Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Current WIP

• 33 Replies
Current WIP
« on: Jul 15, 2019, 02:54 PM »
So far I've made some progress on my helmet and am hoping to make more in the next week or so depending on weather conditions. Below is my current progress on my helmet.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Current WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Helmet is looking good! It looks like some edges from the printing is still showing. I would do one last pass with a fine sandpaper grit and a coat of filler primer to be on the safe side. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:37 PM »
This past weekend I attended my first AP and got my armor properly formed. Not sure how long this took but thanks to the Vhett Manda Clan for the help! There was no way I was going to get that back plate formed myself. Below is the process of forming the back plate and the final result of my armor.

There are definitely a lot more work to come!

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Looking good Kail! Can't wait to see more!

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Was working with a family member to create some even masking using a cut sticker this way the tribal markings could be even. Bellow is the progress result.

Ruug'la Tal

• Silence is the roar of strength...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2019, 11:48 PM »
Like the design, what's your color scheme gonna be? Keep up the good work.

Jal Korvo

• Ad Be Ca
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2019, 01:50 AM »
Those markings inspired by Ahsoka Tano? That was definitely something I thought about in my early design phase. Cool to see done on an actual helmet. Looks good.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2019, 02:06 AM »
I forgot to include my color scheme but it is based off of Ahsoka Tano only using the tribal markings and the color scheme.  The two following images are my helmet design and the overall design. I'm leaning more toward adding a loin cloth and kama to add a bit more to the kit.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2019, 12:10 AM »
I was able to apply some spot bondo to get rid of some of the print lines. I still need to hit it with some filler primer before I continue with painting but so far it looks pretty good.

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Its good that you are taking your time with it. Attention to detail is paramount.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2019, 11:11 PM »
A few updates since my last post I did some further work on the helmet. I got rid of a wavy pattern that appeared on the cheeks. It's clear in the photo bellow where that wavy pattern was and I'm hopping after the coats of filler primer that pattern is gone.

Furthermore, I also got a girth belt mostly done, I just need to dye it and add the leather strap in the back then it will be complete.

Finally, I also got my flight suit. I will need to sew some pockets shut and remove the ones on the seat but I should be good.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Good luck on finals.  We'll get you rolling again as soon as things slow down.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:59 PM »
Got quite a few things done these past few weeks. I was able to get the leather work on my belt completed and got the helmet primed and sanded. I also smoothed out the edges of my back plate to adjust the fit.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:45 PM »
Baby steps.  Glad you are inching forward.  Take your time and be meticulous.  Those kill stripes will be yours before you know it.

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Looks good brother. You are making tremendous progress. Really like your technique on the back plate. Keep it up.

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:48 AM »
Made even more progress on my kit these past few days. I was able to finish the helmet with its last round of filler primer. It is now sanded and ready for paint. I also added physical damage to my armor.

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:11 PM »
Very nice!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Ruug'la Tal

« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Great job shaping. Really looks good. Nice clean lines

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Awesome work so far!  :like: :like: :like:

« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2020, 03:10 PM »
After a coat of flat black primer and a metallic over coat this was the result after painting the helmet.

Kol Varek

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Ahhhhh, sanded print lines. Beautiful work, you can tell a lot of time and patience went into these components. Pat yourself on the back, job well done so far!

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:23 PM »
Nice job!  Keep up that attention you are paying to detail.

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Ahhhhh, sanded print lines. Beautiful work, you can tell a lot of time and patience went into these components. Pat yourself on the back, job well done so far!

He put a ton of elbow grease into that bucket.  It really is turning out wonderfully.

« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2020, 01:53 AM »
Over the course of this week I got some plates painted in the same way I did my helmet. I was also able to do some masking on the ab plate!

« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2020, 09:59 PM »
Its been awhile since my last post because of classes and work but I'm back now and I've got some updates! The painting on the helmet is nearly finished the only things that remain are removing the masking, some washes, and the clear coat. I also got two blasters from Kruser that I need to do some file work on and paint. I am working on getting the bacon out of my back plate and this is my latest update. I hope to get more done tonight and this weekend. Below is a bunch of photos of my progress for the last week or so.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!