Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Blaster pistol 3-D print mashup WIP

• 5 Replies
Blaster pistol 3-D print mashup WIP
« on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:00 AM »
Got ahold of a printer, and decided to try making a swarzy-looking custom sidearm. I've always liked the look of the Auto-9 from the 80s, and Krennic's DT-29 from RO. So I'm trying a mashup with greeblies to be added. The scope from the DT-29 printed in several pieces:

And all printed parts so far:

I may add more... The "rail" at top left in the second pic is from the KR-15 heavy blaster. These things will require significant cleanup with bondo and primer... but it's all printed.

Re: Blaster pistol 3-D print mashup WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2020, 11:05 AM »
Made progress on this thing...

All pieces got superglued up, and primed and sanded a couple of times. Also spot filler to smooth the seams. I have switched out 3D printers since starting this project, and the Ender-3 is much better than what I started with. I swear the print lines would not go away until about the fourth round of primer and sanding...

Some elements have been added where I thought it needed a little something... a cut-up flashlight barrel on the sides, and a couple small pieces of wood where the shapes needed to close up.

I decided to go with a different scope... the one from Krennic's blaster was just too darn big. Went with the scope from something called the KR-e7 carbine. I had to model the mount for it, and it works well enough. I've installed rare earth magnets on the mount and pistol body so it'll be able to switch out easily if I change my mind again.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Not gonna lie, at first I wasn't sure it was gonna work, but you've made a believer out of me. It's really starting to come together well! I'm also a fan of the Auto-9, and I like how you've managed to blend the bits together.

Oya!

Andry         ; )
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2020, 11:24 PM »
Dude I am so jealous  :like: I just ordered a printer to play with.

Failure is never an option. You call it version 1 instead and when all else fails blame Jar Jar
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2020, 12:47 AM »
Not gonna lie, at first I wasn't sure it was gonna work, but you've made a believer out of me. It's really starting to come together well! I'm also a fan of the Auto-9, and I like how you've managed to blend the bits together.

Haha thanks! Glad I've convinced you.

Dude I am so jealous  :like: I just ordered a printer to play with.

Awesome, good luck. My printer really opened a whole new field of possibilities for me.

I embedded a U-bolt in the handle end, to make an attachment for a totem/amulet/trophy down the road. After everything was glued up, bondo'd, and sanded three times (ugh) it was finally time to hit the main pieces with a base coat of silver (three coats).

Then flat black, I think just two coats. I had added a "clip" to the handle, trying to work out a reasonable feel for where the power mag might be on this thing. Since I had already taken the bottom of the handle for the U-bolt, and because this handle is VERY wide (it's like grabbing a 2x4), this location seemed a likely spot for embedding and ejecting a power mag. I probably overthought it.

Masked off the handle...

...and hit it with some Rustoleum "Oil-rubbed bronze". Then I rubbed some Testors brown paint on the edges and corners. It gave the handle a subtle difference from the rest of the flat black.

I also sanded/roughed down all the edges and corners of the flat black, to bring the base silver back out for a decently weathered, but not grimy, appearance. Also added a little bit if a red stripe on one side. This is the first time I've ever used toothpaste as masking fluid for the "chipped paint" effect... it turned out decent. Also 3-d printed, smoothed, sanded, painted and weathered a claw for the amulet attachment on the bottom.

After all that, I decided to really take a risk and laser on some Mando'a on the handle. One side went just fine; the other melted through the printed plastic and had to be filled, sanded, and repainted. I was not happy.

It's almost finished!

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Wow. Really great job! I hope you're gonna clear coat that. I really like how you did the red accent and the overall weathering. Looks really great!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!