Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Armour WIP

• 13 Replies
New Armour WIP
« on: Jun 12, 2019, 01:45 AM »
Well, a few years ago, I tried working on an armour kit, and after awhile it became clear that while I was mostly done and put a lot of work into it... it probably wouldn't ever be approvable. I gave up on that and started a second (and much easier to put together) kit that has been coming along.

It's been months since I worked on it because I am a very slow worker, but I'm starting to make a round of corrections for things!

Here's a few varying pictures from when I was working on it previously and some shots I took... ... about this time last year, whoops  :o

Right now I'm working on correcting the placement of the shoulders as one looks farther off than the other. I also added some weathering to the front fur since these photos. The chestplates were also held on with magnets but not sturdy enough so I need to either switch to snaps or redo the placement to make sure they stay put a little better.

Any further suggestions? I'm trying to avoid the problems I had last time (submitting for preapproval, get told what to fix, resubmit after fixing and get a whole new list).

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: New Armour WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Hi vod
I like you kit. I can See you effort
The flight suit maybe you add more weathering is too white the same the cape is to clean.
You glove is too clean
the belt buckle I think you should modify it since it looks very earthy.  maybe you can do that by putting something leather or cloth.  the idea is to modify it
remember the space between plates should be equal.
According to how I see it, you are very good at advancing your kit
Keep going  :like:

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Seriously gorgeous kit, vod. I love the shape of your upper body plates, and all that fur is so pretty  :<3:

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2019, 09:20 PM »
It's looking awesome and you're super close!!! One of my favorite color schemes and really cool plate design!!!!!

Some quick tips:

- Osukaru gives good advice! Your soft parts with need a little more dirt to match your plates  :D
- You shnee combo is really short. You'll probably have to elongate the shin protion for better coverage. Otherwise they look a bit like just shins coming too high up.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2019, 08:11 PM »
It's looking awesome and you're super close!!! One of my favorite color schemes and really cool plate design!!!!!

Some quick tips:

- Osukaru gives good advice! Your soft parts with need a little more dirt to match your plates  :D
- You shnee combo is really short. You'll probably have to elongate the shin protion for better coverage. Otherwise they look a bit like just shins coming too high up.

Hmm... well, I took a look thismorning/tried some stuff out, and if I move the shins any lower, they run into the tops of the boots underneath my pant legs. Trying to move them lower makes them look kinda funky/is uncomfortable and slides around.

I was trying to go for what seems to be a 'standard' look with the boots. Is some kind of ankle armour helpful? I'm not quite sure how to move them lower without it getting uncomfortable or weirdly layered.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2019, 09:13 PM »
My shins also overlap my boots so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Ideally you'll want the very bottom on the shin plate do be right above the foot  :D

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2019, 09:21 PM »
My shins also overlap my boots so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Ideally you'll want the very bottom on the shin plate do be right above the foot  :D

I see.... so something more like this?

I'm thinking I either need to detach the knees and have them be separate... or redo the whole shnee (my less favourite option) to be sized right. Unless it looks okay?

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2019, 09:26 PM »
Yep!!

And yes you'll either have to detach the knees or build larger shnees to sit in the correct position while still covering the knees.

Keep up the great work!  :like:

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Another option you have is to move the plate further up so the knee is sited over the knee, you could add additional plate below this, extending down to the boot.

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Not to resurrect a dead topic... I promise I've been working on this!

With glacial progress. Perhaps I can blame living in Alaska.

In any case I don't have a girth belt or regular belt I'm satisfied with yet, but I got a new flak vest and was able to give things a test run. I wound up attaching the plates with velcro; they have magnets attached as well but I'm tentative to mark up the vest until I'm more sure about plate placement.

I might want to redo the collar plate and add some boot armour. And of course the waist items aren't set -- those are some placeholders I hot-glued together the night before. X)

But it seems wearable so far!

EDIT: while I'm thinking about it, here's what I wound up doing with the schnees -- I detached the top parts, then moved them to the top of a fur leg wrap and attached everything with screws (the cording around the back is just because I like the look).

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:55 PM by ElectronicFerret » Logged

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:58 PM »
This thread could be dead, but i just wanted to say that i'm really, really liking this kit so far.  :like:

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:03 PM »
Glad to see you back at it!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2022, 11:12 PM »
Haha, only a little dead! Thanks for the compliments though y'all.

Currently I am stuck on the midsection. I got a new flak vest and the fit ends a little higher than I intended. I need to do something about the girth belt and the actual belt.

Standing issues:

* How the girth belt fits together with the flak vest. Current girth belt makes a weird gap sometimes.
* Belt either has to be super strong to hold up the fur buttcape or I need a new solution for said buttcape. Tends to drag down otherwise and I have to adjust it constantly.
* No idea how to make a belt or work leather! I bought some stuff and then proceeded to do nothing with it for like, a year.

Here's a pic from when I put some things together just for a local non-MMCC event just to get it out for a day. This isn't the belt I plan on using, it was just thrown together as a placeholder so I could actually wear it.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:28 PM »
So for the girth belt/flack vest issue, you either need to tuck the vest into the girth belt, or have a significant gap between both. Some ideas I have are that you could try to wear the girth belt a bit lower on your hips to see if you have a better gap that way? Or maybe shorten the vest even more and make the gap look intentional like boba's?
For the fur issue, I would suggest attaching it to your girth belt instead of your normal belt.
I'm not a leatherworker so I really can't help with leather questions, but there are some fantastic people on the forums that can help!
Keep up the great work vod! You look awesome  :like:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!