Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bruce's First Build WIP

• 5 Replies
Bruce's First Build WIP
« on: Mar 24, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Thank you Celebration Chicago for motivating me! Time to crank!!!!!  :porg2: :porg2: :porg2:

I removed the original way I sewed down the neck hole and replaced it with bias tape, looks much cleaner and I did the same with the top portions of the front and back of the vest.  In addition I sewed in some velcro pieces to attach the two sides.  The edges of vest near my shoulders will be sewn together so that the piece will stay put, but the velcro will allow me to get my head in and out:

Here's a few looks with the backplate hanging over:

Here's a couple from the front, I am holding this together by pressing my arms to my body so it looks a little loose. Also the line below the random piece of string is where my belly button is:

Another next step is to figure out where to cut my arm holes and if I want attach the sides using velcro or buckles

Some dripping on the helmet and fish eye spots going on the top, re-sanding and then throwing primer on again. Also got the other plates primed, might do another light sand on them with 500 grit paper and prime again so I can get some of the white spots I missed on the sides

Hi I'm a little late to posting this WIP  :porg2: !!!!

Currently I've got my chest plates, ab plate, collar plate, shoulder bells and chest diamond sanded. 

As far as my back plate, I need to trim the parts that reach over my shoulders just a touch and then sand it.

I just cut out the visor to my helmet so I need to wash and sand that next.

I am currently working on my flak vest right now.  I've never sewed before so this has been quite the learning experience for me.  I used an old dress shirt as a template to cut out the vest.  afterwards though I realized that this dress shirt I cut up might not have been the best template so I looked for another shirt (didn't cut it up) but used it to help me improve on my measurements.  I got half of the neck hole sewed up, using bias tape on the inside. Next step is to sew the other half of the neck hole and attach the two halves of the vest together by sewing the ends where my shoulders terminate and use velcro to close up my traps leading to the neck hole.

Below are some photos from a bit earlier in the process. Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2019, 11:48 PM by ChemicalRise » Logged

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Bruce's First Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Following. Keep up the good work!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2019, 11:56 PM »
Just updated this. Realized I have been just modifying the original post so it still has the original posting date.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2019, 09:58 AM »
You can reply to your own thread with updates so it is more chronological. That said good work. Glad to see your vest coming along nicely.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Just make sure that there's at least 24 hours between posts when you're responding to yourself.   :)  This is looking really nice, by the way.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

cwahl

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2019, 12:42 AM »
Following!  :porg1:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!