Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to create a worn look on my Armor.

• 6 Replies
How to create a worn look on my Armor.
« on: Jun 05, 2019, 08:33 AM »
I am starting to build my Mandalorian Armor, and want to create an old, worn look.  Does anyone have and tips or tricks for how to get my armor into a worn state?

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
Re: How to create a worn look on my Armor.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Layering your paint helps. Look at how painted items naturally wear. Usually they wear where they are handled the most. Using making fluid helps create a different transition between each layer of paint. Washes also help give it that grimy look

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2019, 12:40 AM »
Before you lay down any weathering. Think about how your armor is worn. Does it rub against a belt? Does your weapon rattle against a specific plate? Also, thinking about the "adventures" your Mando has been through can help you think up battle damage. Did you take a blaster bolt to the chest or helmet? Maybe a predator scratched your leg. (A lot of Mandos seem to run into a three clawed beast. To this day, no one knows the creature's identity.) If you're really comfortable working with sintra, you can even add physical damage to your plates. Maybe your belly plate has a stab wound or you took shrapnel to the shoulder. Be careful not to go overboard, especially if you're working with 3mm sintra. Too much damage and they might actually break. The physical stuff will allow paint to pool naturally, making weathering even easier.

Most people won't hear whatever story you've developed for your character so your weathering can tell that story for you.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:12 AM »
Adding to this, if you do physical weathering on Sintra it's very easy to also say that your are durasteel or other materials. Canonically they would tend to a bit more physical damage vs true mandalorian iron.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2019, 08:03 PM »
There are also some really good tutorials you should check out in the Royal War College of Mandalore's Jadd Halls of Knowledge.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2019, 09:19 PM »
There are also some really good tutorials you should check out in the Royal War College of Mandalore's Jadd Halls of Knowledge.
Was just about to post that.  Thanks, Havelock.  :like: :D :like:

Also, look on Google for images of antique farm or industrial equipment.  You can find a lot of interesting wear patterns.  Just be sure Safe Search is ON!  *shudders*

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Before you lay down any weathering. Think about how your armor is worn. Does it rub against a belt? Does your weapon rattle against a specific plate? Also, thinking about the "adventures" your Mando has been through can help you think up battle damage. Did you take a blaster bolt to the chest or helmet? Maybe a predator scratched your leg. (A lot of Mandos seem to run into a three clawed beast. To this day, no one knows the creature's identity.) If you're really comfortable working with sintra, you can even add physical damage to your plates. Maybe your belly plate has a stab wound or you took shrapnel to the shoulder. Be careful not to go overboard, especially if you're working with 3mm sintra. Too much damage and they might actually break. The physical stuff will allow paint to pool naturally, making weathering even easier.

Most people won't hear whatever story you've developed for your character so your weathering can tell that story for you.

Some great points above.

In the past, I've made my weathering very physical, as in actually pitting/scratching/scraping armour or helmets before painting. Learned a few tips and tricks with some cheap files and rasps as well as with my Dremel tool.

Weathering can be done as cheaply as getting a bucket, filling it with dirt and small stones, chucking some pieces inside (that aren't resin or too fragile), and rolling it down a hill or wherever. If you're using leather or vinyl, make your pieces and then scrunch them up and sit on them for a day. All of the above for your jumpsuit and other soft parts. Get your boots first and wear them around to break them in. Go kick some stones or shovel some dirt while wearing them. Then go back and touch up all the damaged spots with a lighter shade of dye or paint to help accentuate the marks. There's not really a wrong way to do it, so long as it gets you the result you want. Sandpaper works well on soft and hard bits - great on armour if you've been dragged around. You can mist your stuff with spraypaint to give it a grimy appearance. Layers, layers, layers!

Definitely heed the above advise and think about your story. It'll help you figure out how much or how little to weather your stuff.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!