Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Death Watch Airborne Version A - TCW S05 - WIP

• 72 Replies
Re: Death Watch Airborne Version A - TCW S05 - WIP
« Reply #45 on: Aug 13, 2020, 01:32 PM »
dude, this an absolutely stunning build, there's a lot of techniques in here that I wouldn't have even though of, this is an AMAZING WIP, like seriously, not just for the costume you are going for, but just in general how well you are recording everything, I wish I could keep up like that. and your attention to detail *chef's kiss*. I  will DEFIANTLY be subbing to this thread to use as a learning tool.

« Reply #46 on: Aug 13, 2020, 04:16 PM »
A very nice build and awesome detailed WIP.  I love to see your progress and keep picking up some inspirations.

mrfred

• a.k.a. - Lockguard Mack
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #47 on: Aug 18, 2020, 01:59 AM »
Thank you guys for the kind words of motivation!

Here's another quick update...as mentioned before, season 7 gave more clearer screenshots of this kit...one of the details overlooked by me and others building this kit is the color detailing in few of the bottom areas the rocket, specifically at the very bottom where most probably won't see it...there is a circular area where it needs to be dark gray.
Here are the references...

So I went back to my rocket and masked that area out for painting...

And added some weathering to it also...

And this area, for both sides, have to be dark gray too.

---Knee Armor Painting and Weathering

For this particular version of the airborne trooper, it's mentioned that the color is sliver and dark gray, however, to be even more accurate, the right knee armor does have a faint hint of blue to it...only the keenest of eyes can pick it up...here are my refereneces:

As mentioned earlier, I've coated most of my armor parts, including the knees with the Rustoleum metallic matte nickel...

Next I'll coat them with a medium gray color using the Montana Gold Gravel-G7060

After letting the paint cure for about a day, I started to sand off the top medium gray layer off the edges for weathering effects, thus revealing the silver nickel color underneath. I used a variety of abrasives to take that top coating off...from 150 grit, 320 grit, 500 grit to smooth things out, and including grade #0 steel wool for a smoother blending...

Next, I used silver Rub n' Buff to even out the areas where over sanding ocurred and to even out some of the rough areas. One of the details of the right knee, based off of the screenshots, has three distinctive scraped weathered marks on them.

As mentioned, the right knee has a faint hint of blue to it. Here I dusted a little bit of Signal Blue to it.

Next I applied an overall general black wash to the pieces, then a second layer black wash but this time via blotching using a natural artist sponge to achieve a pattern effect to the wash...

Lastly, I applied some graphite to the knees for a little bit more darker carbon scoring...but this time my application to the powder was slightly different. I lightly sprinkled the toner with a brush, then with a rag, I dapped it, not smeared it, so I can have more of a spotted effect.

And here are the results...

I have to say that I am fairly satisfied with how this turned out.
All set for now.

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2020, 02:15 AM by mrfred » Logged
MMCC OM# 1674 |Manda'galaar Clan
M.L.C.S. #23 / M.A.R.S #56 / New Death Watch Order #34 / M5 #078 / Grey Brigade #46
M.A.C.K. Daddy #34 / D.A.D.M #006 / M.A.D. #076 / Mando Wraps #001 / M.A. #177 / The Wrangalor Society #001
MrFred's MK I | DW Airborne Ver.A

mrfred

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #48 on: Aug 24, 2020, 03:04 AM »
---Boot Armor Painting and Weathering

My references...

Mentioned a couple months ago that I initially painted my boot armor with an undercoat of silver/nickel paint.

Now I'm going to base coat it with a medium gray, Montana Gold - Gravel-G7060.

Next I dusted it with a darker gray, MG Stealth and Rustoleum Charcoal...

Did some light sanding to the boot armor after the paint was dry...then I dusted my canvas boots with light gray pigment of fuller's earth and then did dusting with light gray paint.

Then I applied a dry towel wipe with silver Rub n' Buff to the armor and to the rubber soles of the boots.

Black washed the boot armor...

Then applied a little more light gray fuller's earth...and then topped it off with a quick matte seal.

The boot armor was going to adhere to the boot via hook & loop, except the toe armor, which had to be glued. Black E-6000 was applied to it.

Now completed! Here are the results...

All set for now!

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2020, 03:07 AM by mrfred » Logged
M.L.C.S. #23 / M.A.R.S #56 / New Death Watch Order #34 / M5 #078 / Grey Brigade #46
M.A.C.K. Daddy #34 / D.A.D.M #006 / M.A.D. #076 / Mando Wraps #001 / M.A. #177 / The Wrangalor Society #001

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #49 on: Aug 24, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Nice job!  :like:

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #50 on: Aug 25, 2020, 09:18 AM »
That's a great walk through about your thought process and color selection.

It's so hard to take these animated characters and bring them to real life and have all that cgi "paint" translate well.  I think you've done a stellar job of that here and I think I'm going to use this WIP as a benchmark for giving folks a "how-to" when painting TCW/Rebels characters.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

mrfred

« Reply #51 on: Sep 07, 2020, 04:04 AM »
---Thigh Holsters, Belt, Collar, Backplate

These next few armor pieces will more or less have the same process. The only difference will be how I would apply each stage of the process via different stroke techniques to get differnt effects.
All of these pieces are up to the stage of the coating of matte nickel/silver already.

These are my references:

All of these pieces will have a coating of medium gray...

...then a coating of dark gray...

Going to work on the thigh holsters...
I will try to emulate the painting and weathering pattern based on the image references...the notable areas of weathering marks are usually the places where there'd be alot of physical contact: the edges of the holsters, the angled scraping of the top holster where one would struggle to holster the blaster properly, and horizontal scrappipng toward the frontal thighs.
Light sanding on the dark gray paint coating along the edges and on the areas where there is a directional pattern, enough to just take the top layer out...

Next, I did a light gray wash to bring out the two tone differences a bit more...

Next I dry brushed the light gray mostly around the edges and the areas of the patterned strokes. With this technique, I applied the paint to a paper towel to where the paint was damp enough to dry wipe over the edge areas and stroke areas.

The next weathering steps I took would give more subtle enhancements to the pieces. I used silver Rub 'n Buff sparingly on the edges, then gave it a matte coating to seal my previous layers of weathering...then I gave a blackwash...

These last steps of weathering would give it a bit more dimension. I dusted the lower half of the holsters with Rustoleum Charcoal colored spray paint...I dusted it almost three feet away, and got the effect I wanted. Then I did carbon scoring with graphite on certain spot areas, then closed it out with another matte coating.

Here are my results...

My belt will velcro and snap on to my leather girth. The girth is currently raw and will have to be dyed. I'll need a few days lead time for it to dry after staining it.

Here I'm using a light brown leather dye. I put on 3 coats of the dye, letting each coat dry for at least 24 hours before adding the next. Each layer of dye when wet, appears dark, but lightens up when dry...so in addition, I've added a coat of olive oil to darken it a bit more.

Here are some of the key points when painting and weathering the belt...I actually did two gray washes for this...a general one and then a second coating emphasizing key areas.

Based on the references the upper half of the belt has a lighter gray tone and the bottom half has a darker tone. So I focused the blackwashing of the belt mostly on the lower half.

Then I charcoal dusted and carbon scored with graphite to the lower half also.

I lightened up the upper half with the light gray fuller's earth.

And then blended it in fairly well...

Going back to the leather girth, once the layers of darkening were dry enough, I sealed it off with a leather finish called Super Shene.

I assembled the belt and girth together and here are the final results...

The collar's weathering has alot of horizontal scrapping to it, so I'll try to emulate that in the process. Here, I first did some light sanding in the horizontal direction.

The weathering process continues with light gray dry brushing and silver rub n' buff accents.

The blackwashing was also done in horizontal strokes...

Here are the final results after the final stages of charcoal dusting and light gray fuller's earth applied...

I continued on with the backplate using the same process. Based on the references, the key weathering features happen around the top neck and shoulder areas...so that's where I focused.
Light sanding, dry brushing  and silver accents used sparingly...

And of course the blackwashing...

And of course you can't forget the carbon scoring. One technique I like to use to get the graphite to adhere, is to get the surface to have some texture or teeth to it. You can do this by lightly dusting the area with carcoal colored spray paint first. Once dry to the touch, it'll have a rough surface where the graphite can adhere.

And here are the fianl results...

All set for now.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #52 on: Sep 08, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Looking good Mr.Fred!

mrfred

« Reply #53 on: Oct 06, 2020, 02:31 AM »
---Painting and Weathering the Diamond

For this version of the DW Airborne trooper (Version A), the diamond is silver and gray. It is void of any kind of blue.
Here are screens from S05 and S07, and clearly shows no blue.

As usual from the base paint of silver, I proceeded to mask out the raised bar. The bar will remain silver and the diamond will be gray.

After the unmasking, I added silver Rub n' Buff for weathering.

Did the usual black wash, carbon scoring with graphite and then matte finish to seal the piece.

And then all set for now.

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #54 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:29 AM »
A small update, but important nonetheless!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS 65041

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #55 on: Oct 06, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Looks great :)

mrfred

« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:14 AM »
---Painting and Weathering the Chest, Ab, Shoulder and Cod Plates

For this section of my kit, I'll be jumping around these pieces, since they all, more or less, go through the same process.
I'll first start off with the signet logos on the upper right chest plate and the right shoulder armor. I was able to obtain a fairly clear image of them.
Here are my references.

The logo that'll be on the right shoulder is the exact same one for the DW Torch trooper.

I then traced out the shoulder and chest piece on tracing paper. This is for sizing and placement of the logos.

I then pulled up the logo on my computer screen and with an imaging program like Photoshop, I sized it to what would look visually appropriate to my outline of my armor and just traced from the screen accordingly.

Took me three tries until I was satisfied with the sizing, then I cut out my tracing to see how'd it look on my piece.

And I did the same process to the shoulder signet also.

So here again are the next set of pieces I'll be working on...starting from where I left off of the silver coated paint, a few months ago.

Then I gave a coat of the medium gray then on top of that the dark gray layer of coating.

The next coating of paint will be the blues. Here are my image references for these pieces.
The cod...

And the chest pieces...

The blues I'll be using today are: Rustoleum Wildflower Blue & Liquitex Cobalt Blue Hue 5

Starting out with the cod, my first layer of blue will be a coating of the Rustoleum Wildflower Blue.

Then the chest pieces...

And the the Ab plate. I didn't cover the whole piece for this one, base on the image references, the blues on this piece isn't that much.

And can't forget the shoulder pieces...

After a couple of hours of letting the Wildflower paint to cure, I used a Scotch Brite green scrubbing pad to dull down the shine of the pieces. Then I gave it a coating of the Liquitex Cobalt Blue Hue 5. I am particularly fond of this color and brand of paint. It has a ultra flat finish to it which will definitely help get that TCW feel and look to it.

After that, I started to sand the pieces down to the lower layers, based on the image references. I used a combination of #0 grit steel wool and 320 grit sand paper.

Next here, I'll go through the steps with the cod piece, but all the other pieces go the the same process...
Here I've sanded down to the areas where it's down to the dark gray and medium gray layers and spots where it's down to the metal.

I dry dabbed light gray on the areas where I want more of gradual weathering.

And then from those areas that are weathered down to the metal, I used the silver Rub n' Buff to cover them.

And of course the black wash...

And then the carbon scoring process...

And here are the final results for the cod piece.

The Ab plate...after studying the weathering from the references, there seems to be a blast mark that penetrated all the way down to the beskar metal. So I tried to depict it here.

And then subduing it a bit more with the black wash and carbon scoring...

And here is the result...

The left chest plate was a challenge to emulate from the references. I had to sand down enough real estate for that unique looking blast mark, which I patterend with the silver Rub n' Buff. Also sanding down of the layers at the lower corner of the plate.

Going through the usual process...black wash, carbon scoring...etc.

And here are the results of this plate...

And then the right chest plate. Try and guess which part of the process was down with these images...LOL

Also going through the process with the shoulder plates...shown here, the sand down to the gray layer, then light gray dry dabbing with a towel and then silver Rub n' Buff.

For the left shoulder, I added some small silver knicks and dings...(I forgot to do it for the right...will go back later for it...)

Now going back to the logos, I covered the underside of the tracing paper with pencil lead...

Positioned the logos on accordingly...and then traced again the outline the logos, which will then image transfer the image on to the armor pieces.

From there, I applied my first layer of paint on each piece. Lightest color go first in this case.

Second time tracing on the chest plate to get the black elements of the logo on there. I also masked all surrounding areas due to my clumsy way of painting.

The next color redish for the shoulder plate.

The last will be black.

And then I continued on with the weathering of the logos and the plates themselves...
Emulating from the references, there is white paint smearing on the chest logo, so I dabbed some white paint on there from a paper towel to achieve that effect.
Same principle applied to the shoulder logo, but this time, I sprayed the blue spray paint on a paper towel and then dabbed it on the designated areas of the logo.
After that, some light carbon scoring on the logos and over all on the pieces itself.

And more or less the final results of all the pieces...

All set for now...

Breyo Fey

• "An par aliit. Ner tal. Ner oyay."
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #57 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Those look great!
Nice job on the paint and weathering.
Makes me inspired to pick my DW up again...

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #58 on: Oct 13, 2020, 12:16 PM »
Very detailed! Looks good!

Mi'ix

« Reply #59 on: Oct 13, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Getting hard to tell the difference between the model and you!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS 65041

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!