Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Third times the charm WIP (Pic Heavy)

• 45 Replies

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
Re: Third times the charm WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:41 PM »
I'm so sorry that life came at you swinging. I am sure you'll get the pieces back together soon vod. I am glad to see you back.

As for the helmet, my immediate reaction to your seeing it was exactly this:
"Oh my gaaaaaawwwwd I love it!!!" *insert happy annoying squealing noises.

Seriously, your helmet looks spectacular! Time and patience my friend, I totally understand. It paid off, this is amazing!

« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Note to anyone doing this solo the first time. Cut then paint, cut the face hole then paint, dont paint anything before cutting the face hole, paint the lid after cutting the face hole.

That said, I've just cut the face after having masked the whole lid!

The weather is non-compliant in the north right now (distinctly flipping wet) so heres the snaps! Plus an extra one where I'm doing my best dwarf impression.

And finally, Dwarf!

I'll be remasking the silver, but I'm not sure if I want to grey prime and then white, or just go straight up to white. I will be doing a few small toothpaste masks in addition to what's already there.

Brute Force and Ignorance are capable of changing the universe.

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

Brute Force allows you to break the rules that others can merely bend.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Just as a warning, I highly recommend switching from Photobucket to imgur or Flikr (I personally prefer imgur). Photobucket gets problematic when you get more pictures on it.

Also. Great progress. You're making me want to work on my dazzle camo kit :P

« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Fair enough! I've switched over to Imgur and I'll see how stable/workable it is for me. Is there a short code to post an image rather than an external link? Just thinking for eyes on and opinions, people tend not to follow multiple external links.

I've taken a gander at your Privateer WIP, I say you need to get to it and push for the dazzle club (theres a club right?)  :P

---

I've decided to go for the grey prime between the black and white to help with colour coverage. I'm just hoping it plays out right!

Also the light was playing just right!

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2019, 04:54 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #34 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Fair enough! I've switched over to Imgur and I'll see how stable/workable it is for me. Is there a short code to post an image rather than an external link? Just thinking for eyes on and opinions, people tend not to follow multiple external links.

I've taken a gander at your Privateer WIP, I say you need to get to it and push for the dazzle club (theres a club right?)  :P

---

I've decided to go for the grey prime between the black and white to help with colour coverage. I'm just hoping it plays out right!

Also the light was playing just right!

http://imgur.com/gallery/TDCsIYs

If you add "" after, it will post as a picture here rather then making people follow a link

« Reply #35 on: Oct 12, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Just double quotation marks after the https?

Dazzling! https://imgur.com/gallery/CVnc7kN""

So! The tape came off, and it's pretty damn clean. The white matte rustoleum can be used along with duck tape to repair battle tanks! Having had to take a scouring pad to the toothpaste sections to lift it attests to how much of a pain it may be to scratch and weather the lid, but there we go.

I dont think its had quite the desired effect, as it's not really distracting from the lines of the helmet. It is going to be more difficult to track when moving quickly I think, but that'll have to wait until I get everything done and do some kind of urban parkour set.

---

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2019, 03:09 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #36 on: Oct 12, 2019, 11:10 PM »
It definitely makes my eyes try to go cross-eyed

J'Khara Vontess

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:26 AM »
That looks fantastic and your lines are so clean and straight! Also, yes I too am ready for a dazzle club   :D

« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Thank you both!

A very brief update, good weather and some time to myself in my greeblies box got me off my sheb and get the gauntlets base painted.

The above will have LED's (on order) in most of the holes, and a stub antenna toward the elbow end which will link to the same on my helmet ear cap.

Sadly the seam is quite prominent despite my best efforts to get rid of it. I'll add some windscreenwiper E-11/ Luke's lightsabre style radiator fins to hide that and enhance the effect.

Now to let it settle for 18hrs or so...

---

Edit: Photobucket now blurs photos based on bandwidth or some rubbish? It hosts for free, but will blur&watermark any images hosted beyond 25mb unless you pay $5.99 a month.

---

Query: If I was to make a "Cuy'val Dar" referance on my armour, other than dating my OM, would I be treading on toes?

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 02:51 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2019, 11:17 PM »
That masking job on the helmet is INSANE!!
 :like: :sabine: :like:

I like the idea of using the T-tracks to hide the seam.

I'm honestly not sure about the Cuy'val Dar; are you thinking sigil or just a bit of Mando'a on the kit?  And, BTW, my character is also Cuy'val Dar.  He just doesn't advertise it.  ;)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Thanks Straka Zulu!

I'm thinking a Sigil on his backplate. I'm trying to find a UK or nearby EU reputable source for a Phase 2 Clone Trooper backplate.

I'll be modifying it to power the Wester gauntlet, and possibly link to a belt mounted radio (Clansman shell).

All in it'll place him and his gear at a specific time, and would fit stylistically.

----

Posting snaps of my right gauntlet taped up. Although for some reason Imgur is trying to make it hidden so...

---
Edit, second gauntlet almost masked. Practicing a technique for the breast/back plate.

---
Edit, I've been working on the Comm Earcap instead of the tape tonight.

I'm still planning on using the stub antenna on the earpiece, and need a platform to mount them on.

The earcap is going to be extended sideways by about the same thickness, by using a spraycan cap. I'll be filling it with body filler, and then cutting a section out and sanding it smooth. That'll give me a short flat platform that can hide appropriate unseen tech.

The pencil lines show where I'll be cutting the rangefinder stem to create a HF style antenna blade (you might know such as the fins on the top of your car).

I'll also be considering adding a pair of blinking LED's on the top, the wires running down the ridge, and the batteries hidden in the earcap proper.

---
Edit, Line drawing.

As noted in my last edit, I'll be cutting down to one of two lines. I'll be following the horizontal line, but I've got a bit of a puzzler. The blue line preserves more of the extra material and the shape, but will bunch the antenna. The black line will lose alot of the puck, however it will allow me more space for the antenna (realism being a thing).

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2019, 02:32 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

« Reply #41 on: Oct 18, 2019, 03:34 PM »
I appreciate I may get a knuckle rap for this, but it's a distinct step from my last post a few days back. It will contain both gauntlets when the other has had the tape/toothpaste removed.

Below are snaps of my gauntlets. I think the paint scheme has succeeded. I'd appreciate opinions on whether I should stop at this pont and roll back. These gauntlets were 3d printed, and I dont want to star wiring/weathering if I'm going to have to redo.

---

Right Gaunt, Comms.

---

Left Gaunt, Weapon Platform.

--
¡Edit, just had a minor fan moment as the Mandalorian Instagram Account liked one of my posts. Sweet!!!

---

Quick snaps all in so far. Baggy Mando is baggy, but other than the knees isnt loose. Collar is an issue ( I need a way to secure it so its comfortable). I'm thinking two elastic straps behind each knee should keep it together neatly. I also need to make extensions to the sleeves

An alternative is an in-universe clone style bodyglove.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2019, 02:45 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #42 on: Today at 12:09 AM »
Yes! This looks great! Also, the answer is no, definitely do not stop keep going with the pattern you're killing it! As for the antenna, I usually recommend erring on the side that gives you more space for what you need.

Side note, please PM me your Instagram account, I'd love to follow  :D

« Reply #43 on: Today at 05:04 AM »
PM inbound!

Thanks for the vote of confidence,
! I'm at a stall point when it comes to armour at the moment (rapidly rebuilding my 2012 Judge build for MCM London on Friday), as I need to decide how I'm doing the knees/shnees, wait on the backplate (and my latest crazy idea), and getting the chest armour cut from aluminium.

---

So on the side last night I threw together this from some bits and things I had around the place (a cr*p-tastic bb gun), a section of pipe, some couplers, and a healthy amount of glue...

...and came up with a heavy barrel modified A280. Cassian Andor had one (a CFE variant) which could be built up from a pistol into various configurations, and they featured as full rifles during the attack on Hoth. This is a pure hush-puppy blaster pistol.

Here's the base A280-CFE pistol :

I'll be working on this next week, adding a few small tweaks, but the original was pretty much an AR15 receiver and a few greeblies so...

« Last Edit: Today at 07:02 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #44 on: Today at 09:12 AM »
That is some killer paint. But I'm afraid that chest armor mock up looks rather small.

Killing threads since 2013

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!