 PM »
Thanks!  That Velleman stereo kit seems pretty interesting.  Though I don't have too much experience with electronics.  I know how to connect a fan or something like that to a battery, but that's pretty much it.  I'm lost when it comes to circuit boards and stuff.  How much electronics know how would be necessary to put  together one of these kits?

-Rohlan Dyre

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 04:18 AM »
Basically no knowledge is required, you just need to solder and follow the instructions. The board has a silkscreen and the instructions are very precise what parts are placed at which position (watch for polarity). The only thing you need to to, that is not covered by the instruction is to place some wire between the mics and the terminals on the board so you can place them freely in your helmet.

Resin helmets for sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Thank you.   So all I would need to get besides the kit, is some wire and a pair of stereo headphones?  I've got a soldering iron.

-Rohlan Dyre

Druj Jes

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 05:59 PM »
That's right.  It is really a good little kit.

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:09 AM »
I have assembled two of the Velman stereo kits so far and BOTH have some sort of massive feedback issue. Though the systems "appear" to function, they have an overpowering deep tone buzzing noise that pretty much makes them useless.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

I have assembled two of the Velman stereo kits so far and BOTH have some sort of massive feedback issue. Though the systems "appear" to function, they have an overpowering deep tone buzzing noise that pretty much makes them useless.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Fine then, I will answer my own question.

The buzz is coming from line interference, so to mitigate this, I twisted the mic wires and added a 10mF ceramic capacitor (little round, yellow disk marked "104") across the leads AT the mic and a 10k resistor doing the same at the board, essentially creating a "low pass filter".

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2020, 03:38 AM by Jarek Tahl-Tracyn » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!