Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ru'nan Vel first OM Kit WIP

• 15 Replies

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
Ru'nan Vel first OM Kit WIP
« on: May 08, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Starting my WIP thread for my first kit intended for OM. I've made 2 unofficial kits before now and am excited to get this one going!

My concept is heavily inspired by my Cherokee heritage, from the colors to the chest graphics, to the marks on my helmet, making it something very dear to me and something I cannot WAIT to bring to life.

Ru'nan Vel is a Kiffar merc. She'll be outfitted for gunslinger (shown) and sniper load outs. I'm planning a modular kit with add-ons for winter, but will be starting with the summer version.

**NOTE** I know my abb plates are drawn too small. That will be corrected when I make my actual plates and templates.

We (the Cherokee) historically had sternum tattoos - the inspiration for my feather-like chest and back graphics. We also would carve marks into warriors' faces with flint and rub pigment in them to record successes in battle and other important life events. That put me in mind of kill stripes and seemed so perfect for a Mando, so I incorporated similar marks etched into my helmet.

I'll have at least 3 leather pouches on my belt for speaker, wallet, phone + necessities, and repair kit, plus a small satchel for gunslinger cleaning/care kit. The grenade on my belt will be a shock grenade from Battlefront (below) rather than the one pictured in my drawing.

I'll be carrying a Westar-55, DE-10, and DT-12 as my pistols - Westar and DE will be in the thigh holsters with the DT on my lower back next to a 10" combat knife. I'm thinking of putting the EE-3 in a back holster that attaches at the shoulder and side of my flak vest/armor plates so I don't have to cover my pretty chest with a strap.

The entire kit will be scratch built by me with the exception of my boots and the guns, which I've commissioned from friends as they don't particularly interest me. I will be building my own Aurra Sing adventurer Slugthrower rifle eventually though.

I recently received swatches for my soft parts fabric!

The front two will be the two tones in my flight suit - a nice stretch cotton twill. The dark brown will be my flak vest and winter chaps - nice brushed cotton twill with flannel (it's super dense, almost feels like neoprene), and the felted wool will be my poncho base.

The sheepskin at the back will be my lower leg half-chaps.

The loin/layers between the flak vest and flight suit will be a dyed heavy linen

All the fabrics for the soft parts are natural to help with heat, and the "flight suit" on my torso for summer will really just be a crop top with 3/4 sleeves to minimize layers and reduce heat. I'll also likely add in some sneaky air vents in key places to help the whole thing breathe even more.

The helmet will be slush-cast in resin and the armor plates will be vacuum formed styrene except for the knee plates, which will likely be hand-shaped ABS, and will all be attached with heavy duty velcro with a couple snaps for alignment.

I've started patterning soft parts but am waiting for some feedback from the app team regarding part of it. Looking forward to sharing more progress here!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:06 PM by RedBirdXlll » Logged

Obey Wann

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
Re: Ru'nan Vel first OM Kit WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Following. I think this will be fantastic!

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Following. I think this will be fantastic!

Thanks!

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Oh you KNOW I'll be watching this build...can't wait to see it come to life!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Following! I'm just here for the poncho  :cookie:

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:40 AM »
I look forward to seeing this come to life.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Following.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Updates!

Thanks to some super quick and excellent work by friend (John Precal on the Forum) I now have a 3D model ready to print for my grenade!

This will be cleaned up and molded/cast in resin and then painted and hung on my belt.

I've also started patterning the soft parts that sit under my vest and above my flight suit. I'm patterning as one piece for now so I can get the fit and figure out where my belt will sit. I'm waiting for some clarifications from the app team about extra torso layers (see Concept thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=168535.0) before making it in two pieces.

I use a duct tape dummy of myself for a mannequin so I can wrap it in plastic wrap and more tape and draw patterns directly onto it. When I cut the shapes off, I have ready-made, custom fit patterns.

Hoping to get some mock-ups done this weekend for fitting, also working on some custom pouch designs and figuring out the layout of my belt.

Newbsters

• They call me... Minibar
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 03:08 PM »
I’ve seen you posting on the Mando costuming page and I’m definitely following your progress. Your stuff looks great.

OM#: 2235
Clan: Ge’tal Vheh
Position: Retired
Invasions: 29
"I’m just here for the violence”

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 03:40 PM »
I’ve seen you posting on the Mando costuming page and I’m definitely following your progress. Your stuff looks great.

Thank you so much!

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Commenting so I don't loose this...  :laugh:

Looks really cool, I can't wait to see this become reality. Particularly if you go with that open front poncho thing.

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Commenting so I don't loose this...  :laugh:

Looks really cool, I can't wait to see this become reality. Particularly if you go with that open front poncho thing.

Poncho or bust!! It's actually going to be a regular poncho with snaps and straps on the inside so I can bunch it up and hold it in place when I don't want it to be down covering everything!

Lezodas

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 10:53 AM »
commenting to chase your wips all around the boards.

It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear.

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I made a little bit of progress on my soft parts this weekend! I thought I'd share how I go about making patterns and drawing out mock-up pieces.

I already showed you my drawn out patterns on my mannequin, so here's the process of cutting the pieces off and tracing them out to get the fabric pieces:

1. Cut 'em out!

2. From 3D to flattened pieces following my planned seams

3. Time to trace onto the fabric! I use whatever's laying around for weights - in this case it was an empty cider bottle, 2 glasses, my water bottle, and sewing scissors

This is how I make sure my mock-up seam allowances are identical every time without fail. It's an old cosplay trick taught to me by a friend of mine!

4. Cut out your patterns and sew! I didn't even need to use pins to quickly sew this together because the seam allowances are all consistent so I can just line them up by eye.

The first draft is a little tight and needs some adjustments so I'm working on that now.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!