Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Asenath Wren's 2nd kit WIP

• 22 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Asenath Wren's 2nd kit WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:18 AM »
I love the look of this!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Since you are looking to repaint, why not just strip the burgundy and green and stick with the metal/patina combo? those show loads of contrast and work really well with the blue flak and black flight suit pieces. I think this would help 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone' so to speak and would look amazing. Worst case scenario, increase the patina between the trauma plates, filigree etc, to really outline them, and you'd be good to go.

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the paint colors, everyone!  I decided to stick with the green stripe (though I did repaint it a brighter, more obnoxious chartreuse and I like it a little better now).  I've only got a little progress to show, since I'm plugging along so slowly on this one.

Here's my new bucket after hitting it with bondo and filler primer.  I needed to see what areas need more spot putty, and the answer is it needs more EVERYWHERE.  I haven't designed the earcaps yet, but I'll be playing around with that this week to see what works best with the overall design:

And here's the back - I want to commission Arkham to print me some custom keyslots because I hate the janky, crooked ones on the Jango 2 pieces:

And here is the armor fully painted and weathered (minus the bucket and diamond):

Now I need to mount the plates to the vest and leather gauntlets, acquire appropriate boots (and mount the shins and knees to them), finish my blaster and knives, make holsters and a weapons belt, and make a flight suit and neck seal.  It's getting close to wearable!

Tra'cor Clan - MMCC #2156

Approved 1st kit WIP

Second kit WIP

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2019, 12:03 AM »
Awesome work!

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I finally have what feels like substantial progress to show!

I "finished" construction on the bucket (minus the visor, I'm waiting on tint to arrive), but I'm still not happy with the color scheme.  It will stay like this for a while though, until I come up with something better.  The keyslots will be replaced with a 3d printed set at some point, but I'll probably just paint over the existing ones with silver color wax if I need to wear it before I get them.  The earcaps are varying thicknesses of sintra, and some random greeblies I had in my toolbox:

I made and weathered a flight suit on Saturday, and mounted all my plates yesterday and today.  I still need to finish the sash, and weather my boots, and I don't really like the burgundy gloves so I'll probably replace them at some point.  Here's everything all together so far (minus the bucket):

And here is the bucket next to the torso armor to see how it looks together (featuring my trademark "trying to look like a Normal Human" selfie face):

And finally, here is a shot of the gauntlet design.  I honestly am not sure I'll be able to get these approved, but it was worth a shot:

Still left to do:  assemble and paint blaster, make holster, acquire gun belt and pouch belt, paint knife and sheath and mount sheath to gun belt, acquire new gloves, finish sash, weather boots, make and install visor

Getting closer!

ETA:

Well I repainted my armor today.  Now instead of iron man, I look like a ski jacket from the 70s, and I'm not mad about it!

I still need to finish the paint on the gauntlets and helmet, and I totally forgot about the cod, but so far I think I like this a lot better.  Here's a shot from the front (minus gaunts and gloves):

And here's a shot from the back to show where my backplate will sit in relation to the sash (I'll probably have to rework the neck seal closure, it looks sloppy):

And here's a shot right after painting the chest plates to show the color better:

Tomorrow I'll be finishing painting the gauntlets, cod plate, and helmet, and hopefully I'll be getting the film in to make my visor.   I was thinking chameleon blue over silver mirror, but now that I'm adding blue into the armor I may have to order another color to go on top of the mirror.  I'll have to see how it looks when it arrives and then decide! 

After that, I'll just need to (finally) work on my new blaster and get the weapons belt sorted, weather the new teal paint, paint my knife and sheath, get some new gloves, finish the sash, and weather my boots.  Then I'll need to start thinking about trophies because I'll feel boring without any (don't worry, Az, I'm not coming for your Trophy King title!)

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2019, 11:33 PM by Asenath Wren » Logged

Approved 1st kit WIP

Second kit WIP

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Beautiful work! You've done a great job with this kit and the details are phenomenal! I recommend moving the shins down closer to your ankles so that they don't crowd your knees.

Glad to see progress rolling along!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2019, 01:12 AM »
Commenting for updates! I know you're about done, but killer job on this kit too!!

Helmet Scratch Build¦¦Beskar'gam¦¦Privateer Brigade WIP

MMCC #1484¦¦31 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.O.M.B. #16 ¦¦ M.T.S. #61 ¦¦ V.O.T.S. #34  ¦¦ B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦¦ M.A.R.S. #21

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2019, 11:22 PM »
Beautiful work! You've done a great job with this kit and the details are phenomenal! I recommend moving the shins down closer to your ankles so that they don't crowd your knees.

Glad to see progress rolling along!

Thank you!  I was wondering if it looked too crowded.  I did end up adding wraps around the foot and ankle, and I think it looks more balanced now, but I'll check with my ruus'alors and see what they think as well.  Thank you for the suggestion!

Commenting for updates! I know you're about done, but killer job on this kit too!!

Thanks Kurshi!  I was definitely inspired by your bucket build when I was designing the visor bridge on this one <3

So this kit is nearing completion, I'm now just waiting on new gloves and a belt pouch to arrive, and I have to finish painting my blaster and building my holster, and I'll be done(ish)!

Since these pictures, I've darkened the leather of the gauntlets so they're almost black now (similar to the color of the belt), and I like them better now.

Here is today's test fit from the front:

And from the back:

And finally, here are the new keyslots I commissioned from Arkham - I'm in love with them!

I just finished the paint job on the dagger and sheath (no pictures yet), and hopefully will have the blaster done by the weekend, so I'm hoping to do a test run in this kit at a con Saturday, if my ruus'alors approve!

Approved 1st kit WIP

Second kit WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!