Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jango Fett (Geonosis) WIP

• 79 Replies

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Jango Fett (Geonosis) WIP
« Reply #50 on: Oct 06, 2021, 09:12 PM »
Minor progress:

So the only plates that still need some serious TLC are the chest plates. Everything else is ready for weathering.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #51 on: Oct 06, 2021, 10:02 PM »
Sweet.
Really looking forward to seeing the next update!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jennari

« Reply #52 on: Oct 06, 2021, 11:20 PM »
Thanks, Strak!  :like:

Jennari

« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2022, 09:58 AM »
Minor progress.

Gauntlet hinges are secured on.

And have the snaps on my boots and plates. (Yes, the plates might need to be secured more so none of the gray area shows)

Helmet's been sanded and primed.

Button holes have been added to the flight suit.

All that's left to do:

- (Possibly) re-shape the chest armor; then sanding, priming, and rub'n'buffing
- Weather everything
- Add greeblies and gauntlet extensions where needed
- Paint/Rub'n'buff the helmet
- Attach the armor to the soft parts
- Make a few minor repairs

Getting closer!!!

(Mi'ix, if you could please PM me, I'd appreciate it; I know you're busy, I just need an answer or two) (Sorry to disturb you; and thank you)

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2022, 12:31 AM by Jennari » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2022, 12:48 PM »
MOAR PROGRESS!!!

Good to see you’re still working on this, Jen’ika.  And I can’t wait to see it finished!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jennari

« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2022, 05:56 PM »
I'm always working on it, Strak. Even when there aren't any updates for ages.  ;)

And thanks, ner vod.  :<3:

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2022, 06:51 PM »
those boots and plates are awesome.... just amazing.  :like:

Jennari

« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2022, 12:37 AM »
And now I've got all the leg plates strapped on. (Excuse the lack of my right shin plate; it needed some repairs) Might need some adjustment and more snaps to make sure they sit correctly, but otherwise good.

Jaster Fett

• All men are cremated equally
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #58 on: Feb 12, 2022, 12:47 AM »
Hey Jennari

First off, I'm impressed with your attention to  detail leaving the gauntlet hinges brass. A lot of people overlook that. Your Flightsuit came out the perfect color. Again, not easy. Just a few points.

Biggest being your thigh plates look purportionately small on you compared to the seemingly larger purportionate ones on Jango. The ankles of your pants seem to also flare out way past the shin plates. A little is fine but that is quite a bit.

The Flightsuit pants of the original costume are weird compared to the rest because everything else is looser while the ankles and thighs are more snug.

I'm going to be following along and providing insight when and where I can!

Jennari

« Reply #59 on: Feb 12, 2022, 12:52 AM »
Thanks, Joey. And I don't deserve credit for the gauntlet hinges. It's a Cruzer kit.

The problem is that the thighs were originally deemed too large, so they were trimmed down. But making another set is cake compared to the other plates. If you could just help me figure out how much bigger they need to be, I'd appreciate it.

I don't know why the pant legs are flaring out. This is a Bobamaker flight suit made to my measurements, and I've actually gained weight since purchasing it. I'm not good at sewing, but any tips on fixing them are appreciated.

And is everything else good?

Jaster Fett

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #60 on: Feb 12, 2022, 01:12 AM »

Long and short: the thighs need to be wider and longer and cover more area. I placed your photo next to the screen used costume for comparison

Unfortunately, sewing is far from my specialty either but what I do know what can help is to dart the ankles. You may need to see a local alterations studio or a seamstress to assist you, but let's get it wearable first before making a final determination.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #61 on: Feb 13, 2022, 11:52 AM »
I do have to agree with Jaster on this.

Perhaps it looks a little odd because you're not wearing your holsters or cod plate, but we need more in terms of coverage.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #62 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:22 PM »
More curve on the thigh plates, too.  The edges are floating.  The screen-used thighs also seem to be made of thinner material.  Your knees also seem a little on the small side.  Joey's side-by-side image is very helpful in seeing what needs some adjusting. :)

I'll walk you through how to shape the curves in video sometime later if I remember.  I was planning on getting your helmet almost ready for paint today.  :jango:

Jennari

« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2022, 03:03 PM »
More curve on the thigh plates, too.  The edges are floating.  The screen-used thighs also seem to be made of thinner material.  Your knees also seem a little on the small side.  Joey's side-by-side image is very helpful in seeing what needs some adjusting. :)

I can remake the thighs.  And they're only floating because there's not attachment up there. Also, this sintra is about as thin as you can get without it being too thin.

I DON'T have time to make new knees!!! Those were made from scratch, and it was a painstaking effort. I only know one person who makes screen-accurate Jango knees, and he charges $143 for them. Plus, I don't know if he makes them in more than one size.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2022, 03:08 PM by Jennari » Logged

Jaster Fett

« Reply #64 on: Feb 15, 2022, 12:53 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the knees Jennari. They're not egregiously small like the thigh plates.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #65 on: Feb 15, 2022, 12:58 PM »
Knees are probably okay enough, but like I said on messenger, I'll look into whipping up a better set as soon as I have time.

To get the right thigh size, put the flightsuit on with knees and codpiece attached.  Measure two fingers up from the top of the knee plate and make a chalk mark on the flightsuit (because chalk washes out easily).  Make another chalk mark level with the bottom of the codpiece.  Measure two fingers up from the higher chalk mark and make a third mark there.  Then take off the flightsuit and measure the distance (with a ruler or measuring tape) between the two farthest chalk marks.  That will be the correct length of your thigh plates.  Scale your cutting pattern to that.

Remember that thighs have to curve on both the X and Y axis to conform to the shape of your leg.

Jennari

« Reply #66 on: Mar 26, 2022, 12:23 AM »

FINALLY rub'n'buffed the chest plates, with the exception of the left one since it needs more work.

Closer and closer to the end!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #67 on: Mar 26, 2022, 12:15 PM »
Sweet!

Jennari

« Reply #68 on: Apr 03, 2022, 11:45 PM »
Made PHENOMENAL progress this weekend. I'm practically done! WARNING: This is a pic heavy post.  ;D

Before and after.

All the armor, sans the helmet, is weathered.

ALMOST all the greeblies and parts are secured on the gauntlets. Also still need to paint the rocket.

And the knee darts are attached.

All that's left is to weather my helmet once I get it, and attach the remaining plates to the soft parts.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #69 on: Apr 04, 2022, 11:45 AM »
Wow!  That's a LOT of shiny/grimy armor!  Looking good, so far, and I really can't wait to see you kitted up!

Jennari

« Reply #70 on: Apr 04, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Thanks, Strak. Means a lot coming from you.

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #71 on: Apr 04, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Good orientation on the darts, nice observation with the larger one on top.

I know you haven't gotten into painting the gauntlet laser/rocket, but the nose should be copper instead of brass.  Might be the lighting though. 

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Jennari

« Reply #72 on: Apr 04, 2022, 05:12 PM »
It's copper, I assure you.

Jennari

« Reply #73 on: Apr 13, 2022, 06:25 PM »
Well, unless anyone thinks the paint job needs work, helmet is ready to be shipped to me! I'll weather it properly once I have it.

Mi'ix

« Reply #74 on: Apr 13, 2022, 07:20 PM »
Who did the paint work?

The black stripes around the dome should be closer together.

Can I see how they sit in relation to the turn signals on the front of the helmet?

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!