Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

4 years later, Civvik tries again

• 4 Replies

civvik

4 years later, Civvik tries again
« on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:57 PM »
What's going on guys? I doubt any of y'all remember me, but I started attending AP's a few years ago. I had a kit that I had nearly completed, but then life hit me full force. My wife was pregnant, my career in the Army went into hyperdrive, and I just didn't have the ability to balance the Mercs alongside everything else.

Well, I am now out of the Army, my daughter is bigger, and I now have a job that allows me to almost afford things like awesome Mando costumes. I recently unearthed my old bucket...but I think it'll need replacing. It seems the Texas heat, combined with leaving it in the porch closet, has warped it to the point where it looks like I stopped a semi with my right cheek. Here is the poor fella:

Some of the soft parts have been ordered, or are being worked on. I've commissioned someone to make my vest in dark grey. The flighsuit I am torn on. I can't decide between grey coveralls, or tan ones. I've ordered two pouches for my belt, the Mosin Nagant pouches that are so popular,and they'll be here on Friday. Boots and gloves I've already got.

The paint scheme I'm going with, is the traditional Boba Fett/Mandalorian Protector look. Call me a traditionalist, but I just love Boba's original paint scheme. I'm going for a medium armor build, so it'll be just like the image below, but added thigh and shin plates. As I'll eventually seek acceptance into the Force Hunter brigade, I'm going to build a neckguard and attach some sintra to it to form the throat armor.

Color scheme:

Now for the fun stuff. I've recently picked up two shoulders of leather and some tools from Tandy's, in order to build my own Mando-lier, as well as create my own belt. I've watched some tutorials and practiced a bit, and while it is a little time consuming, it'll definitely be worth it. I'm also considering taking one of my old nylon belts from the Army days, and making a flare holder for my leg, not unlike what you see Rebel pilots rocking. Honestly, at this point the armor is the part I'm the least worried about, as that took the least amount of time my first time trying to build a kit. It was also the most fun. I'm going to try and knock out the bandolier this or next weekend, and will of course show it off once I'm done.

Test fit of the 5'7 plates. The bottom of the jawline on the face on the left is about where my naval is, if that's any reference.

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
Re: 4 years later, Civvik tries again
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the helmet! From what I can see your templates look pretty solid so far. I like the color scheme.

Look forward to following your work!  :boba: :boba: :boba:

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Hi Vod. Nightmare about your helmet, but welcome back..

Plate sizing looks good. Itís always a little difficult confirm when we canít see the naval line. From the picture it does look like the collar is as high as it will go without choking you :)

Looking forward to seeing whatís next.

MMCC #1437 | B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

civvik

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Thanks vode!

I've started working on my soft goods first. I have recently picked up these pouches:

I also have a grey Dickies coverall ordered, and on its way. Aria has been commissioned for my vest, and a good friend of mine who runs a side business of 3d prop printing is printing out some gauntlets. I still have yet to fix my bucket...mid May is my first Armor Party since getting back into this, so we'll see what happens.

Update:

As a foreword...I'm not an artist. I can barely get what is on my head onto paper. And that idea, is this belt system:

I have started dabbling in leatherworking, and have come up with the current belt schematic for my kit. I'm just waiting on my stuff to arrive in the mail to get started. Drawing from how gunslingers are portrayed with two belts, and how I really enjoy when Star Wars dabbles into western themes, I'm going to make a gunslinger style belt system. Two belts, the top belt being my "utility belt" with a set of Nosin pouches and a sintra vibroknife looped in. The second belt, which will be worn low, will have "blaster cartridges" made from these aluminum pill container keychains:

and two 3d printed thermal detonators. My blaster will be contained in a cheap leather holster from Cabelas, unless I end up just making a gun-clip style holster for myself.

Update:

I am happy to report a great success! I was home sick today, so I decided to take my chances at fixing my helmet without a heat gun, and cranked the oven to 250, stuck my helmet in for two minutes...and fixed it! One less thing to purchase, thankfully.

Update 2:
Gauntlets are currently being printed. Iíll get to pick them up at a local AP next weekend. Not only was my GLIE-44 ordered, but should be arriving in the next day or two.

Got my new visor in, so I cut it to fit the helmet, but discovered that I need to trim the inside of my helmet a bit to get it flush at the bottom. I think the new visor is a vast improvement over the old one, which I held next to the helmet in the second picture. I also got out some of my trusty silver paints, and everywhere that the paint had chipped/scratched away, I touched up with the silver, just adding more character.

The new visor

The new visor vs. the old one.

Iíll be picking up scrubs this weekend, and next weekend will have my armor cut.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:34 PM by civvik » Logged

civvik

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Several things are beginning to come together.

First, my gauntlets have been printed. I haven't gotten around to picking up sandpaper yet, but I'll be doing that this weekend.

Second, my blaster pistol came in:

Third, my chest plates were cut, and beveled. Backplate, cod, and thighs will be cut at the next armor party in June, so that I don't have to do it all with a dremel.

Finally, my vest is complete! At this point, the two biggest factors in why I stopped doing this last time are out of the way. Gauntlets, and my vest.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!