Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Basic Boba vambrace ( no shaping required )

• 9 Replies

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Basic Boba vambrace ( no shaping required )
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I hope someone finds this helpful  :D

1st note, these are pull on, not hinged.
i modified the WOF templates a bit to make the inner shell and outer shell each 1 pattern

lower1 lower2 upper1 upper2
then taped them together

the cutouts on the inner shell don't make it easier to glue together, its to keep the stress down. i noticed that with one solid inner shell i had a noticeable line on the outer shell. make sure that inner shell covers the cutouts from the outer.

use posterboard and paperclips for your proof of concept. it may appear larger that you want, but these are to be pulled on.
put your gloves and flight suit on when checking the size.

I am using a home depot bucket for the natural curve.

removing the handle at this point might make going forward easier.

optionalish. i sanded the bucket before placing the pattern. i found it easier than sanding individual parts

i used a scrap page of cardstock to square up a straight line down to keep the part from warping.

trace and cut out the modified pattern onto the bucket.

check your work. i had to retrace the cut-outs, because i wasn't paying attention.

dont cut the parts directly from the bucket. cutout a larger area and trim them flat. use a straight edge when ever possible.

sand the decal off of the parts (if you didn't do the optionalish step) .
glueing the parts together without sanding will cause the glue to bond to the decal and your project will fall apart.
a good wet dry sandpaper like (https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-Grade-Precision-3-2-3-in-x-9-in-150-Grit-Medium-Advanced-Sanding-Sheets-6-Pack-127150PGP-6/205415882) makes the process easier as the decal will gunk up the sandpaper rather quickly. this stuff is great i have washed and re-washed this paper and have used the same piece for a year or more.
be careful using a lower grit paper as you can easily score the plastic and it may break.

use duct tape to hold the outer shell closed.

insert the inner shell make sure everything fits correctly. trace where the inner shell lays. remove the inner shell and apply the glue. i used e-6000.
i gives me much more time to get everything into place before clamping.

if you just clamp the ends the middle of the seam can pillow

this is not ideal. for each seam
you will need: 2 strips of wood 1" - 1.5" wide and at least as long as the seam to be clamped.
                          2 spring clips or clamps, 1 for each side

1 strip of wood goes inside the vambrace roughly centered along the seam, the other goes on the outside. then clamp in place.

do the same for the seam on the other side.

leave until the glue is cured.

Note: you can "treat" the parts by clamping this way before you glue them together.
leave it clamped for 15-30 min  or so, then remove the clamps
remove the inner shell
apply the glue
reclamp.
the parts want to lay flatter than what they are being clamped into. this will give you about 10 min or where the inner shell has a tighter curve then it would otherwise.

apply the glue and clamp.

can you really have too many spring clamps?
no. you can't.
let it cure. NOTE: It took 4 days for the E-6000 to cure. it was cold and rainy all week.

trim excess

Sand down any pillowed areas

bondo as needed. i recommend using a blade to remove excess bondo before it completely cures. it saves a TON of time sanding. super glue and baking soda work well for sealing the ends

basic vambrace is done.
add details, comms, and or weapons platform.
prime and paint

yes, that gauntlet shoots bubbles  :o
https://i.imgur.com/Wrlclir.mp4

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Basic Boba vambrace ( no shaping required )
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Somebody sticky this!

Might have to try this, just picked up a couple sheets of Sintra.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:08 PM »
I'm glad you like it. Tho I dont know if this will work with sintra.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Worth trying.  If not, still a learning experience. :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:11 AM »
Having built with both buckets and sintra, most of this process will work very well with sintra, you just have to heat it up and form it.  You can do that with boiling water and shape it over a large drinking cup or other slightly tapered cylindrical object about the size of a forearm. :)

Personally, I recommend the sintra, as the plastic these buckets are made of is formulated to resist things sticking to it, including paint.  It's a dang good tutorial/WIP though.  It definitely shows a good way to go about building gauntlets.

PorkRoll

• try to avoid a mandon't
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:17 AM »
Just read this as I'm starting to build my first kit and I'm dreading the gauntlets.  If they're not hinged or separated how do they go on?  If they just slide on, won't they be a little "loose" and prone to moving about?

Straka Zulu

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:14 AM »
They just slip on. You can prevent sliding with a little foam padding.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:45 PM »
I'm glad you like it. Tho I dont know if this will work with sintra.
Requires Patience and going slowly but if you don’t mind I’d like to use your write up for a tutorial.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:10 PM »
as i recall, i only got 1 per bucket

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!