Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Parts WiP

• 40 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Soft Parts WiP
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:07 AM »
Thanks all! I'm hoping the colour scheme won't be too much of an issue without an actual cammo texture/pattern on the plates of fabric. With any luck someone from the approval team will see the thread and offer some insight...

I think as long as you're not adding camo pattern or using any of the colours on the "No" list, you should be alright. If you need a refresher on the "do not use these colours" list, check the CRL's. They all have the complete list.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:20 PM »
I think as long as you're not adding camo pattern or using any of the colours on the "No" list, you should be alright. If you need a refresher on the "do not use these colours" list, check the CRL's. They all have the complete list.

~Shauna

All I could find in the CRLs vis-a-vis camo was in reference to actual camo patterns (such as not using patterned material for a flak vest, for example.) I didn't see anything about a list of unacceptable colours, just a list of unacceptable real world camo styles. Can you advise?

Haat o'r an werlaarase – There's truth in all Legends
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Well vode, owing to some family matters January wound up being less allowing of creative time than I'd predicted. I'm about to go into a new second job, so I don't know how much spare time I'll be able to wring out of my life in the near future, but in the meanwhile I have drawn up a rough outline of a cape I'm going to add to my kit:

The dimensions I chose are intended to give it a narrow, Din Djarin-style look. The idea itself came partly from necessity (not knowing when my back plate will be properly shaped) and partly from a desire to give my beskar'gam different accessories for different seasons and weather – for instance, I'd also like to do a waterproof poncho like Jango's, and I would ditch this cape for troops in the warm summer months. (all two of them here in Canada)

Not sure when the next update will be but it will hopefully be soon!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:49 AM »
All I could find in the CRLs vis-a-vis camo was in reference to actual camo patterns (such as not using patterned material for a flak vest, for example.) I didn't see anything about a list of unacceptable colours, just a list of unacceptable real world camo styles. Can you advise?

Oya vod,

Crl's state, per the "Additional Info" section:
"No “modern” or “common” off the shelf camo patterns may be used.  Camo patterns allowed must be uncommon, vintage, or in-universe and will be highly scrutinized during the application process.  Officially barred “off the shelf” camo patterns:  Woodland, Tiger Stripe, 3 Color Desert, MARPAT, Real Tree, Mossy Oak, ACU, Urban, 6 Color Desert, Swiss Alpineflague, and MultiCam."

You're correct in that it applies to camo patterns. You [I/might[/I] be able to get away with a similar pattern to the Rebel cloak style in Return of the Jedi, as that is canon patterning that isn't too earthy or "off the shelf".
Other than that, colours are good to go.

And I dig the cape. Granted, I'm biased. :D

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Su cuy, vode! Well I put the pedal to the metal and managed to squeeze out a productive afternoon and evening before my first long training shift tomorrow.

After drawing out the cape to the dimensions I'd initially planned, I decided it looked far too narrow, so I widened the bottom from 25"...

...to 36" (37" including the seams). In case it isn't clear, the decorative orange stripe is indeed inspired by Boba's ESB cape. I thought it would be a good nod since I was already using a fairly similar tan colour of material for the cape proper, and I thought it would also look more than a little boring without some decoration. For that same reason, I'll be going ahead with adding the Mythosaur skull, roughly the size of the one pictured here, on a t-shirt I'd folded up for reference.

Out of time to attach velcro, I pinned the cape to my flak vest for reference and popped the plates on. I'm fairly pleased with how it sits at the moment, though I know the addition of the skull will change that–as will wearing it over a backplate, once it's shaped. I've already experienced some drag going down a flight of stairs, so I'm sure the train will get filthy quickly, but let's call it a bit of real-world weathering eh?  :laugh:

« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:24 PM »
This week has been pretty mental, so I decided to eschew more responsible uses of my time today and get more work on the cape done before my shift tonight. Rather than going with my original plan to put small holes in the cape to accommodate the snaps attaching the gorget to the flak vest, I decided to pinch up the ends of the cape that go down over the shoulders to fit between said snaps. The layout of velcro I used to attach the cape to both the vest and the gorget became a bit more involved than I initially expected, and for good reason: one of the main accessories I have planned for my kit is a custom made under arm holster. In order to allow the straps for the holster to go under the cape rather than over and causing all kinds of problems, I attached the velcro between the vest itself and the cape to run vertically up the collar, rather than horizontal across the collar like the velcro between the cape and the gorget. This has taken a lot more explaining in words than might be strictly necessary, so I'll just let the pictures I took do the rest of the talking:

I'd post a picture of how today's work looks when worn, but I'm supposed to be seeing my ruus'alor at an armour party this weekend, and she has eagerly supported the addition of this cape since its inception, so I'd rather wait to show her in person  ;)

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Looking great so far :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:03 AM »
I do like the look of this, and I think with the mythosaur skill now in place, it will bump it up a notch or three.

Back plates suck though. *haha*

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:27 PM »
I do like the look of this, and I think with the mythosaur skill now in place, it will bump it up a notch or three.

Back plates suck though. *haha*

~Shauna

I guess I have one picture for each notch I'm bumping then!  :D

Shauna already knows what's up, but here's my continued progress with the cape. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a t-shirt with a perfectly sized Mythosaur skull. I took a sheet of waxed paper to it for tracing, and although it isn't wide enough to get the whole skull at once, I have included the edges of the hooked tusks in the template of the main skull, to make sure I get the spacing right later.

Lucky for me I have a ton of pine green felt kicking around, so getting the skull just right won't be a problem, and neither will frayed edges, which is why I decided to use felt in the first place. Tracing the template did prove to be a bit tricky, with a few elements being easily nudged out of alignment.

Thanks to some help from my trusty ruus'alor, I have the main piece of the skull pinned in just the right spot.

Embroidering the pieces by hand will take a shabla long time, so don't hold your breath on the next update!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:31 PM »
Excellent.

Make sure I get my pins back. ;P

That said, my Sewing machine does semi-do embroidery. Unless you're really bent on the hand-stitched look, bring it back and I can see about getting to appliqué it for you. I had forgotten to mention that I also have Heat n' Bond, which might help keep it in place too.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Excellent.

Make sure I get my pins back. ;P

That said, my Sewing machine does semi-do embroidery. Unless you're really bent on the hand-stitched look, bring it back and I can see about getting to appliqué it for you. I had forgotten to mention that I also have Heat n' Bond, which might help keep it in place too.

~Shauna

Time consuming as it is, I don't mind doing it by hand. I can take things slow and correct any little mistakes (pinching, bumping out of alignment, etc.) as I go. Plus it gives me an extra personal connection to the work, spending all that time on it  ;)

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:50 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the completed piece!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #37 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:54 AM »
Vode, I know five months is a long time to go without an update, but... *gestures vaguely at the tire-fire world of 2020*

You don't need me to tell you that a lot has happened, that much is obvious. Because of the pandemic, work dried up to absolutely nothing for three months, cutting me off financially from making major progress on my kit, and what's more the unrelenting deterioration of life as we know it had a profoundly draining effect on my mental state, severely crippling my drive to continue. Depression is a shabuir, and it had me ground to a halt for longer than I'd care to admit.

But then something happened.

I was catching up on episodes of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, and watching the episode about Ludwig Göransson's score was the first time that I'd heard his music for The Mandalorian since things really went to osik. It sounds cheesy, but the music called to me. It broke the back of the ennui that had been crushing me for months, and reinvigorated my spirit to continue the work.

I'm pleased to say that I have turned a corner:

After countless hours of diligent work, the main piece of the skull is finally fully attached to the cape, and I anticipate that the remaining teeth and tusks will follow in short order!

Due to my family's safety-first approach to the continuing pandemic, I'm still cut off from my clan for the time being, but nothing will stop me from continuing to do everything I can on my own to get my kit closer to completion.

This is the way.

« Reply #38 on: Jul 08, 2020, 12:46 PM »
Yesterday I finished embroidering the skull onto the cape, and I'm quite pleased with the results!

As you can see, the narrow cut of the cape doesn't do much to change the silhouette of my kit from the front, but from behind I think it fits right in! My back plate is still in the process of being shaped, so I'm sure that the cape will sit at least a little differently once it's finished.

As for what's next, I still need to properly finish the cuffs of my flight suit's legs, get a girth belt made, and figure out what I'm going to do for gloves. I'm also considering making an extension for my neck seal, just to keep my chin and the back of my head properly covered from lower angles – I'm not keen on wearing the likes of a balaclava under my bucket!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2020, 12:54 PM »
This is looking amazing Scott. The addition of the cape really bumps it up a notch... and is inspiring to me as well. Now I want to trade out my current cape and spats for something with a similar embroidery. :D You're right that it really does fit on the back and adds something to the shillouette from behind, but from the front it looks like there's only the barest whisper of fabric.

Keep up the good work.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899

vershnekit

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #40 on: Aug 01, 2020, 05:45 PM »
You got skills. Love the sewn in pleating on the side of your flightsuit and the Mythosaur skull

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!