Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Amaran mando build

• 31 Replies

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Amaran mando build
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Those greaves turned out AWESOME  :like:

This is really coming together!!!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Taruk

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Those greaves turned out AWESOME  :like:

This is really coming together!!!

Danke!
I tackled back shaping and repositioning of the chest plates tonight, as well as blending rivets as suggested by my ruso.

I've started digging into the final piece as well, the sniper rifle. There's a bit of work to be done to it since its base is a Nerf rifle. I've gutted it so it's not functional, but left the trigger and it's spring there so the trigger actuates. I've been shooting long distance with my dad since I was young so it felt appropriate that my main blaster was a long range rifle.

I've had a few folks suggest I go for a couple brigades such as the Force Hunter or sniper. I wasn't finding much on the requirements for those but I'll worry about that after the app. At the moment I'm just excited to finally be getting so close. The greaves hide the zipper on the boot as well as solve the problem of the overlapping of the knee plate on the though plate. The bare metal on my limbs is growing on me. I had plans to paint them in a way but now I almost want to leave them as they are. It gives me more of the scavenger/rogue/back woods sort of feel I was wanting.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Looking good with the spacing! It's close, but consistent and that's all we ask for  :D

The brigade requirements aren't visible to UM's, but that section will be unlocked for you when you are approved  :like:

The barrel is looking good on the rifle! The body however will need quite a bit more work to be unrecognizable. We suggest getting rid of the triangle silhouettes nerf tends to use, especially in the stock.

Great work so far and I look forward to seeing more!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Taruk

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Looking good with the spacing! It's close, but consistent and that's all we ask for  :D

The brigade requirements aren't visible to UM's, but that section will be unlocked for you when you are approved  :like:

The barrel is looking good on the rifle! The body however will need quite a bit more work to be unrecognizable. We suggest getting rid of the triangle silhouettes nerf tends to use, especially in the stock.

Great work so far and I look forward to seeing more!

Well there's a familiar face, I didn't realize you were on the app team!

I went to town sanding and wet sanding everything smooth, including those triangles you mentioned. I have a scope coming on order so I'm using one of my regular scopes as a temporary place holder.

Also threw some glow to the main body of the rifle.

I need to fill in the wording on the scope mount. Nerf was never too kind when it came to picatinny mounts. If there's any other ideas for modding give me a shout. I'm looking to fill the screw holes tomorrow and prime if I can.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 10:10 AM »
to make this gun less recognizable as nerf, I would suggest filling the jam door, removing the holes you lit up and drilling your own set elsewhere.

Cut out the trigger more to look like a hair trigger (its not being used so doesn't need to be that bulky), fill in the tactical rails and cut them into something more matching what is seen on the rogue one rifles. Add your own sling points and delete the ones on the blaster, fill and smooth.

Modify the stock to be less structured - add some wood accents or fills to change its shape. Better yet, build your own stock for it.

Unfortunately, this is one of the most recognizable nerf blasters out there and can be spotted from a mile away, It takes a ton of work to transform it into something different.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 03:51 PM »

I would recommend a bit of trimming for the edges bordering the chest diamond. Solid kit, coming along well!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Taruk

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 01:28 PM »
I would recommend a bit of trimming for the edges bordering the chest diamond. Solid kit, coming along well!

I can see if I can trim any more off, that steel was frustrating to trim and sand .

In the meantime I've been tackling the long range blaster. It's been mod, fill, sand, repeat for me. I'm waiting for my apoxy sculpt to cure before I clean some more edges up and put an actual pic rail for the bipod. The scope mount is off for right now (hence the holes on the side.

I also have a blaster on order so this will give me one pistol, a rifle, and a knife to cover all bases.

Blaster photo is from the seller.

It's been a very long journey with this since last January or so, it feels good to be so close.

Edit:
June 1, 2019

Made some big progress on the rifle today. There's still work to be done to it but it's getting closer.

Here we are ready for another coat of paint all sanded up:

I've started adding in some layered colors to bring out some shapes and weather others. I added a blue purple hue to the end of the barrel for a sort of high temp exposure effect

Bipod and rail are attached. The scope currently is a place holder but I may roll with it (with a different paint job) if making scopes doesn't pan out.

I need to reenforce the top area to support the scope, finish the paint/weathering, maybe stain the stock a little darker (though the light stock has grown on me a bit)

Edit: June 27, 2019

A little weathering on the flight suit. It's finally not raining here in Michigan so we ran out and grabbed photos between storms. O wish my camera picked up the dirt and grime colors on the black a little better.

Here's some turn around shots in sunlight and more muted background.

First shot is without any extras

Next shot is with the extras, sans helmet

Helmet time

Lastly in the rare thing called sunlight so you can see the weathering on the flight suit.

Lastly, the blaster.  S5 heavy security blaster. I will finish the sniper rifle another time.

Another set of shots, a little brighter lighting this time to show the rivets and overall detail.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2019, 12:45 AM by Taruk » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!