Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

(Approved) Road to OM! A Legacy WIP *Pic Heavy*

• 90 Replies
Re: Road to OM!!! (Legacy WIP) *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 03:01 AM »
Nice work on the vest :). You already covered needing to cover the zips, so there's really nothing else to add there. I dig the new plate design and I don't think you really need to adjust anything. While definitely on the narrow side, I don't think the chest plates should be an issue. If you're worried, adding as much as an inch to either side at the top shouldn't restrict your movement too much more than what you already have. There is, of course, only so much flexibility that you'll get there, but if you look at real world examples, most breastplates were actually pretty narrow across the chest. That armpit space was usually covered by oversized pauldrons on the shoulders. We, of course, have to walk the line between real armor and aesthetic, of course.

Normally, I'd say you might need more more ab plate, or to length the ones that are there, but your girth belt is pretty wide so the space should be filled just fine. Speaking of which, and forgive me if you already said this or someone else did, but the buckles on the back of the girth belt will need to be painted so that they look metal. I believe it was added when the CRLs were updated; it's hidden in the Soft Parts > Strapping section, listing them as parachute clips. Fortunately easy; even just dry brushing on acrylic silver gives them the 'weathered, painted metal' look.

Thanks for all the input, really means a lot.
For the chest I don't plan on widening it as of right now. I am going to be templating some shoulders to see if I can get a design I like to cover a little bit of the gap.
I'll probably do a kit up with the templates and girth belt to get a feel for everything. If I have to extend abs I will. No biggy :)
And you are correct, I am aware of the new CRL rule on buckles. But thanks for saying something because I don't want to forget lol.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I saw your pics on the facebook group too with the new shoulders and I think it fills the space nicely. I don't comment much on FB but my wife is on there all the time and is always messaging me links to builds she likes.

No problem on the buckles! I actually got my app sent back last year when I re-apped after being retired and they gigged me on the buckle on my girthbelt, among other small issues. Now they tend to jump right out at me whenever I see one, lol.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 05:58 PM »
I saw your pics on the facebook group too with the new shoulders and I think it fills the space nicely. I don't comment much on FB but my wife is on there all the time and is always messaging me links to builds she likes.

No problem on the buckles! I actually got my app sent back last year when I re-apped after being retired and they gigged me on the buckle on my girthbelt, among other small issues. Now they tend to jump right out at me whenever I see one, lol.

Awesome! Glad you have seen what ive come up with so far. Thats actually what ill be sharing today lol.  and yeah i dont want to be sent back for the buckles, so its good to keep reminding myself lol

So as i stated above, Its update time!!

I have done some good updates for everyone this time i promise. :-)

okay so first off i took the vest in at the shoulders to make it fit better, and im super digging how it fits now. The armor also fits better on it too.

Next i made used a shoulder template out of the legacy file offered by the mercs here and put it to some cardboard. I like the result and will be moving forward with this design, with minor tweaks that is.

Decided to go with some arc trooper knees for my knees. I really like the shape so figured id go with it.

And finally here are some pics of the templates and finished product of the neck seal i made.
So pics in order as best I can:

1. Measures my neck (17 1/4 in) and added roughly 2 -2.5 in. length to make it almost 20 in. And when i transferred this to my final material i added a half inch all the way around it for seam allowance. You will see what i mean in later pics.

2. Found the diameter of my neck and drew up a circle with the measurements.

3. I measured an outer circle from the main and cut it out. Size is up to you. My original was 5 in from it. And then measured an inch (can probably go half honestly) inward from the circle and drew another circle. This is the one to cut out.

4. Cut out inner circle and made outer circle smaller. ( didnt want it so big)

5. Placed neck template on circle to make sure it fit.

6 and 7. Cut slits to main circle. These will be part attaching to back of neck seal part.

7 and 8. Pinned the circle to neck seal and sewed together taking my time.

9. Viola! Done. Feel free to add more customization as you see fit.

Thats pretty much all i have this week. There is still lots to be done. I still have to add the velcro closure to the neck seal, cover the zippers on the vest, and trace and cut out templates out of the plastic just to name a few.
Thanks for checking my build out, stay safe and have a great day everyone. :-)

-Josh

Durkev Zandar

• TC/BH-7278
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Looking good!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Oh yeah, very nice

« Reply #30 on: Jun 04, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Looking good!
Thanks so much!

Oh yeah, very nice
Thanks so much!

Okay vode it's time for an update!

Sorry it's been so long since I've done an update, been busy with life stuffs :-).

Okay so first is an update on the neck seal. I ended up adding the material I took off of it back on because it was to short and kept popping out of the vest. So note to everyone, dont cut the material until you test fit it... lol

Next up is the vest. I added a flap on the sides to cover the zippers :-)

3rd I worked on my kama and loin cloth. I added accents to them so they were not just the black leather.

And finally the last update for today is the new armor pieces. I cut them out of 6mm sintra, beveled the edges and did some sanding. There is still a bit more sanding to do but I think I'll wait till I shape them and glue the trauma plates down.

That's all for now everyone :-)
Thanks for taking the time to check out my progress. Critiques are welcome!

- Josh B.

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #31 on: Jun 08, 2020, 09:53 PM »
Looking great! I'm super jealous of the leather work!

-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

-Fair warning- Default setting is grumpy. Doesn't play well with others.
« Reply #33 on: Jun 25, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Looking great! I'm super jealous of the leather work!

Thanks God! The brown is fake leather and the black is thin leather I bought years ago. Just used a sewing machine to slowly stich them together :-).

This looks great, vod!

Thanks so much vod! Wait till ya see this update lol.

Greetings vode! I apologize for the lack of updates lately. Life happens :-)

So I go my plates shaped to my body (will have better pics of that later), added another plate to the back and re worked the shoulders because I didnt like how they were sitting. Also I attached the front and back plates with buckles and got those attached today. :-)

Here are the shoulders after trimming and whatnot. And some test fits with tape.

Here is the extra back piece I added :-)

And here is the buckles on the top of the armor.

Sorry not to many pics this update, phone was being weird. It's okay I'll get more soon.

So next tasks:
-Add a strap from the front to the back across the middle of the body.
-Strap the shoulders and get those where I want.
-Strap the legs and knees
-Sand and prime everything
-Paint!
- Pray and do a test fit of everything.
-if everything is working out then submit pre ap pics.

That's all for now everyone! Have a great day!
Thanks for hanging out and seeing what I'm creating.

-Josh

« Reply #34 on: Jun 28, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Hey code! So quick update showing some progress. :-)

So added the side strapping to the front and back and then was doing some test fits for how I'm thinking about mounting the shoulders.

Please let me know what ya think:-)

Thanks!

-Josh

Ascalon

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:30 AM »
Armor is looking really good.  I see just a little float in the back plate on the left side.

If you look at this compared to your right side you will see the difference. The right side really lays against your back nicely with no gap. Just needs a little more shaping on the left.  Double check your collar area too. With your arms up we can’t see how the chest plate lays there. But from the front there doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Other than that little float the rest seems to be sitting good. Nice job on shaping the plates.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Tra’cor Clan MMCC1981
« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Armor is looking really good.  I see just a little float in the back plate on the left side.

If you look at this compared to your right side you will see the difference. The right side really lays against your back nicely with no gap. Just needs a little more shaping on the left.  Double check your collar area too. With your arms up we can’t see how the chest plate lays there. But from the front there doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Other than that little float the rest seems to be sitting good. Nice job on shaping the plates.

Roger that! I see what you mean.
Thanks so much for the input. I'll make sure to do a suit up and pics before painting so I can do any shaping touch ups and not ruin paint.
Thanks again!

-Josh

Re: Road to OM!!! A Legacy WIP *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #37 on: Jul 04, 2020, 06:55 AM »
Greeting Vod!

Another update today, a small one, but still an update. :-)
I've finished attaching my shoulder armor and I am digging it. I've got great range of motion (not pictured because it was a video lol)
And they sit great.
Pics incoming! Sorry for quality, wife was asleep and I couldn't wait to share lol.

That's all for now.
As far as what's next:
Strapping for my legs.
2nd waist item, although probably be a belt with sheaths for weapons.
Figure out battle damage, if any, on the armor.
More sanding and prepping for paint :-)

It's coming along, albeit slowly, but it's getting there. :-)

-Josh

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #38 on: Jul 04, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Excellent progress dude! It's really coming together well :)

« Reply #39 on: Jul 06, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Excellent progress dude! It's really coming together well :)

Thanks so much! Yeah I'm happy with this design for sure. More to come soon!

-Josh

« Reply #40 on: Jul 07, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Greetings vode!

Okay so decided to suit up and test fit in most of what is built. This is also the new "flight suit" I'm planning on going with.

Helmet and Gauntlets are not in the picture. Gauntlets are not currently put together and didnt want to reassemble right now.
Knees are not strapped yet, just sitting in boot strap.

Overall I'm really happy with how it looks and excited to move on to paint soon. :-)

What do you guys think??

Thanks so very much for taking a look.

look.

-Josh

Kiladyn

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din. K'oyacyi!
« Reply #41 on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:52 PM »
I think it looks great! I am an UM so I am no expert but you have done an awesome job!

Please correct me on any mistakes or wrong info.
The first thing that pops in my head is do you have gloves?
I have seen that some people paint the plastic buckles on the straps so they look more metal.

Im sure there are OMs here and maybe approval team members that can give more precise suggestions or comments.  I did want to say I have been following this thread some because I am making my first set legacy and have learn from you!

« Reply #42 on: Jul 08, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I think it looks great! I am an UM so I am no expert but you have done an awesome job!

Please correct me on any mistakes or wrong info.
The first thing that pops in my head is do you have gloves?
I have seen that some people paint the plastic buckles on the straps so they look more metal.

Im sure there are OMs here and maybe approval team members that can give more precise suggestions or comments.  I did want to say I have been following this thread some because I am making my first set legacy and have learn from you!

Thanks so much!

Yes I do have gloves and hand plates, just didnt have them ready for pics.
As far as the buckles go, yeah I'll be probably dry brushing them to give them that metal look :-)

Yeah I'm always down to hear what people have to say.
I'm glad that my build could inspire you! :-)

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2020, 01:37 PM »
im excited to see this when its 100%, so far its a stellar kit, you have done very nice work, stay on this path, best advice i can give you is don't rush it and don't over complicate it, which so far you have not. great job!

« Reply #44 on: Jul 20, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Just realized you are wearing your new flight suit you previously mentioned in our clan chat. I was skeptical at first for it being spandex material but I really dig it. It will easily adjust to your body size if you lose/gain any weight over time and you don't need to go through all the alterations many other flight suits require for OM status. Great choice overall! I know your plan is to eventual go for brigades, what is your plan for a cod down the road? Your loin cloth currently hides the "problems" we disused in the chat. I would still be concerned that some one would get too hands on... though, I hear this has happened before. Also kids are this height as well so always something to think about. May the schwartz be with you!   ;D

MMCC #UM | Sarlacc Clan (Nevada, USA)
Cabur Akaata #185 | Wrangalorian #13
Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #45 on: Jul 21, 2020, 05:43 AM »
im excited to see this when its 100%, so far its a stellar kit, you have done very nice work, stay on this path, best advice i can give you is don't rush it and don't over complicate it, which so far you have not. great job!

Thanks so much for the kind words! Yeah I'm trying not to rush things for sure. I did that with the first style of armor and didnt like it. I'm really enjoying how this kit is coming along. Thanks again

Just realized you are wearing your new flight suit you previously mentioned in our clan chat. I was skeptical at first for it being spandex material but I really dig it. It will easily adjust to your body size if you lose/gain any weight over time and you don't need to go through all the alterations many other flight suits require for OM status. Great choice overall! I know your plan is to eventual go for brigades, what is your plan for a cod down the road? Your loin cloth currently hides the "problems" we disused in the chat. I would still be concerned that some one would get too hands on... though, I hear this has happened before. Also kids are this height as well so always something to think about. May the schwartz be with you!   ;D

Yeah and its comfy too! As far as the "problems" I'll most likely just wear the boxer style jock inward telling you about.  This way even if any hands on happens it will be okay :-)
May the Schwartz be with you! Lol thanks for the laugh

Will have an update soon everyone! Been playing with paints and sanding stuff so hopefully within the next week or so :-)

-Josh

Xanniko Neshima

• Vibroaxe is the word!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs of Charity Work 40% increase or more
« Reply #46 on: Jul 22, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Great advances.
If you accept suggestions, I would add some kind of side armor to protect your flanks and, mainly for this, get the closure straps hidden.
Great work with the neckseal  :like: :like: :like:

#2045 They are takin´the twi´leks to Iraatan!!!
« Reply #47 on: Jul 22, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Great advances.
If you accept suggestions, I would add some kind of side armor to protect your flanks and, mainly for this, get the closure straps hidden.
Great work with the neckseal  :like: :like: :like:

That's a good suggestion.  I've briefly thought about it actually :)
I have seen some good looking armor with that.  I'll have to think on it for sure. And thanks, I think it turned out pretty good.

-Josh

« Reply #48 on: Aug 06, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Greetings Vode!

Just a small update today. Added some battle damage to my armor pieces and thought I'd share :-)

I'll be moving on to painting this week if I get a chance :-)
Thanks for looking!

-Josh

« Reply #49 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Greetings Vode!

So small update!
Put a few coats of primer on my armor pieces.
Didn't make it to paint yet though. Perhaps this weekend :-)

Thanks for checking it out!

-Josh

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!