Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vulcan rotary blaster mod *WIP*

• 21 Replies
Vulcan rotary blaster mod *WIP*
« on: May 05, 2019, 10:11 AM »
This is a first really, really rough idea of my concept for modifying a Nerf Vulcan into a rotary cannon. I will be doing better pics later but wanted to throw out the initial idea for review while it was in my head.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:49 PM by Momdalore » Logged

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Vulcan rotary blaster mod
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Be careful, because nerf props are a pain to mod. It takes looooooooot of work to remove their nerfness.

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Kurz,

Thanks for the heads up on the work involved. I saw that there are a bunch of things people have said about "Nerfness". I chose this path because of the whole money v. time argument and having more time than money and alot of the parts on hand.😊

Be careful, because nerf props are a pain to mod. It takes looooooooot of work to remove their nerfness.
[quote author=Kurz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:55 PM »

So as I've been researching nerf mods I find myself with a question. How do people put Nerf guns back together so they can be reopened to do maintenance on internals since all original holes have to be closed?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Well, the internals related to firing darts... should all be gone, as it has to be completely deactivated.

If you're referring to lights and sound, fill the holes withhot glue and paint over them, and you can remove the hotglue with heat and patience.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:36 PM »
there's a new nerf blaster coming out called the cs-50, and after seeing this it might be a bit easier for your need

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Well, the internals related to firing darts... should all be gone, as it has to be completely deactivated.

If you're referring to lights and sound, fill the holes withhot glue and paint over them, and you can remove the hotglue with heat and patience.

Yeah  internals would be for light, sound, and rotation.

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 01:38 AM »
You can remove some screws and fill those holes. Leave some and cover them with removable stuff or greeblies (like leather wrapping on the handle)

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Here's some images of the gun and joystick I plan to use.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:01 AM by Momdalore » Logged

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 03:12 PM »
If you can make it to the armour party tomorrow we can sure steer you in the right direction.  The Clan Rotary cannon isn't based off a gun, but more of a drill with a joystick.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Dismantled nerf gun and joystick on my rotary cannon WIP.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:35 PM by Momdalore » Logged
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 03:29 PM »
So obviously tons left to do but wanted to show mods to body of gun so far. Give an idea of the new profile .

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:33 PM by Momdalore » Logged
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 09:01 PM »
So after a very long hiatus I've moved forward, have my general gun shape, barrels are almost ready. Still have a ton of fit and finish.

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 05:45 PM »
You definitely have a good base there, and a lot of potential. I already like that you're thinking outside the box!

The only thing to keep in mind is that you're going to be doing a lot of bondo/sanding and if anything looks like it's still a Nerf gun the App team is probably going to call it out; it is what it is, that's the price of Nerf becoming more mainstream every single day. It's hard to say what will and won't need to be sanded down (I've never worked with nerf guns as bases before) so hopefully someone who has will see this thread and impartr their wisdom!  :laugh:

The important thing to keep in mind though is

A- don't rush it, and
B- don't get discouraged.

Not everyone can go from concept to finished kit in six months, and there's always going to be something you'll have to go back and fix. Try to remember that the journey to OM and actually learning how to costume are the real fun bits, and OM is just the well-earned reward  :laugh: I've been at it for YEARS and I'm still not close to having it finished.

Keep moving forward though! I love watching heavy weapon builds come to life!

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Shurik, Thanks for the support and encouragement vode. I am trying to use a layoff from COVID to good use...

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Got enough able to dry fit quickly so I could get a sense of scale and size. Body is about 16" barrels about 21".

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Chucktest;

Ive been using these as references since I started my build.

Thanks for the advice and pointing them out.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 10:49 PM »
Continuing forward motion, and you can start to get a sense of what the body will look like.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:52 PM by Momdalore » Logged
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 06:31 PM »
I'm almost done with the body general build and I've got the barrels almost ready. I'm just worried the size ratio is off.

Re: Vulcan rotary blaster mod *WIP*
« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Update on the build, added a shroud at barrel base.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Re: Vulcan rotary blaster mod *WIP*
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2020, 07:51 PM »
That shroud looks great. Solidifies the look-and-feel a lot.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!