Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

McQuarrie concept WIP

• 6 Replies
McQuarrie concept WIP
« on: Apr 07, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Well what started as a fun personal helmet build has evolved into a kit build apparently. The helmet is not completed yet but I needed a change of pace. So to kick off my soft parts WIP, I decided to literally start from the ground up. These are the boots I found on Ebay.

After some logo removal and sole painting along with some minor details I have arrived at this stage.

Found a very helpful video on Youtube about painting rubber soles. 1 Part Mod Podge and 1 part acrylic paint. I have never tried this before so we will see how it holds up after a few weeks of use. I will only be able to complete the boots once I have some leg details done on the lower parts of the overall. Speaking of which -

It doesn't look like this anymore. Pockets are removed and I am in the process of tapering the legs using my wife's new sowing machine I got her for her birthday (she now believes I had ulterior motives for buying it for her). Major sowing projects on the suit. Many unusual seams and details but that's all part of the fun I suppose.
If you're interested in the helmet build, it can be found here https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=165235.0

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: McQuarrie concept WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:33 AM »
I love seeing the concept art brought to life

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2019, 03:04 AM »
Thanks Mavik! Quite a lot of unique problem solving to be done but I am enjoying it.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Could you post a link to where you got those boots?

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Hi Mr Wampa. Apologies for the slow reply. Have been away.
Here is the link to the boots I bought. Just click on "seller" and you should be fine from there. Depends on your size as it seems they buy up seconds so sizes could be limited. I just got lucky I suppose. They do however seem to be a bit on the large side so possibly a half a size smaller than what you usually have would be an idea.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-SIZE-8-JALLATTE-JALDAGGER-WHITE-FOOD-SERVICE-CATERING-SLIP-ON-BOOTS-JJ719/332703377713?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Happy Hunting!

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Well Just a quick update. I have not abandoned the project. I have been working away designing details for the utility belt in Fusion 360 and getting other stuff like the armour done. As soon as the project is done I will be sharing the files I have designed. Hang tight!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Well after a break of two months, I thought I would at least post some pics of how far along I am.

I realized that in order to get the placement correct on some of the details on the flight suit, I had to have the belt in place. So that's why I decided to do the utility belt first. Boatloads of finishing off to do but I think the idea is there. Had a bit of a mission with getting the fastening done for the belt buckle but I think I have an idea now so it's just to get the time to do it.

Some of the pieces being painted and prepped for the belt

All the individual pieces have been glued and screwed onto the belt so they should take a mild beating and not remove themselves. The pieces on the back are EPDM foam and they are also glued and screwed onto the edges by by the cylinders.
Seems half my time goes into figuring out how to solve problems instead of building so any suggestions are of course most welcome.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!