Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Varactyl-inspired twi'lek mando concept

• 2 Replies
Varactyl-inspired twi'lek mando concept
« on: Jul 10, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Hello, this is the first time I've done a project like this so it's a pretty big learning curve  :) I've recently acquired a set of chest and shoulder armour which is getting the ball rolling!

I'm planning to create a twi'lek mando character which is inspired by the varactyl species - specifically the woodland varactyl variant which is in the SWTOR mmorpg (see image below from SWTORData)

My twi'lek will be purple (will get a pair of silicone lekku from Twi'lek Pam) and I'm going to somehow figure out how to make a custom-made helmet. A friend has suggested using pepakura as a possible method. I'd love to have feather/scale armoured sections at the back of the helmet over the top part of the lekku (I'll add some sketches once I've had a chance to jot them down as I would really love some feedback to see if it is a feasible idea).

The paint of the armour will have a gradient of colour and a slight mottling/scaled effect to reflect the varactyl's hide. The cape will either have fluffy fur or some sort of feathered section near the top (to be honest I haven't seen any mando builds that involve feathers, so I'm not sure if this is allowable). Again, once I sketch out some more concept ideas we can see if it will work  :D

Had a go at putting together a colour scheme with Mando Maker, I was too excited to share this on the forum before putting together any more detailed designs and sketches!!

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
Re: Varactyl-inspired twi'lek mando concept
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Woo!! As someone who's currently working on a kit with Varacytl inspiration, I totally approve and I'm dying to see this kit come together. Too hype  :D

Re: Varactyl-inspired twi'lek mando concept
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2019, 11:28 PM »
Thank you so much! I had a look at your concept design thread and I love the bright colours you're using!  :D

I just finished off a quick design concept sketch for this. I still am not 100% sure how to do the helmet, I'm thinking of using a faceplate that will attach to the headpiece (which will remain on the head/lekku) via magnets (inspired by Amber Brite's nautolan mando build). Has anyone else done something like this? To get a helmet like this approved, what would be the requirements? That is, how much of the top dome needs to remain, and is it okay just to have the forehead+face section that can be separated?

I'll have to go and find the build threads for other twi'leks and alien species to find out what other people have created :)

The gold parts on the helmet are inspired by the armoured scales on the varactyl's face, here's a screencap of Boga from the movie.

Is it okay to have these scales molded onto the helmet (so they rise up/are 3d), or would they need to be painted on?

Thank you for looking at this thread :) Please let me know if I'm heading down the wrong path with any of these elements! Thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!