Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kirill Ptay WIP

• 14 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Kirill Ptay WIP
« on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:37 PM »
This kit has been in progress for over three years but it is winding down and apparently a WIP thread is mandatory now,  I have a full build log here which currently has over 600 images organized and sorted into over 50 folders.  The images include every step from template design through detailed build images up to finished products.  I'll try to post the highlights in this thread

All images in this thread are thumbnails, click them for full-size images.  I don't know why the forums are rotating some of the images but not others, and I'm not fighting it any longer.  Click the image and the full sized version will open in a new tab and be correctly oriented.

Index:

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 03:03 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Kirill Ptay WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Bucket WIP

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 01:11 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:41 PM »
I started with the Soaring Hammer templates for the Galaxies armor, modified them to my liking in Illustrator, then had them printed on a  wide-format printer at actual size so I could use them as templates.  My modified templates are here (some changes have been made along the way; for example, those knees are the exact Galaxies knees but on me they were too small) along with some WIP pics of the plates.   They are all 6mm Sintra, most with an additional layer of 6mm trauma plates.  I sandwiched tee-nuts between the layers of Sintra wherever possible for mounting to the vest.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2019, 03:35 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Flightsuit was done by Gardengeek while I hovered over her shoulder and did some finishing touches by hand.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 01:43 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Vest WIP Goes Here; vest is being completely redone, WIP to come. 

It will be a faux double-breasted vest which will actually close under the arms.  Concept sketch:

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 03:10 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I started off making a 3d model of the concept I had in mind for a bacta pack for a medic.  In the end, I decided the spiral was a bit too "resident evil" and left that out but here is the initial concept model:

I built the lower "heat sink" portions using some 4" PVC plumbing caps, 3mm Sintra, and wooden coffee stir sticks

My plan is to make it look like the control panels are modular and removable, so while I sealed and blended all other seams in the pack, I intentionally carved V-channels here to make the panels look separate.  Some acrylic dots, an old voltmeter dial, some superbright LEDs and old switches later and we have a control module!

Control module settled in for a test fit.  The vertical pillars are 4" pvc sewage pipe

Testing out the lighting on the "bacta" in the tank and I am ecstatic

I didn't like the tops being open, and with the lights in the "tanks" I needed a cap so I laser cut and assembled some fins

Designed and laser etched a manufacturer's capacity plate.  the fields translate to things like "Temp (min/ideal/max)", "Pressure (min/ideal/max)", "Mfg. Model Number" and so on.  There is a field for "serial number" whichj will be filed off when I am done painting it.  I want this to look like a piece of "salvaged" and modified Imperial gear once it is all done so filing off the serial is a fun little touch.

All assembled and ready for final paint

"But Uncle Zoph, how do you wear it?" you ask?  I'm so glad you asked.  I'm particularly proud of this idea.    I have a bit of a gap betwixt my collar plate and my shoulders that I wanted to fill in a bit, and I wanted a way for the medic to attach some of his gear to keep it handy so I came up with this harness system.  The bacta pack will attach over my shoulders to the front of my gun belt with these gear-carrying straps, and in the back will use clips so sit on, and push down, the back of the belt.  The strapping is made from a black 10oz belt blank and a 4oz tan vegtan strip that I punched a ton of slots into, then sewed them together only along the outer edges of the tan strip to create a "tube"

To attach gear, I used some brass sheet to make "carrier plates" which slot into the system like so:

First: slide the upper part of the plate into a slot

Slide it all the way up as far as it will go:

The bottom of the carrier plate will JUST fit into another slot at the bottom of the gear.  Insert it and slide the item down as far as it will go:

A correctly-attached lamp front and back

I made a handful of carrier plates for some d-rings as well:

Testing an example loadout:

and a test fitting:

The concept is to have a hose from the bacta tank and from an air tank to go to a mixer/manifold, then from there to the helmet.  I had this idea that the character needed a bacta fix in his air supply.  So for some hose barbs I got some 1/4" Lincoln quick connect fittings and ground the hex portion off to make them look a little more unique.

Here you can see them in action on the air canister and manifold:

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 03:27 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:43 PM »
One of the first things I really wanted with this character was a dual-pistol build with a belt based off of Han Solo's, but doubled.    So with that in mind, I hit up Ward Arms for a pair of their resin DE-110 blasters modelled after the DE-10, a classic Death Watch blaster to go with the silver plates and the red and blue chest lights.  The fact that it is modelled after the Colt Walker, which was a classic cowboy-movie revolver really added to the feel of the "two blasters slung low" feel I was looking for.  Since I got a pair of them, Condar was able to hook me up with offset scopes so the scopes are both on the "inside" when I hold the blasters.

I also really want to go with the medic vibe so to go with the bacta tank on his back, I've made some filled vials which will either go on his belt or on a bandolier.  The vial caps are aluminum turned on the lathe to get a perfect custom fit for the acrylic tube.  I'm doing an assortment of colors; I'm thinking blue for bacta, red for kolto, yellow for antitoxin/antivenom.  I could possibly do some green for a poison or an antivenom or something like that, but I don't think I have room for more and a few of these on the kit.

Spoiler:  the filled vials alongside one of the gauntlets

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 02:17 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:45 PM »
As mentioned above, the cowboy gunbelt based off of Han Solo's style was one of the main design concepts on this build.  Hand made from 8oz vegtan leather and the hangers are from brass sheet.  I had to design the buckles custom in order to make this work; these images show some plastic proof-of-concept placeholders for them.  I have brass on order and will be milling the buckles out of that when it comes in.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 02:28 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:45 PM »
For my girth belt I wanted a Jango-style extra wide/tall (8") belt that could actually work to help keep my girth in check so I turned to leather again, this time 4oz to keep it more comfortable.  I got my hands on some gorgeous 6mm round braided leather dyed a gorgeous "distressed blue" and couldn't resist.  I used some "antique brass" sliders throughout the belt which match the hardware used everywhere else to help tie it together while the blue added a nice splash of color.

That is a LOT of holes to punch and I am inherently lazy (hence the aforementioned girth) so I cheated and threw the leather in the laser cutter to make the holes all perfect for me.

Each strand is sewn down tot he backing in five places by hand from the back so that the actual means of attaching is not visible.  I didn't want to just top-stitch them down and ruin the aesthetic.  Did I say I was lazy?   I guess I pick my battles.   This took FOR EV ER to do by hand.

Some more leather to make caps so the ends of the braids aren't standing out and hopefully to help keep them from fraying.  I used brown this time to tie it in with the other belts and with the brass sliders.

Black straps and Cobra buckles for adjustability

A test fitting and it's just what I was hoping.  I can cinch it up a bit more than this and get that gut compressed a little in the process.

I mentioned the laser... I went through all the effort of laying out all those holes to cut so I did a little something fun while I was on it.  A little easter egg on the inside of the belt where it will never be seen by the public.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 02:41 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:45 PM »
I have a giant tank of bacta on my back and a bunch of filled vials on my belt, but how do you get it from the tank into the vials?  I need a filling mechanism.  I also need gauntlets.  JACKPOT!

These have gone through many iterations but this is my current design.  I modelled the control panel and 3D printed it, the rest is 6mm Sintra and some googley eyes for rivets.  The main panel will remain detachable like that so I can get tot he lighting on the inside.  I am doing up some artwork to cut vinyl decals for the display screen and I'll backlight it and the bacta.

Ready for electronics and final paint.  The right gauntlet is a very basic clamshell.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 03:06 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Something I Forgot WIP Goes Here

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Pre-app Photos Go Here

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2019, 12:13 PM »
I mentioned the laser... I went through all the effort of laying out all those holes to cut so I did a little something fun while I was on it.  A little easter egg on the inside of the belt where it will never be seen by the public.

[/quote]

That is slick!!!
Always love the Easter eggs.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2019, 01:38 PM »
That is one thorough WIP! Well done!

I'm really excited to see this all together!!!

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Firemaester

• We bleed, exhaust ourselves, and die.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2019, 12:59 AM »
More more more lets see more

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!