Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Accepted Visor Materials?

• 8 Replies

Almeli Robrem

• "You should see my spreadsheets."
Accepted Visor Materials?
« on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Is there a list anywhere of accepted materials for visors?  I was only able to find the criteria of "dark enough to obscure the wearer's face".  That leaves a lot of room for interpretation on material used for it.  I'm trying to use mostly materials I have, so I want to verify if anything other than cut-down plastic visors are accepted so long as you can see, cannot BE seen, and can breathe.

"I love lists like I love coffee-they're both essential to life." -Me, all the time.

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Accepted Visor Materials?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Most people use ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VECKRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cgP3Db0XZBYVY

Or use car window tint on a clear visor.  I used a photo gel and mirrored window tint to make my new visors

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2019, 11:23 AM »
My first helmet i used a clear cutting visor, with a black speaker mesh in behind it. Decent visibility, but it puckered after a while. The visors with window tinting is probably the best option, but you can also use polyester dyes to darken clear plastics too.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:11 PM »
"Dark enough" is the only firm requirement.  Dark and sturdy is also a darn good idea. :)

Almeli Robrem

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:13 AM »
"Dark enough" is the only firm requirement.  Dark and sturdy is also a darn good idea. :)

Thank you, everyone!  I went through my stash and most of the visor materials I have are too scratched up to use.  I was debating using some black window screening, but it would need to have too many layers to obscure my face.  I'll keep an eye out for old motorcycle and paintball helmets while thrifting, usually the visors on those are in decent shape, already curved, and the helmets can be repurposed for other cosplays.

"I love lists like I love coffee-they're both essential to life." -Me, all the time.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 01:56 PM »
You'd be better off going to a hardware store and getting a tinted or clear welding visor. They're made of lexan, so you can cut them and bend them to shape really easily.

OR, you could hit up one of the vendors here that do tinted visors.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 02:04 PM by Ori Dart » Logged
Oya!

Andry         ; )

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:24 AM »
I've gotten my visors at the local Airgas, just picked up one of their replacement welding visors. Runs about $15 if I remember correctly. Very similar to the link from Wolfin but they come partially curved. Shade 5 is the reccomended tint on welding visors if you just want black. I got a clear one and used window tint for my current mirrored visor.

Almeli Robrem

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:27 AM »
You'd be better off going to a hardware store and getting a tinted or clear welding visor. They're made of lexan, so you can cut them and bend them to shape really easily.

OR, you could hit up one of the vendors here that do tinted visors.

Thank you!  I found Kalevala Visors there and I will definitely be budgeting to get one of theirs.  They have a color that goes perfectly with my concept!

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=147710.msg1843240#msg1843240

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:31 PM »
I have had good success with the thin poly, found in poster frames, tinted with limo tint from Autozone. Can make several visors with these.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!