Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Death Watch Airborne Version A - TCW S05 - WIP

• 72 Replies

mrfred

• a.k.a. - Lockguard Mack
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Death Watch Airborne Version A - TCW S05 - WIP
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2019, 04:21 PM »
--Gauntlets

I already knew the Gauntlets were too small for me to fit my forearms, so I set out to expand them at least by another inch or two... They initially came in two halves which you have to glue together. I glued the top ends where they were suppose to, and the bottom ends are where I will expand the diameter of the gauntlets. I used cardboard emplacements to measure out as a template before transferring that pattern on to some styrene material. I did templates for the external and internal.

Then glued them in....

I know flexing of the gauntlets will happen as I take them on and off, so reinforcements are needed...ABS cement used as well as E6000 and bondo...open and closure of the gauntlets will be a magnetic seal...

3D printed parts for the right gauntlet...

If it weren't for Kade's WIP, it probably would take me a while to figure out which pieces go where...all the main components are put together...

Components for the left and right gauntlets...

Banded the right gauntlet's components together to get a rough idea before gluing... I'm using JB Weld for gluing.

There was going to be some weak spots and stress points so I screwed those areas in...

Area under the rocket launcher...

Initial priming...

Initial fitting over the right gauntlet...

Hose attachment for this component was going to be a problem...the contact points where the hose meeting the hose port was a weak 3D printed part and would easily snap...so an underlying support of  a thick gauge wire connecting the entry port and to the inside of the hose was needed.

Preparing LED lights and plexiglass for this unit...

Wiring up and testing the gauntlet blasters...

Buttons installed and wiring laid out, and into the gauntlet itself...

Component now JB Weld into place...

Prepped and primed as a whole...

Initially the charcoal priimer turned out much darker than I had liked....but as it is just primer, I'll dust an overlay of a slightly lighter shade as part of the weathering and shading paint process later on...

The connecting inner support wiring for the hose connection continues to be a problem for me...I tried JB Weld, E6000, thermoplastic...until i finally settled for an acrylic tube to keep the support...

Finding the right outer tubing was a challenge too...after two or three attempts, I finally derived to using a latex hose.

All set for now!

Assembly of the right gauntlet was a bit easier...
Dremeled out a couple of holes from the comlink component...

JB Weld on to the right gauntlet...the red plexiglass for rectangular hole for LEDs...

Filled the gap under the comlink with green sculpting putty. The rectangular piece on the side—I had screwed and epoxy the piece on.

Prepping the left gauntlet for priming...I placed a 1/2" circular metal plate over that hole in the comlink.

Initial priming done and LED wiring installed. (You can see my wiring in the video link below.)

All set for now!

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2020, 05:32 PM by mrfred » Logged
MMCC OM# 1674 |Manda'galaar Clan
M.L.C.S. #23 / M.A.R.S #56 / New Death Watch Order #34 / M5 #078 / Grey Brigade #46
M.A.C.K. Daddy #34 / D.A.D.M #006 / M.A.D. #076 / Mando Wraps #001 / M.A. #177 / The Wrangalor Society #001
MrFred's MK I | DW Airborne Ver.A

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 150 troops 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Great job vod! Those look awesome

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Very detailed! Good work :)

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Wow.

Absolutely outstanding.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

mrfred

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2019, 01:13 AM »
Due to a wrist injury, I've been out of commission for over a month...but I've made a little bit more headway in the last couple of weeks...

---The Rocket

These are my image references...

As mentioned before, I had commissioned Cruzer to build me the TCW S5 DW rocket pack...here is his build thread again for your reference:  https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/deathwatch-jetpack-project.30359/

So pulling out his kit again after it's been in storage for about a year, I did a quick soap and water wash to clean away any remaining residue from the cast...(Cruzer's work is excellent, little to no sanding needed!) These are the parts...

Notice that I had included parts for a long rocket, which I acquire awhile ago...I plan to switch out between a short rocket and a long rocket just for the sake of novelty...

I plan on using countersunk ring neodymium magnets for the middle rocket, so that i can swap out the short to a long rocket in a matter of seconds...Taking measurements for the sizing of the rocket slot...

Measurements for the rocket...

The long rocket required some dowel screws to hold the pieces together...

Assembly of the two rockets...for the long rocket I sanded a wooden spacer so it would sit perfectly for the rocket port...magnets are glued and screwed in at the very bottom.

Another fun feature I plan on adding to this rocket pack are LED lights and a fog machine to simulate smoke...here is my working prototype...(fog machine can be activated remotely...)

All these add-ons, cause new problems to solve...the area where the rocket exhaust port sit was meant to be fitted and screwed in with one tiny hole...so I had to find a workaround to get LED lights and the fog tube to fit in there... commencing with measurements...

I always resort to magnets as a solution...

I drilled a 1/2"in hole into the exhaust port part so my bling can funnel through it...

Rocket port fitting nicely as  planned...

Next task was to fit in the LED lights...

(From the inside...) Magnets present again to hold the other magnet that's attached to the exhaust part from the outside.

And finally got the tube for the fogger to fit through...the whole process took some doing...but then again, no pain, no gain...

And as planned...use of magnets and then some epoxy to hold the exhaust port to the main rocket body will do it well...

I used some thermoplastic to hold the fog tube and LED lights together and to keep the wires in place...

Here is the final wire works for the LEDs and fog machine from the backside of the rocket opening...

And preliminary testing...it's working well!!!

Priming of the rockets...

Base primer layer for the rocket done!

Added the blue color on the main body...same color as the blue stripes on the left and right rockets...somehow it's not matching to the color reference pics...something is not right...the Rustoleum Wildflower Blue is not working out...

Even the painter's masking tape color is closer...also swapped out to the longer rocket to see how it would look...

So with the recommendation of fellow Merc, Kryamla Redalur. I went and got some Montana Gold spray paint and got a few different blues that seemed closer to the reference...

After stripping the previous color out...I went with using the Montana Gold Ultramarine and Nautilus colors...looks good now!

Masked out the blue strips and started second and third layers of weathering for the main grey body....mid-grays, dark grays, charcoal gray dusting...

A layer of light gray dry brushing and wash...and then sealed with a flat matte...

These following images are taken during the day with natural lighting...

These are taken in the evening with indoor lights...

And finally the rocket testing was successful...

Here is the video link of the rocket in action...

All set and done!

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2020, 05:33 PM by mrfred » Logged
M.L.C.S. #23 / M.A.R.S #56 / New Death Watch Order #34 / M5 #078 / Grey Brigade #46
M.A.C.K. Daddy #34 / D.A.D.M #006 / M.A.D. #076 / Mando Wraps #001 / M.A. #177 / The Wrangalor Society #001

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 150 troops 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2019, 09:07 AM »
That looks awesome! Great job vod

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Wow that looks really good! :D

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:37 AM »
I have many jetpacks, of many styles, but I have some serious JP envy right now.

I think the paint, weathering and overall styling are just perfect for this character, imo.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

mrfred

« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:52 PM »
---The Harness

It was mentioned to me from another clan-mate that their harness system digs into their backside and becomes uncomfortable after awhile. So considering the weight of the rocket pack, I set off to research for a proper and comfortable harness design, tolerable for long troops...

So I decided to go with a double layer harness system, 1.5" width bottom strapping for larger surface area for stress distribution and a standard 1" strapping for the top strapping for the hardware.
(Don't mind the different color buckles...LOL... I'm just using what I already have available at hand.)

The configuration will be a "X" harness system...I also ended up going with milspec webbing for the top strapping, since light and medium weight webbing didn't work out with my buckles very well...

Hooked up to the inside of the pack and all set!

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2020, 05:34 PM by mrfred » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Looks good! Just be sure to leave enough space on the straps with the buckles to slide through your back plate :)

I haven’t done it yet, but Kai suggested adding a bit of craft foam or thin Eva foam under the shoulder part to help it not dig in. It won’t be visible since it’ll be under the vest/flightsuit so it shouldn’t violate any CRLs :)

mrfred

« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Oh! That's brilliant!!! Why didn't I think of that? I'll be sure to try that!!! :P :P :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Let me know how it goes! I’ve been thinking of doing it for a while, but ya know, life lol

mrfred

« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2019, 06:12 PM »
---The Blasters

I will have three blasters for this kit: the two Westar pistols and the carbine. Working on these from the raw cast turned out to be much more of a pain in the behind than I anticipated—so one would have to wonder why I didn't just flat out purchased them finished and ready to go, from the get-go...but be as it may, "this is the way," I took... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

These are my image references:

Here are the raw cast blasters...I decided to use acrylic tubes for the barrels, which will house the LEDs. Yaasss! These will light up!

Testing the tube with a blue LED setup.

Installed the tubing/barrel into the carbine and wired it to the pistol grip, where it will house the 9 volt battery. This carbine was cast fairly well...very light and hollow throughout the interior...but unfortunately because it was hallow, I accidentally dropped this on the floor and the tail end shattered into several pieces...thus the tape...
:( :( :(

The shattering of the tail end of the carbine turned out to be a blessing in disguise...it allowed me to have easier access and installation of the barrel and wiring for the electronics, including a tact switch for the trigger area...I epoxy the damaged area...will also bondo and sand later.
I also added two magnets to the pistol grip cover. One will magnetize to the battery and the other will magnetize to another magnet inside the grip.

Testing of the LED in the blaster...so far so good...
You can see the LED bleeding through the thinner parts of the the cast...I imagine that painting over will solve that.
Drilling a muzzle hole for the barrel didn't turned out too well...So I had to put on a replacement muzzle opening to hold the barrel in place.

The pistols proved to be the most difficult...they seemed solid on the outside but inconsistent bricks in the interior....there was more resin in certain parts and a lot less in other parts....drilling through the muzzle for the barrel insertion and electronic works was a nightmare...I knew I was not going to get the full size of the barrel into the pistols, so I went with 1/3 length of the barrel to hold the LEDs and wired the remaining distance into the body without anymore of the acrylic tube...

Finally got the pistols wired through, triggered, battery and magnetized. After that, I bondo and sanded all the rough areas and damages for a smoother surface.

First layer primed with a metallic aluminum primer...

Second layer coated with a light gray primer. I did the coating in 2-3 light layers, so some of the metallic aluminum can still show through, giving the effect of various shades of the lighter part of these two-tone colored styled blasters.

Masking for the darker tone color of the blasters...

Third layer coated with the darker tone of the blasters....the carbine has a different 2-tone from the pistols, as referenced from the screenshots...I used Krylon Deep Gray color for the carbine, and used Model Master Gunmetal for the pistols... Yes, I know, not good practice to mix paint brands, but I used the matte finish to seal my Rustoleum layers from the other brands.

Masking off, another matte seal, then lightly weathered with silver Rub'n Buff and added carbon scorching using copier toner or charcoal and then one more final matte seal to hold the weathering...

Final testing of the blaster LEDs...

And all set!

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2020, 05:34 PM by mrfred » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Those look great! Excellent job :)

mrfred

« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:01 PM »
---The Vest

I had ordered a vest through a vendor on Etsy...but when I received it, it came out a bit big...maybe I gave inaccurate measurements...

Placement of the armor shows it...

So I set off to make alterations myself...first time doing it, so it was a long time consuming process...
Took the vest apart...now in pieces...

Made marks on where I'll be trimming...

A little bit more better fitting...took some estate away from the top of the shoulders, sides from the backside, trimmed the bottom of the vest and reduced the size of the shoulder flaps...

Did a general placement of the armor on the vest to check if I was on the right track...seems on track...

---Backplate Fitting
I had planned on cutting angled holes to the backplate to feed the strapping from the rock to the plate and through the vest...but after alot of analyzing and consultation from fellow merc, Kry, I went for the horizontal holes.

Along with this rocket to backplate interface, I had to modify my harness strapping a little bit...still with an "X" harness design, but updated it so the quick release buckles would be located inside my vest instead of inside the rocket...

Trimming of the backplate didn't include a return edge of the shoulder area, so like I'm supposed to, I added a couple of strips to them via CA glue then reinforcement with thermoplastic... also reinforced the strap slots with more ABS strips.

More additions to the backplate...I added some EVA foam then hook velcro to the top left and right shoulder areas to fill in the empty space in the shoulder area when it sits on my vest; created and added an ABS strip to cover up the strapping slots in case I troop without a rocket pack, and velcro around that area to hold it in place when it's covering the slot holes and when it's not.

Outside where it's covering the slot holes...

Inside where it's covering the slot holes...

I also glued in a couple of magnets to the left and right bottom corner of the backplate...why???

So the backplate will magnetize to the rocket once I glue these magnets inside of the rocket. This will hopefully keep the backplate and rocket relatively in the correct position and avoid the rocket from swinging out of position.

When interfacing the backplate to the vest, the first set of holes (far left and far right), were made by the etsy vendor...those positions crimped up the vest big time once the strapping went through and interfaced with my harness... so I created another set of holes(bottom two holes), was a little bit better, less crimping of my vest...but was still noticeable... finally third time's the charm, the middle two holes were on target! What a mess of the vest! At least the slots won't be seen...

Added some sew-on magnets to the bottom inside of the vest...why??

So the vest will magnetize to the bottom left and right corners of the backplate where I glued a couple more magnets. This will hopefully keep the bottom corners of the backplate and vest in the correct position and avoid the backplate from lifting out of position from the vest too much.
I also added some EVA foam to the bottom corners of the plate, as I believe them to be stress points also.
In addition, I added a big piece of hook velcro to the middle of the plate...why???

So the vest can securely adhere to the backplate and keep it's position where I want it! LOL
Big piece of navy blue loop velcro at the middle of the back of the vest along with the velcro for the shoulder area.

Quick overview placement of all four items: Rocket, backplate, harness and vest...

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2020, 05:35 PM by mrfred » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!