Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kurshi's Protector WIP

• 81 Replies

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
Kurshi's Protector WIP
« on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Alright. So I've been tossing the idea around for about a year to do either a True Mandalorian or a Protector. Aaaaand now here we go.

I’ll be trying to keep this as cost effective as possible. Since I’ve got two 3’x4’ sheets of 6mm sintra, I’ll be making a brand new set of plates from one. I’ll be keeping to a light armor configuration for this build.

I plan on starting with soft parts first before getting my plate templates cut out. Which brings me to my first big question.

I’m thinking my current flight suit will be too dark of a gray to use for this build. I’ll provide a picture for reference. If it is too dark, I’d like to see if I could do white scrubs, dyed to mimic Boba’s color. I know that this build requires double-sleeves. I was thinking that if I got both a long and short sleeve scrub top, the extra material could make the thigh pouches and shin tool pockets. I am also open to a regular one piece coverall. I’ll be looking at lots of picture references to figure out my final color schemes. Flight suit color is subject to change at this point.

For the gloves and boots, can leather be used? I’m wondering if I can use any of my current parts on this build.

My boots:

Here’s my current flight suit color:

Another big question I'll have is paint color suggestions. I plan on using rattle cans because I don't have airbrush access. I've used predominantly krylon for Kurshi, but will be happy to try other brands.

I'll be asking a LOT of questions during this project and I'm open to whatever advice you guys might have!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: Kurshi's Protector WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Even started a thread I see! The idea is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal  :like: lol Welcome to the fun man! Flight suit wise, yeah I believe you will need to do a lighter version - if you wanted to keep the blue, I would suggest going more for the faded denim blue of the PrePro Fett flight suit. As for the game plan with the scrubs, that is a really clever idea.

Gloves and boots can be leather - unfortunately my laptop at work blocks all pictures unless shared from DeviantArt so I can't  give a direct recoomendation for your current boots but from what I remember when seeing them in person, I believe you should be good to go there.

Rattle can wise I only use Rustoleum personally but I know that Krylon generally seems to have a wider variety of greens (at least around my area).

Overall paint scheme wise, the True Mandalorians and Mandaloran Protectors are nearly identical with the difference being the chest logos of ( ), [ ], and < > coupled with the different shoulder insignia. Outside of that, feel free to pull some inspiration from their overall color schemes. No protector has gone the green armor with blue accents yet on the helmet and armor yet. Going that route would be more unique for your build while also maintaining the proper colors and allow you to use some current stuff you have.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I told you that I was serious haha!

It's funny, because I really was debating on doing the green with light blue face for this one. I like the red and yellow secondary color, but I was thinking of spicing things up a bit and do something a touch different. As with color schemes for my first kit, I do need some help with color/brand selections. Being colorblind makes colors look completely weird. I easily mix up gray and the green colors we need. They look Really similar to my color deficient eyes.  :laugh:

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2019, 11:53 PM »
Word. Now that I can see your photos, to go for protector status your boots I believe may fly if you added shin wraps like the 1313 version of Fett as along as you added toe spikes to them. Leaving them as is, I believe that they would look too different from Fetts standard boots in order to meet the CRLs. Also as I suggested to Jaster, belt pouch wise I would also suggest removing the external strapping to your belt pouches to break up the profile a bit more and make them look distinctly different then the actual mauser (?) Ammo pouches that they are and be more similar in appearance to Fetts.

Also we can continue the color choices talk over on Instagram  ;) :laugh:

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:25 AM »
Update time!

I plan on starting with soft parts first before getting my plate templates cut out though. I did my templates and cutting before I had a vest on my first build and thought I'd do it differently this time around.

Flight Suit
I might have lined up a new flightsuit with thigh pockets, double sleeves, and hip pouches for a great deal. It's a much lighter gray, so if I manage to pick that up, I'll be set! I'll know more later this month and update with pictures when I can.

Vest
I'll probably commission K'raam for a vest since I have some seriously sub par sewing skills. I'll see what my gray options are from him and if I need to buy a white one and dye it, I can do that.

Girth Belt
I'll probably do a homemade girth belt for this one too unless I stumble across a great deal. I might be able to pick one up from the flightsuit guy.

Boots
probably some sort of gray suede Chelsea boots.

Spats
I'll get those from the Trading station

Gloves
I think I can make some appropriate gloves with a little bit of brainstorming. Otherwise, ManofWar sells them if I need to order a pair.

Cape
I'll definitely do a half cape. I currently have a linen cape, I love how light it is, but I might go something a bit heavier for this one. Maybe a little ESB stripe in there for fun.

Pouches
If I get the flight suit, It has hip pouches with it. For my belt pouches, I was thinking something along these lines:

As far as color scheme goes, it doesn't hurt to think ahead.

Primary
I've been trying to find some shade of green for my primary color. I spent some time on TDH and TheRPF and found some good leads on rattle can colors. I don't have airbrush access, so I'm limited on what I can do. I think Rustoleum makes a few nice greens: Satin Moss Green, Spruce Green and a Dark Hunter Green. I also came across a humbrol dark green 30 in an acrylic spray option. If anyone has any suggestions on those, I'm all ears!

Secondary
I'm still debating. Fenn was trying to get me to go for a yellow tone and it's not a bad idea, but I was there's a Rustoleum Satin Claret Wine that may work. This all may change if I find a yellow that I like.

No concrete updates, but I've been busy trying to source everything before I get too far ahead of myself.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:13 AM »
I got a mock up of some colors. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.  :)

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2019, 11:05 AM »
I got a mock up of some colors. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.  :)

Nice dude! I am digging the mock up. My only 2 cents as to color scheme would be to make the ear caps that summer squash yellow as well. Outside of that.... Money  :like:

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2019, 11:23 AM »
Nice dude! I am digging the mock up. My only 2 cents as to color scheme would be to make the ear caps that summer squash yellow as well. Outside of that.... Money  :like:

It’s funny that you suggested that. I originally had it mocked up that way, but changed it just before I posted it. I might have to change it back!

It was suggested to maybe keep the gauntlets all one color, so I’ll go with the red for that.

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2019, 12:09 PM »
It’s funny that you suggested that. I originally had it mocked up that way, but changed it just before I posted it. I might have to change it back!

It was suggested to maybe keep the gauntlets all one color, so I’ll go with the red for that.

I like the two for one special with the double colored gauntlets. I would suggest only doing partial bits a second color though - like how my gauntlets are all green but the blasters are blue. Something like that but with your red and yellow. It would be a cool subtle shout-out to how the OG Mando Protectors were colored in the comics

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2019, 12:58 PM »
I like the two for one special with the double colored gauntlets. I would suggest only doing partial bits a second color though - like how my gauntlets are all green but the blasters are blue. Something like that but with your red and yellow. It would be a cool subtle shout-out to how the OG Mando Protectors were colored in the comics

Yes! That's a perfect idea. I was kinda doing the top half/bottom half idea, but I think the little detailing and rocket parts would look sweet with that splash of yellow. I think I'd like for my cape to be green too now that I think about it. Hmm...

Does anyone know it there is there a way to get those comics in digital format so I can get a better look at everything? I have the Open Season ones on my kindle, but haven't thought to look for these on there.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2019, 07:44 PM »
I've an iPad with marvel comics app...those old comics are on there. Don't know about kindle though

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2019, 09:52 PM »
I've an iPad with marvel comics app...those old comics are on there. Don't know about kindle though

I hadn't looked yet. The kindle is getting old and slluggish, so I haven't looked for them on there. I've got an iPhone, so I don't see why I couldn't download the Marvel comics app on here!

Thanks for that tip!

Jaster Fett

• All men are cremated equally
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2019, 03:47 AM »
Glad to see you're joining us Super Commandos, Kurshi! Lol
Looks like you and Fenn are having a good back and fourth so I'm not sure how much I can contribute, but I'll comment anyway to keep track of this build progress.

I modeled my own after elements of Pre-Pro Fett and Mythos Fett and that's how my design came to be! (I'm personally NOT a huge fan of the bright, flamboyant original colors from the comics but it was the 80's so go figure lol), but I digress

I'm liking where your design is going. Don't be afraid to mix it up if you find some parts and colors a little too generic for your liking

Lastly, have fun with this the challenge. I had way more fun building my Protector than any costume I've worked on to date

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2020, 12:21 AM »
Glad to see you're joining us Super Commandos, Kurshi! Lol
Looks like you and Fenn are having a good back and fourth so I'm not sure how much I can contribute, but I'll comment anyway to keep track of this build progress.

I modeled my own after elements of Pre-Pro Fett and Mythos Fett and that's how my design came to be! (I'm personally NOT a huge fan of the bright, flamboyant original colors from the comics but it was the 80's so go figure lol), but I digress

I'm liking where your design is going. Don't be afraid to mix it up if you find some parts and colors a little too generic for your liking

Lastly, have fun with this the challenge. I had way more fun building my Protector than any costume I've worked on to date

Thanks for the encouragement! It looks like it'll be fun, but a bit intimidating. I definitely like a challenge though!

I've been trying to get my soft parts in order before jumping into this. After a flightsuit fell through, I kinda halted all my progress but I might have new leads on a double sleeved flightsuit. I don't trust myself at all with a sewing machine to make my own suit and the pockets? Not a chance haha.

I ordered a vest from K'ram in light gray. Hopefully the color will work okay. He had it next to the paper to show the color. He apparently had had someone complain that it was white?

In other news:
•I'm looking for the right pair of boots to stand out to me.
•Also deciding if I want to actually try to make my own gloves or not. That would mean I'd have to sew... Or die trying.
•I've got the pvc glue to start putting together my "Kick The Bucket" ABS helmet. Not sure if I'm going to like it or if it'll work, but I'm going to try it out.
•I'm also updating my current kit's sidearm from a Westar 34 to a D-200 for brigade updates there. I've never really liked my westar's paint job, so I'm thinking about giving it a new look and using it for my Protector sidearm.

And I think that's about it so far! Hopefully it'll be less time before I have an update.  :)

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2020, 12:36 AM »
My vest arrived already!

So I'll likely start on plates next. I'm still not sure if I want to buy a backplate with slots for the jetpack already in it or attempt to make it on my own.

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:04 PM »
I say make your own!!! Use your existing back plate as your 'form' and just heat up the new one and shape it to that. Easy peasy

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 11:30 PM »
Big ol' picture heavy update coming!

So a friend has had an Arkady ESB Fett suit lying around for a few years. If you're familiar with The Dented Helmet, you'll know Arkady makes some great quality flight suits! This one didn't fit him, so he asked if I wanted to check it out. (THANK YOU AZRAYEL!) It even comes with the cloth hip pouches.
Uh... YES! So here's what I've got.

Now, I know those laced Rocket Dog boots aren't going to work, but it gives the idea of the boot height that I'll be using.

Notice in that last picture that the sleeves are a bit short. I'm not too worried because my gauntlets should hide that and I can use longer gloves to hide the skin. A minor issue. But overall, it seemed like it was gonna fit. So I threw on my vest and current knees, girth and pouch/cod belt.

Hue hue hue! This just might work! So I decided to throw on my current plates to check it out.

Either the vest's neckseal has to be removed or the flight suit's. I didn't factor in getting a flight suit like this when I ordered my vest. I need to get matching spats and my gloves done still. But this was a major hang up for me. The flight suit was what I was most worried about. Next up will be the dye. Any suggestions are welcome!

Seeing this set up makes me want to ditch my shin plates on Kurshi V1, get lower cut boots and go even light armor. So I may be selling an extremely comfy size 13 pair of Uggs here soon haha.  :laugh:

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 12:04 PM »
More updates.

I found some shoes that I went ahead and ordered. They've got the basic Fett feel but are khaki in color. Seemed like a great base to work from. They're from Wish, so they could look exactly like this or I could get a potato peeler with LEDs and a massaging grip for all I know. Haha.

I went ahead and started reworking my Westar 34 to use for this kit. The knob on the back broke off, so I've replaced that and going to give it a repaint.

And the most exciting news:

I was fortunate to end up with this bad boy. It's not in my possession yet, but it should be sometime next week. He said that it still needs work, but I'm more than happy to use his base and keep working with it. So stoked on this!

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 09:04 PM »
it grooooooows!!!!!!!  :boba:  Pumped to see more man.

Manco Fett

• I don’t want your armor, I want my armor.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Boba and Jango
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 03:10 AM »
 :boba: This is looking good dude. Keep at it!!!

I.G. @NorCal_Cap

Pre Pro 2- Boba Fett

Manco Fett- Mandalorian Protector
WIP  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=191488.0

WIP Legendary Galactic Gunslinger (Hopeful)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197283.0

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30 PM »
:boba: This is looking good dude. Keep at it!!!

Thanks! Slowly but surely!

I spent a little time working on the jetpack tonight. I used a razor to trim excess bondo and sand most of the rough spots down.

I can see some little pits here and there that will call for a little spot glaze putty. I'm also considering adding a little quiksteel here and there to reinforce it structurally if need-be. Since Bondo doesn't do much in the way of adding strength to things, quiksteel might help with adding to the structural integrity.

Nothing seems flimsy right now, though, definitely a solid build. If it ever decides to stop being humid outside, I'll give it a coat of primer to tie it all together. I always feel like that shows the imperfections a little bit more.

Oh! If anyone has a suggestion for a good 3D print filler, I'm all ears!

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 11:44 AM »
What 3D printed item are you looking to fill? I know there is a liquid solution that helps with print lines if you soak an item in it but I would bet that depends on the size of the item. That being said, bondo spot filler and primer is about all I know of outside of that.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2020, 10:52 PM »
What 3D printed item are you looking to fill? I know there is a liquid solution that helps with print lines if you soak an item in it but I would bet that depends on the size of the item. That being said, bondo spot filler and primer is about all I know of outside of that.

Basically anything that wasn't made from sintra was 3D printed. Or anything that's not a large flat area haha.  :laugh:  I ended up grabbing some Rustoleum automotive filler primer to try.

I do have a small update though!
I got some new kick off of Wish for my Protector! I'm not sure they look exactly like the photos, but what does when it arrives from Wish?  :laugh:
I think I can make them work, though. They're a bit big but some nice insoles will help. Then I'll just have to wear and weather them!

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2020, 08:18 AM »
These boots were still an awesome find man.

Make sure you look into some pretty sturdy toe spikes though haha

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2020, 11:54 PM »
Beginning to get back to this. I'm thinking about using a DE-10 for my sidearm. I've found 3D prints on Etsy but I'd prefer to go resin cast (if possible) or would go 3D printed if I could support a fellow Merc.

That being said, anyone know of someone selling resin options or printing them on the forums?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!