Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

2nd Kit - Beviin Shrike - Zabrak

• 100 Replies

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
Re: 2nd Kit - Beviin Shrike - Zabrak
« Reply #75 on: Mar 21, 2022, 11:50 PM »
Haven't had a ton of time lately but I finished the girth belt and kama!

Weathering with acrylic paint and a woodburner!

List update cause I love my lists-

Helmet: Being printed by Atin!

Flak vest: Mount the shoulder bells and add material to the front and back bottom hem.

Plates: Add loop and hooks for extra security.

Gauntlets: Paint touch up, a little bit of velcro, and some LEDs.

Flight suit: Done!

Thigh bags: Finish the straps, give the leather bit some shape, weather.

Girth belt: Done!

Utility belt: Holsters for the WESTARs and flashlight vibro.

Kama: Done!

Boots: Done!

Gloves: Done!

Weapons: Make bandolier for verpine and kal knives. Verpine just has detail work and the magazines left. Kal knives need just a little bubble filling and painting.
Twin WESTARs being printed. Need holsters for them and the flashlight vibro, which just needs a couple greebs.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #76 on: Mar 22, 2022, 04:24 AM »
In love with that weathering! Awesome

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

trashcanmando

« Reply #77 on: Mar 25, 2022, 09:45 PM »
Thank you  ;D

Trying to get the flak vest done now. I added some ribbing to the shoulders inspired by Boba, and I'm wanting to add a short sleeve as well.

I do like how it looks a lot, but it might get complicated with mounting the plates. Honestly, I'm considering forgoing the plates if I can't figure out how to mount them nicely, because I'm really, really happy with the look! The idea was that I wanted to break up the bicep area, and this is the same material I used to line my kama, so I also get to repeat that element.

First two pictures are the initial test. The sleeves were slightly too narrow, making the flight suit sleeve bunch up, and causing some awkward bunching under the arm as well. I added a strip to under the sleeve, which fixed the bunching problems nicely, and I think if I use these, I'll sew them to the flight suit instead of the vest, for ease of putting the thing on and taking it off, and because this is a side opening vest, I can't sew the bottom of the sleeve to the vest itself.

But! I'm not quite sure how this falls with CRLs. It's meant to look like part of the flak vest, but is actually going to be a double sleeved flight suit, and I know the rules about double sleeved flight suits just changed.

Also, do you guys think it might look too busy? I'm all about that textured fabric but I know there's such a thing as overdoing it.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #78 on: Mar 25, 2022, 10:40 PM »
According to the CRLs, the longer sleeves can be a contrasting color, but the short sleeves must match the main body of the flight suit.

trashcanmando

« Reply #79 on: Mar 26, 2022, 05:46 AM »
Like I alluded to, there have been some updates to CRLs that my Ruus let me know about and this is no longer the case.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #80 on: Mar 26, 2022, 11:27 AM »
Like I alluded to, there have been some updates to CRLs that my Ruus let me know about and this is no longer the case.

I’m just going by what I’m reading on the site; and, if that’s true, it hasn’t been updated on the CRLs web page yet.

trashcanmando

« Reply #81 on: Apr 03, 2022, 03:31 PM »
Well, fingers crossed how I have it goes through. Guess there was some confusion about how soon the update would be public. If the sleeves don't end up being approvable, it isn't a huge deal for me to remove them.

I think I'm done with the flak vest! All plates are finally attached, complete with loops and hooks on all plates except the chest and the top back plate. Lengthened the front and back of the vest so it can tuck into my girth belt and to fix the crooked front seam.

If anyone has tutorials for wiring LEDs, I'm probably going to be finishing the gauntlets next. They just need a little touch up and the lights.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #82 on: Apr 03, 2022, 08:52 PM »
Looking good! I gotta say, I love the True Mandalorians symbol on your flight suit. There's something special about hidden details that make you look like you're still in kit while partially suited up.

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

trashcanmando

« Reply #83 on: Apr 05, 2022, 07:45 PM »
Thank you!  ;D It's one of my favorite details too!

Bit of a facepalm this time. But also some progress!

I finished the kal knives and made a bandolier! There's a con this weekend and I really wanted to be able to show off the knives.

Facepalm incoming... I sewed in the double sleeves about 3 inches too far down, and yes... the bicep plate is actually attached! So I'm ripping off the double sleeves before con and then I'll move them higher and the bicep plate more forward.

But the bandolier turned out great, I think! I'll be dying it a dark brown as well. There's two magnets on the back I hope to use to attach weapons (as well as some sort of clasp? still figuring that out) and pleasant news: my ancient beast of a sewing machine goes through sued leather no problem! I also have enough leather now for the flak vest for my third kit...  ???

Oya  ;D

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #84 on: Apr 06, 2022, 02:09 PM »
Bandolier and knives look awesome... rip to your sleeves  :-X

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

trashcanmando

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2022, 07:40 PM »
Good grief, this update is overdue.

Had an armor party, went to Rod Con, went to a very small July 4th event, and went to Des Moines Con!

Helmet first:

Fill, sand, primer, fill, you know the drill... Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I still don't love finishing prints. Too bad, cause I have a whole pile waiting lol

First layer of silver, yes I did do a little more filling and sanding and priming and then did a second layer of silver. Just forget to get pictures of that.

Toothpaste masking and first layer of greens and brown!

Salt it like you're trying to salt cure a ham.

Color comparison. The difference is actually due to blackwash, I did pretty much have the color mix right even though the backplate looks extremely brown. Went on to a second layer of green and brown with salt and hairspray.

Those detail shots though..  ;D

Accent color (with yet more salt)

Pre and post blackwash! It turned out just a bit darker than I really meant, but the color looks right in pictures, and its not off enough to make me repaint it. Just was a little more heavy-handed with the blackwash than I should have been.

The pads and visor in the helmet are currently just hot glued in. I will be fiberglassing the inside, installing a green reflective visor with light if I can find a good active vendor, and better pads. But she was wearable for May 4th and DSMC!

Man, DSMC was incredible. This is actually the biggest group of kitted up mandos I've ever gotten to troop with, and it was so awesome! As you can see, I did fix the sleeve issue, lol.

Query is in with the app team about my short sleeves and to confirm my plate spacing is good to go. Going to be trying to knock a few more things off my list before June 4th, when I'm going to Joliet Illinois to meet the mandos there! Super excited! If I'm really lucky, maybe just maybe I can be at pre-app by then... But probably not.

New list:

Helmet: Finish clear coat and interior. Technically wearable, could app as is.

Flak vest: Sew in magnets after I have confirmation my spacing is good.

Plates: Done!

Gauntlets: Add LEDs. Technically ready for app.

Flight suit: Done!

Thigh bags: Finish the straps, give the leather bit some shape, weather.

Girth belt: Done!

Utility belt: Holsters for the WESTARs and flashlight vibro. See if I can mount the verpine.

Kama: Done!

Boots: Finish stripping off the reflective edging, decided I didn't want that.

Gloves: Done!

Weapons: Finish up verpine- need to reinstall barrel and add greebs and make it some magazines. Need to clean my two WESTAR prints. Finish up flashlight vibro. Kal daggers with bandolier finished.

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2022, 09:38 PM »
I saw your profile picture changed when you commented on my build.  Your 2nd kit is coming along great!

Cabur Akaata #243
Grey Brigade "Over 40 Crowd" #24
Legacy Kit WIP|Post Imp WIP|Riduur WIP

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2022, 10:43 PM »
Wow it all looks awesome! Love the helmet and weathering.

trashcanmando

« Reply #88 on: Dec 05, 2022, 08:24 PM »

Happy Holidays, everybody!

So uh... slides back in here like I totally didn't go AWOL for 6 months again

Got to go to Joliet in June! Biggest gathering of costumers I've ever been at and wow was that mind blowing! I had the best time.

Took a round of app pics at Joliet, ended up changing stuff before doing anything with them, went to C2E2!

It was epic. So excited to be going again this year in March!

Took my new round of app pics there (thank you Atin  :D )

Haven't submitted yet because I still don't have any weapons  :-X Yeah, I know, I know... the verpine barrel broke off and I haven't figured out exactly how I want to fix it yet... Weapons building is just one aspect I have to really force myself to get excited about, it doesn't come easily for me.

After wearing it to a couple cons I do have a fix list:

Should have reinforced the knees in the first place. Seems really obvious now. But of course the hooks are ripping right out of the fabric, so I need to go in and add some padding.

The second set of bicep plates just... do not want to stay seated correctly! Going to add some kind of pin or snap to the shoulder plates.

Otherwise this kit troops really well! The one thing I would do differently is a two piece flight suit. Why did I do coveralls again??  ???

The green reflective visor and the light bar are in:

And all the magnets have been sewn in! It sucked to do but I'm so happy with it.

Other big news- I get to go to Galaxy's Edge in March! Obviously I need a Batuu outfit. While not part of my official kit, I do consider the wardrobe I'm creating for the trip part of this character, I'm using the same colors and general theme.

Hoping to actually submit for approval soon, just gotta make myself push through on weapons.

Oya Mandalore!

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #89 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:06 AM »
First off that holiday sweater is epic!! Love it! Second, your kit is looking awesome!! Great job! Have a great time at batuu!! If this is your first time going there your going to love! The Disney play app has a free datapad that's super fun. You can do missions and open supplie crates. If you have a magic band+ you can join the bounty hunters guild. Your vest for Galaxy's edge if amazing!!

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2022, 10:12 AM by Cattriss Wren » Logged
my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

trashcanmando

« Reply #90 on: Dec 06, 2022, 11:42 AM »
Oooh, awesome, thank you! I'll definitely check out the datapad and magic band. Unfortunately it's only for one day, but I never thought I'd get to go at all, so I'm still thrilled!

trashcanmando

« Reply #91 on: Dec 06, 2022, 09:30 PM »
Knees are fixed!

The original hook and the rip. Not nearly strong enough to support a plate coming off and moving.

Cut a piece of my stiffest two sided interfacing and of the quilted fabric I used for my flak vest.

Sewed it together, ironed it on the inside of the leg, and stitched it to the pants.

The attachment system I had before- hook on the flight suit and loop on the plate. Not only did this not distribute the weight well on the fabric at all, getting the hook into the loop on the knee plate was ridiculously difficult.

New method! Paracord length in the actual pants, sewn into the interfacing to make it much stronger and distribute the weight more, and the hook now stays in the plate.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #92 on: Dec 07, 2022, 01:50 PM »
Wow, I love your galaxy's edge vest! That's so awesome, I've been thinking of making one for my mando as well.
Knees look good, glad you fixed them! They can be so annoying.

trashcanmando

« Reply #93 on: Dec 29, 2022, 08:40 PM »
Wow, I love your galaxy's edge vest! That's so awesome, I've been thinking of making one for my mando as well.
Knees look good, glad you fixed them! They can be so annoying.

Thanks! You definitely should make a vest, they're awesome.  ;D

Finally. Finally. Through some miracle. I have gotten most of the way through some blasters.

These are b-grade resin casts from Fi-8015! They're really nice, I had a set of 3D printed westars, but 3d printed weapons just feel too light to me (and I also looooathee sanding). Beautiful casts even with the b-grade issues. He printed me off a nozzle for the one that was missing it too!

Here they are right out of the box, I didn't really take details shots of the stuff I had to fix, but you can see that the one on the left had obvious missing bits. The one on the right just had a few bubbles to fill in.

Post some of the major sanding, filing down the flash lines and preparing the bubbles to be filled. Instead of worrying about filling in the missing part of the grip, I just filed it down to a nice round edge.

Nozzles (where the worst of the bubbles were) all filled and fixed! Used a bit of uv resin to patch them up and sanded back down. Just used super glue to stick on all the extra bits.

Went ahead and cut off the mismatched part of the grip on the other one too, to match. I like the smaller grip better! At this point they were fully assembled and ready to paint.

Black primer and the first pass of silver finished! It was in the 60s today, miraculously, but this was all I could get done before it was too dark. Hopefully the weather holds just a little bit longer so I can do a second coat of silver.

I think I'm going to go for dry brushing different metallic shades over the silver, and add leather to the grips. I really love these so far!

trashcanmando

« Reply #94 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:51 PM »
Done!

Acrylic paint was not the optimal choice  :laugh: But I'm very pleased for this somehow being the first time I've actually finished a blaster!

Now I can finally apply! Took me long enough, lol. Stay tuned for kit number 3, because I've lost any sanity I had.  :P

App pics again:

Here's hoping the kama being an just that little bit off center isn't enough to knock me back. The only thing I've changed since taking these pics is upgrading the knee attachment.

I know the app team is still on vacation, but fingers crossed!

trashcanmando

« Reply #95 on: Jan 14, 2023, 06:26 PM »
Fix list is in!  ;D

Overall not bad! The biggest thing to change is adding pouches or holsters, which is my bad for not realizing they are in fact required. I was going to make holsters for the westars anyways, so no problem.

I am somewhat confused about the 'logo on the back of the boots' item. My boots currently look like this:

I'll admit that you can definitely tell where I covered the logo, but I thought it was covered quite well. I suppose I can cut a piece of black leather and glue it over. If I'm going to do that, may as well also do it on the front where I covered another logo in the same way.

Did a bit more shaping on the cod plate since it seemed like the easiest item to knock out!

Before:

After:

The paint job is unharmed!

(Didn't bend it any more the other way)

Also ordered some new gloves. There's just no way I can get the cuff of my current gloves under the edge of the gauntlets.

Visor will be easy as well, it's hot glue mounted so I can just pop it out and adjust it.

Edit: Visor fixed!

Before:

Step 1: Rip out visor.
Step 2: Reinstall visor, carefully making sure the edge is aligned with the bottom of the helmet.
Step 3: Go to take the after picture and realize somehow the visor has shifted back to exactly where it was before.
Step 4: Die inside a little.
Step 5: Rip out visor again.
Step 6: Reinstall and make sure the hot glue holding the edge of the visor has hardened before installing the upper part.

After!

'Oh man I can barely see what I'm doing in here- HANG ON IT'S GOT A LIGHT!'

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2023, 06:58 PM by trashcanmando » Logged
« Reply #96 on: Jan 14, 2023, 07:36 PM »
Making fantastic progress on your fix list! Keep up the great work!

OM#2860

trashcanmando

« Reply #97 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:20 PM »
Thanks vod  ;D

Just finished getting everything knocked out today!

Holsters:

(Belt buckle was missing because I was painting it, lol.)

Weathered:

Gloves arrived!

I always find it so difficult to weather black well but not too much...

Belt buckle got a metallic coat and a blackwash:

The parachute buckles on my flak vest and thigh bags are remaining black, but I did scuff them up and blackwash them when I did the weathering for those items.

Boot logos are covered and I did some washes of red and gray to weather them in:

And the flak vest got a bit more weathering, along with the upper sleeves of the flight suit.

Fought through a cold to get this done but there's a couple upcoming troops I would really like to be in kit for! My roommate has promised we can take app pics tomorrow  ;D

trashcanmando

« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2023, 05:55 PM »
This kit is now APPROVED!!

Here are my final app pics:

Sorry they're in the bathroom, it was dark and rainy and that was the best lighting I could get  :laugh:

Just got my letter about an hour ago, went and got boba (fett) tea to celebrate!

Photoshoot images incoming, as well as... the link to my third kit WIP...  :rolleyes: :P Look, at least I made myself get this one approved before starting a WIP for the third!  ;D

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #99 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:16 PM »
Congrats on approval Vod!

Would you mind if Ed team harvested some of your build photos to assist in creating some alternate training materials?

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!