Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Desertscavenger's WIP 4/6/19

• 15 Replies

desertscavenger

• Ay'ya Tills - 2247
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Desertscavenger's WIP 4/6/19
« on: Mar 24, 2019, 12:50 AM »
Hey everyone! I have been working on my kit for a bit with hope of having it done for Celebration. Here is what I have so far.
The armor is going to be mostly "slivian" gold with some white here and there.
First, the helmet painted with the visor installed

For the helmet I want to put a crystal crown on to it, so we got a few crystals and this is the basic shape of the crown

The crystals will be wrapped together in some wire and then attached to the helmet.

For the chest armor, I cut apart a mannequin torso to get the cupped style armor. And for the knees I am are going with Sabine Wren style knees that were made from PVC pipes. They were all sanded and primed

Then I did a gloss black coat to help the metal coat look better

Then everything got a few coats of paint.

For the belt - got a Nylon webbing belt, and made a Han Solo inspired belt buckle.

I wanted to be able to carry water with me while trooping so I got a cool flask and wrapped it in rope, and I will be carrying that on my belt.

In that picture you can also see the cod plate, and my shoulder armor. I am going for layered/ segmented plates. Gonna try and connect each plate with a chain underneath to help with mobility.
I also have a rope girth belt, that I'm working on.

Might make it a strand or two wider but we shall see.

For the flightsuit I found this jumpsuit online that I really like. Might have to alter the collar a bit to fit under the vest comfortably.

I also have boots that I plan on using for my kit, and I'll post pics of those soon.
My wonderful friend Fragowump is helping me with making a knife that will be my weapon.
We still have quite a few things to do, but I am confident we will have it ready for celebration!

Also, will this pouch work for approval?

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2021, 03:09 PM by desertscavenger » Logged
>>Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.<<

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Desertscavenger's WIP 3/23/19 *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2019, 01:56 AM »
Happy to see you got your wip started!

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2019, 08:03 AM »
That style of pouch will be perfectly fine.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

vaderqueenzamora

• "No outsider will ever rule Mandalore."
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2019, 02:28 AM »
I love the way it is turning out!! I am wanting to do a rose gold with teal for my suit.

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2019, 04:50 AM »
Fantastic!  Can't wait to see you get those kill stripes!

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Those colors are gonna be gorgeous, vod. Your helmet is already so beautiful  :<3:

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Your progress is looking great! :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

desertscavenger

• Ay'ya Tills - 2247
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2019, 03:24 PM »

This is a rough mock up of my plates with both belts.

This is my flight suit on, and working on the kama (a faux suede material). It's inside out here.

Would like to put these wrapped crystals on the forehead of my bucket, as I want my kit to have a collection of natural artifacts (kyber crystals). Looking for feedback please!

This is the second visor I have put in that has crinkled. Does anyone have advice for preventing crinkle or fixing it?

Almost done with my vest (special thanks to Mando Mama!). Here are photos of the vest.

I have my gauntlets almost done too but no pictures yet. Any feedback or advice is welcome!

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2019, 10:33 PM by desertscavenger » Logged
>>Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.<<

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2019, 11:20 PM »
Great progress! The flight suit looks good and the plates look to be a good size.  When you get a chance can you get a picture wearing the vest?

Official Member #1132
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:

Post Imperial WIP:

desertscavenger

• Ay'ya Tills - 2247
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Here's a photo of where the gauntlets are at right now.

Here are the boots I will be using

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2019, 02:17 PM by desertscavenger » Logged

Vexos

• Because we must.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Those boots will work fine but the laces will have to be covered. What closure method do you plan on using for the gauntlets ?

Official Member #1132
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:

Post Imperial WIP:

desertscavenger

• Ay'ya Tills - 2247
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Today at WonderCon I was able to get some help from Kryamla and Mirdala (thank you both!) on placing my plates, tracing them onto the vest.

My gauntlets are taped for now but will have a 3d printed lock and pin system. I know I am missing my chest diamond. I am going to shave off a bit of the belly plate on the bottom, and the sides of the collar plate so it lines us with the breast plates. Forming the teeth of the breast plates closer to my body. Shaping the collar plate a bit.

Next to do is sew the velcro onto the vest; add wraps on the boots, laces, and shins; paint the kama (where the white tape stripes are placeholding); and cut down the belt buckle. I also need to work on cutting out my back plate. Then of course painting everything.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019, 01:01 AM by desertscavenger » Logged

desertscavenger

• Ay'ya Tills - 2247
Re: Desertscavenger's WIP 4/6/19 * Help Needed
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2019, 05:19 AM »

All velcro sewed to vest, plates attached, and all pieces assembled. We made more adjustments to the collar plate, and back plate.

Both belts have been made to be adjustable. My canteen and pouch is attached too.

I added fabric leg wraps. Gauntlets have been finished.

Bucket off.

Knife crafted by Frag. Painted by Victor M.

So much love and thanks towards my family that helped me put this kit together. Without them it would not have been possible. Eternally grateful. Mando Mama, Vexos, Ernie, Ivonne, etc. 💗

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2019, 05:23 AM by desertscavenger » Logged

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2019, 06:04 AM »
Very nice. Can't be much left to go now.

Only thing that I can see is the spacing between plates. Looks like the chest plates want to move a little closer together (they've been rotated slightly outwards at the bottom). The ab will then need trimming to correctly sit in the gap so that all the spacing between it and the chest is equal. And the centre point of the collar needs trimming back to be a plain cut not a pointy bit, or the top of the chest plates could do with the pointy bit  mirroring in them so again the spacing is equal all along that edge.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Mirdala Senaar

• Mirdala Senaar
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Actually, I believe the spacing of the chest plates is fine.  There is a shadow at the top on the left (her right) that is making look as though it is off.

Gorgeous!

Clan Manda'galaar / OM # 1684 / Invasions: 88 (2/17/19)

Kris Jasra

« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Actually, I believe the spacing of the chest plates is fine.  There is a shadow at the top on the left (her right) that is making look as though it is off.

I'm not sure which shadow you are referring to, there's one that makes one plate appear to have an extra notch on it in just one photo? I was referring to the space between the chest plates above the diamond which is smaller than the gap between the chest plates below the diamond, there is a slight rotation outwards. This spacing has been before and more than likely will be pulled on an application, as will the different spacing around the ab plate. In the interests of not having what is otherwise an excellent kit not pass, it is better to be mentioned now.

Edit: I put it into photoshop. The red lines are the same so that shows I'm not going crazy (I was starting to doubt myself) :P The green is areas that may want trimming ones the chest plates are all equal.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2019, 04:44 PM by Kris Jasra » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!