Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Falke's Live action Bo Katan

• 34 Replies

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: Falke's Live action Bo Katan
« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2021, 12:16 PM »
top notch work!

This is looking fantastic  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2021, 02:24 PM »
Impressiv work!  :D

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:56 AM »
It's embarrissing how long I haven't posted anything in this thread  ??? But I haven't stopped building this costume, so I have a lot of progress to report. Be prepared for a picture spam  ;D

Let's start with the armor plates. As it's currently to cold to paint, I try to sand all my plates, so that I can immediatly start painting as soon as it is warm enough. I've made good progress with this task. The only pieces that aren't ready to paint yet are: the rangefinder, the Westars and the Jetpack. In November a clan mate painted my chest plate, thighs and pelvic armor in hiw cellar with an airbrush (the diamond still needs it shiny finish):

It might be a little bit to dark, so I will apply some light weathering to get the patchy look we see in the series.

That's all I have to say about the hard parts. But I've worked a lot on my soft parts. On piece I made were the gaiters. I've started by making a template. For this I've put some tape on my boots to see were each of the four pieces needs to start and end. With this method I could create a template for the food area of the gaiter very easily.

Getting the upper part of the gaiter perfect was very chaotic and included a lot of trail and error, so sadly I don't have many pictures of the progress. I used some left over pleather pieces for my templates, because it has the same properties as the pleather I used for the final piece.

Here you can see a test fit of my unfinished gaiter:

And here are the finished gaiters. I will try to take a picture of me wearing the gaiters soon.

One of my christmas presents was the belt buckle set frrom JJ industries. This set is great and it's a pleasure to work with it.

With the set in my hands I started to work on my belts. At first I was overwhelmed by all the different layers. As I didn't know where to start. Bo Katan has four different belts. I can highly recommend this guide made by JJ industries with the dimensions of the different belts.

Those dimensions work for me and with this help I could start with the under belt, which is the easiest as it has no details or any stitching.

I called the next belt the piping belt as the piping at the top and the bottom is the only thing you can see of it. Therefore that was the only detail I made. This reduces the thickness of the final belt-complex and uses less pleather. I've sewn the piping belt directly on the backside of the third belt, the centre belt, which only has a line of detail stitching at the edges. Here you can see my setup:

Now I've sewn the two belts on the base belt to prevent shifting later on:

With this the three under belts are almost finished. They still need to loops the hold the utility belt, but to make the loops I need to know where they will need to sit, so I needed to make the belt pouches. So of course I started by creating a template:

After cutting all the pieces out the first two steps were adding the detail stitching and glueing the stripe on the flap.

I've then glued the little extra pieces on the front to the back two create the pouch.

All the front pouches and the two middle back pouches won't be functional so I filled them with some foam and cardboard.

I'm currently closeing the fake pouches with some glue. The functional pouches will have some extra steps, I haven't done yet, so I will talk about them in another update.

With the dimensions of the pouches I can now work on the hardware belt. I started with the fron half. I laid all the pouches and the buckles on the three underbelts to see how long the utility belt parts need to be.

After cutting out the utility belt parts and trying if I measured correctly, I've cut out the form of the loops and marked where they will need to be attached to the underbelts.

Attaching the loops will be the next step. Next weekend when I'm at my parents house, I will add the detail stitching of the utility belt as my mother has a better sewing machine than me.

As much as I love this costume it's very hard to make and takes a lot of time. I will try to post more often to create more smaller post instead of a monster one, like this.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2022, 06:04 AM by Falke » Logged
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2022, 01:28 PM »
Still impressed by your work

Geila Alo

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:57 AM »
I've made some more progress with the belt. The front half is finished:

And I've finished the funcioning back pockets. I glued in some black fabric on the inside on the holes, to give them more stability and prevent stuff falling through the holes. They close by magnets:

I also started with the holsters:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!