Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about armor material

• 2 Replies
Question about armor material
« on: May 15, 2019, 06:10 PM »
I can't seem to track down a good local source for Sintra so as an alternative I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried using a Sterilite bin as a starting point for armor pieces? The material that the bins are made from is very easy to cut with just a basic set of tin snips but I'm a little worried about it holding, or more importantly not holding, its shape when trying to heat form it. If anyone has any experience with these, good or bad, I'd love to know.
Thanks in advance

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Question about armor material
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 06:57 PM »
It's not a great idea. You'll be reshaping it every true. And it doesn't take paint very well either. It's also less than 1/3 of the thickness of the center of the most people start out with which is 3 mm so it's going to look pretty flimsy as well.

You can do it but it's going to be end up being more work. You can order Sentra from Amazon or you could use something like ABS or polystyrene but those are more difficult to keep shape and they get rid of her repeated heating's.

It goes under a few other brand names really it's expanded PVC so you might find it under a name like foamex or something else like that depending on your location. it really is a great material to work with it's worth taking the time to look around to find it. They're great reasons that it's the preferred material in the mercs.

If you really want to go for it you can you can get something like aluminum or sheet steel I'll let shot bag and a hammer and shave your plates that way but that's kind of a whole different rabbit hole.

the last route you could go if you want to make it freely available anywhere is you could make it out of like cardstock or cardboard and kind of wet shape the cardboard. And then fiberglass it. So at that point you have fiberglass armor. but you need to make sure that the shaping is 100% correct before you put the fiberglass on because fiberglass does not reshape well at all. and we require kids to lay perfectly flat against the body when you have which is also the problem with the tokens you mentioned.

What other place you might look for Sentra is at local sign shops.

Re: Question about armor material
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Sep
Thanks for the advice. I actually just got a PM from a forum member pointing me towards a sign shop that's within spitting distance of me. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see what options they can offer.
Thanks again

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!