Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor WIP

• 6 Replies
First Armor WIP
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Hello all,

I have finally moved out of the concept phase with and got good progress on cutting templates, cutting the PVC board out, and sanding the edges. I am going to start heat forming the armor panels today after I make this post. I also don't have the Knees yet because I am not sure if  I am going to use the Jango templates like I have for the rest of the kit or the Boba knees because they seem to me a new creator a little more easier to create.

As far as painting goes I don't have a solid plan as to how I am going to paint the armor or even patterns for the paint but I do know that I am going to use a charcoal silver or gunmetal color for most of the panels and I am going to use a dark green for the accents of the armor.

Re: First Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Here is some of my heatforming work over the past two days. I am about to head to the store to grab some pvc cement to be able to glue the shin pieces and the cod pieces. I also plan on cutting out the pieces for the Kneecap today.

I believe that the collar piece feels comfortable and am hoping it fits even more snug on the vest when I get that part situtated out.

For the chest pieces I just need a little more tweeking on some of the edges on the chest plates just to make everything look even on both sides.

I think that I have gotten the Ab plate curved quite perfectly to fit my body.

The shoulders fit well but arent exactly uniform so a little more curving for them to look even.

For the thighs I heated small portions of it and used an old paint can to roll the curves in them. I also realized that they were a bit too big taking into account that they are the 5'6" templates, so what I did is printed of the 5'3" templates and attached them to the oversized pieces and trimmed down to an appropriate size and re-sanded the edges to make smooth.

and lastly my boot plates. The left looks really good and the right needs a better curve easily fixed I believe.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:44 AM »
So besides the Knees of the kit which need a little epoxy and smoothing out to be uniform I think that I am ready for painting.

Here are the finish shins and cod pieces, and a test piece for my weathering effects.

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Looking good! We will want to see how the plates fit on your body before you get too far on painting. Have a friend help ya. You don't want to end up having to trim or reshape later after you've worked so hard on painting. Great progress though vod!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Here are the final pieces. I have a feeling that my Thigh pieces might still be too big or placed wrong.

Ascalon

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Nice start on the kit. I think you are correct on the thigh plates needing a trim. You don’t want them so close that they will touch or hit your cod. When all else fails refer to photos. Here is a shot of Jango for reference on placement and size for the thigh plates.

On Jango they do not come that close to the cod plate.  You’ll want to try and emulate this look but sized for you.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Tra’cor Clan MMCC1981

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51 PM »
I agree with Ascalon. Also, for the the chest plates a good rule of thumb is when you have them on you, try holding both arms straight out. If the chest plates start overlapping or if they hit so hard you can't stick your arms straight out like super man, then the chest plates, and by extension collar plate, will need some trimming.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!