Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kyr'am Ca WIP thread. ***update***

• 10 Replies
Kyr'am Ca WIP thread. ***update***
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Hey all. 

I've been around for a few years but have been taking things REALLY slow.  I am a member of the 501st (Tie Pilot: ANH).  I have been involved with the local Mercs (love Vhett Manda - I am in central Iowa) almost since day one but have had to take things insanely slow.  To put it simply, my wife isn't into any of this and is an accountant so it takes a while to get things bought.

Now on to the armor concepts and what work I have gotten done.  My over all concept is an urban gunslinger.  He hunts at night in major cities making sure of the dark colors when needed to approach unseen.  This is the driving force behind the colors that I am using (blues, greys, blacks).  The overall concept hasn't changed much but a lot of the specifics have (from sniper to gunslinger).

Character Name:  Kyr'am Ca
Translation:  Death Night

The name comes from a basis of a name I have used in several video games (Thannox).  Thannox translates in Greek loosely to Death Night.  This comes from Thanatos (greek word for Death) and Nox (greek for Night/Void). 

This thread is likely to be fairly pic heavy. 

Here is my my color concept that I came up with originally.

With this armor I have been trying to try to use what I have at home or can find fairly inexpensively.  I have an old pair of motorcycle boots that I have considered using.  I know that logos have to be covered or removed.  These are just a start.  I have had a few other ideas including using the half chaps that others use. 

***update***

Due to some personal reasons this project got shelved several years ago and will not be finished.  I am instead goiing to be building a realistic Deathwatch kit.  I have started to process on that and will post pictures eventually.  This is going to be a slow project.

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2024, 10:53 AM by TieEagle » Logged
Stephen Townsend "Kyr'am Ca"
501st Member (Captain Rex: Phase 2 Realistic, Tie Pilot: ANH)

Live Action Deathwatch:  WIP
WIP Thread

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Kyr'am Ca WIP thread.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:05 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.
--

Official duties out of the way, you do have an excellent concept going. I look forward to seeing this come to life.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2019, 12:09 PM by Fenris Claddanna » Logged
Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Sorry about that I was trying to break things up.

Anyways:

I played SWTOR for a long time and when I came across this blaster I just couldn't pass it up.  Nice thing is that it is actually large enough for me to not seem like a little pencil.

It took me quite a while but this blaster has finally been finished. 

Started with some filler primer and a lot of sanding.

Then two coats of black primer:

Followed by a light grey primer:

Then a base coat of Chrome:

Finaly some flat black top coat and a bunch of detailing:

And finally I took some sand paper to it and weathered the crap out of it.

Pictures just don't to it justice.

UPDATE:

I have spent quite a bit of time looking at buckets and while I thought I had come to a final decision, this last weekend I basically stumbled upon one that I had figured I would never see.  Almost everyone around me just has a standard Boba style bucket.  I wanted something different.  This last weekend a friend was in town at a con and brought a bucket that her friend had for sale.  An NME Stalker.  I have wanted to try one on and hadn't been lucky enough to find out.  Well I tried it on and that was the end of the discussion.

Then I spent the next few days working on coloring and basic armor design.

Charcoal Grey Flight Suit, lighter grey flak vest

I think after weathering the brightness will definitely come down.

I then went in and did some closer sketching and color rendering and this is what I think the final helmet is going to look like:

Now that the armor is figured out its time to work on finding the duster.  I do my own leather work, so that is covered (I have done some for our local OMs).  Guess its time to get plates cut and start shaping.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2019, 12:58 PM by TieEagle » Logged

WIP Thread

Ruug'la Tal

• Silence is the roar of strength...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I like the blue, we need a blue Mando. You got your bucket, and design looks good. Keep making progress.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Well after a few more days a few things have changed.  It looks like I am going to be gifted a flight suit from a local member (or soon to be anyways).  This actually helped solve a few design issues that I was stuck on.  This flight suit is dark blue rather than the grey I was originally considering.  However going this route allowed me to adjust the color scheme a bit.  I was originally considering trauma plates but wasn't sure it was quite right for my character.  And anyone who really knows me, knows my penchant for black and blue.  With the new flight suit I can go with a black vest and adjust the coloring a bit.  I am posting all 3 new concepts.  The second two concepts only have a change of a color fade.  This allows me to bring in a few things that have more personal meaning to me (the "fangs" are part of my tattoo that I designed).

Concept #2

Concept #3

Concept #4

I feel that these new concept really fit my style better (esp #2 and #3).  Also goes back closer to my very first ideas that I did on mando maker.  Now to continue the quest to find a coat or enough leather to make my duster while its cold as crap up here.  Hopefully plate cutting and helmet painting coming soon.

--------------------------------

Update (12/16/2019)

First off final decision was made to go with concept #3.  Though I still have to work on some of the design details on the collar and shoulder paint design.

Second, WE HAVE PAINT.

Started working on getting color on my bucket. 

First we got a final coat of black primer down.

Then we got the base undercoat down.  Full on Chrome.

This is going to sit for a few days and then I'll start working on some of the weathering.  Going to try to toothpaste and possibly a few other ideas too.  I don't want to go too overboard with the weathering down to the chrome.  Most of my weathering is likely to be on the top using black washes and wuch to get a dirt and grime weathered look.

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2019, 08:34 AM by TieEagle » Logged

WIP Thread
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Its been a while since I had a big update, here goes.

I got a coat ordered to make my duster from.  Black leather.  Its going to be great when its done.

I found the blaster that I want to use for my 2 matched main guns.  This has been 3D printed and I have started working on the first one.

Then because of some unseasonably warm weather for Christmas. I got the next color on my bucket.  This layer is one of the layers that will be masked off for the final.  I used Citadel Lead Belcher.  Man this over chrome looks awesome.  I also got some weathering started.  I am starting out using toothpaste.

initial weathering

2 layers of paint

Final coat of lead belcher:

I'm' really loving the way this is coming out.  Next up is some masking and more weathering.  Then I have to apply the bright blue.  However, first I have to find the right color.

WIP Thread
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Well my helmet is done.  This thing came out amazing.  Lots of accidental weathering that made it even better.  With a few changes to the original paint scheme it looks even better.  Here goes all of the pics:

Previously I posted pics of the helmet with the base coat (Testors Chrome) and 1 layer on it (Citadel Lead Belcher).  Here are the next stages:

Painting the bright blue (Tamiya Brilliant Blue):

Painting the Black (testors Flat Black):

Second blue (Citadel Macragge Blue):

Tape and toothpaste weathering removed:

Now went in and added a brown and black wash to the helmet:

Next:

I finally got my ear caps and got them painted:

Painted with the Chrome base just as the rest of the helmet:

I didn't get pictures of the next stages on the ear caps.  I added a layer of the Lead belcher and toothpaste for weathering and then finished them off with a layer of Citadel Chaos black (I ran out of the testors flat black).  Man I love the color on Chaos Black.

Then it was time to work on the T-Visor, and get it installed.  All that was left after it was to weather the ear caps.  Man this thing came out better than I could have planned.  I just hope I can keep the same going for all of the plates.

I was able to get a dark Blue flight suit and it fits great.  Obviously I haven't done anything with it yet but soon.

I know that was a big update.  There will be more in the coming weeks I hope.  Probably won't be a lot of painting.  Darn winter has finally set in.

WIP Thread

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Nice job!  Looking forward to seeing more.

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Ruug'la Tal

• Silence is the roar of strength...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 06:12 PM »
Your helmet is great. Tailor that flightsuit in, have to reduce the bagginess in the legs and arms. Have you started on your vest yet? Looking forward to some spring time progress.

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2020, 01:12 PM »
Great job on the helmet TieEagle! Love it!

As Ruug'la Tal said and well said (cheers vod!), the flightsuit needs to be a bit tailored. Keep the awesome work brother!

Have a nice weekend,
AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52
Re: Kyr'am Ca WIP thread. ***update***
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2024, 10:54 AM »
***Update in first post.***
I have moved from my original designs and have moved on to now working on a realistic deathwatch from the mandalorian show.

WIP Thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!