Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Build Log

• 5 Replies

Cypher117

Helmet Build Log
« on: May 26, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Hey there, this will be my helmet build log. I'm from Washington and will be going for approval as a modern kit once I'm done. I'll also try to update this somewhat frequently... Hope you enjoy!
1. So here I'm just showing off the unaltered cast. I got this from ZeroCoolPropShop on Etsy, which isn't the most reputable seller I found out after I purchased the helmet. I don't see anything wrong with it so far tho so I think I'm good!

2. I've filled in the nasty little imperfections and did an overall sand with 320 grit paper.

3. I have given the helmet a rustoleum paint/primer in metallic aluminium.

4. Humbrol Maskol Applied

5. Shot the helmet with a rustoleum granite paint/primer, and then did the very fun peeling process. If you're not familiar with liquid latex, (maskol), you apply it wet and it dries into a hardened latex that's easy to peel!

Well that's all for now, if you have any questions, comments, critiques, etc. feel free to reply. I'll report back soon.

EDIT:

So here's an update.

Here's the main colors painted on (minus gold) (plus beautiful succulent garden!)

I've got everything painted up. Once I get some better lighting I'll show the final painted version of the helmet, with more weathering.

EDIT 3:

The helmet's paintjob is "finished" (nothing ever really is.) I'm really happy with this for my first helmet. I did some extra weathering to match the paint chipping. I finished the rangefinder, and overall the thing looks beat to hell and I love it.

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2019, 02:57 PM by Cypher117 » Logged

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Helmet Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Outstanding work on that helmet. How's the rangefinder stalk coming along?

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Beautiful paint job!

Heads up about those zerocool buckets though, they LOVE to warp. I’d put a spacer in to keep your t from getting any thinner before you install the visor and possibly reinforcing the inside with fiberglass

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Cypher117

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Outstanding work on that helmet. How's the rangefinder stalk coming along?

Thank you very much. I just made an edit to my post showing the finished helmet.

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I cannot get over how lovely the weathering and paint job on this bucket are. Seriously, I saw your armor sizing thread and literally came back to ogle the helmet some more  :laugh:

I especially love the colors of paint you used - the gold on there is so pretty, not too shiny but not dull, either. Would you mind to tell me what brand and shade it is?

Cypher117

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2019, 10:59 AM »
I cannot get over how lovely the weathering and paint job on this bucket are. Seriously, I saw your armor sizing thread and literally came back to ogle the helmet some more  :laugh:

I especially love the colors of paint you used - the gold on there is so pretty, not too shiny but not dull, either. Would you mind to tell me what brand and shade it is?

Thank you so much for the compliments! The gold is from Krylon in their "short cuts" line. They come in a little can and are meant for models and craft stuff. The color I used is gold leaf, and it does come out more shiny than the pics. To dull it some more I used testors dullcote as a seal which dulled it perfectly. I would highly recommend.  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!