Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bloodstripes

• 10 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Bloodstripes
« on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Bloodstripe Request

Greetings Vode!  I've been working my way through my first kit, and for a while I've had a vision for my flight suit to have a specific nod to a previous occupation for my Mando.  Being a former Corsec officer, I would like to see bloodstripes down each leg to indicate his prior rank.  At first I had sourced out the iron on patches for the blood stripes and they came out alright. 

The Iron on looked okay at first, and it's been through the wash once, as well as being tailored and taken in.  However they don't hold well enough, and they peel pretty easily.  This is not the long term solution I'm looking for. 

What I'm Looking For

Now I do not have sewing skills, nor do I own a machine that I could even use.  So I'm looking for assistance in creating sewn bloodstripes.  I found this photo online that shows exactly what I'm looking for.  I don't really know much about the sewing world, but some friends of mine said this would be fairly easy, if not just a bit tedious to do them as shown up and down each leg. 

As for what we're working with here, this is a pair of overalls from Dickies.  Pictures below.

If you'd be able to help out with this project, please let me know and we can discuss arrangements.  Thank you!

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: Bloodstripes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen pre-sewn bloodstripe strips somewhere online... might have been on ebay or etsy, but I know they exist.

*edit* Yeah, just did a quick Google search and there were several options available. reasonably priced, too.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 04:31 PM by Ori Dart » Logged
Oya!

Andry         ; )

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:59 PM »
I too have seen pre-sewn stripes somewhere. If I remember my high school textile lesson days, we had machines that could do embroidery automatically, I've no idea how they did it though but I remember having a small frog sewn onto a piece of scrap as an example, this might be a way forward. Or failing that, mask off the area and use red spray paint?

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

PorkRoll

• try to avoid a mandon't
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Nice idea.  Personally I think having some missing or falling off gives a nice worn look.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I too have seen pre-sewn stripes somewhere. If I remember my high school textile lesson days, we had machines that could do embroidery automatically, I've no idea how they did it though but I remember having a small frog sewn onto a piece of scrap as an example, this might be a way forward. Or failing that, mask off the area and use red spray paint?

I'm pretty sure I've seen pre-sewn bloodstripe strips somewhere online... might have been on ebay or etsy, but I know they exist.

*edit* Yeah, just did a quick Google search and there were several options available. reasonably priced, too.

I agree, there are many options out there.  I have seen and used the iron on transfers.  I have also seen the paint and the pre-sewn strips.  However, while those are nice options, it's not really the quality that I'm looking for.  I don't mind spending a little more time and money on getting something even more authentic looking.  So what I'm trying to find is someone who could actually do this (since I lack the equipment and the skills) that I might be able to commission it off of. 

I figured someone in the Mercs might be handy enough with such a skill-set that I could work with on this project. 

Nice idea.  Personally I think having some missing or falling off gives a nice worn look.

I can still rough up some sewn in bloodstripes easy enough.  However since they are canonically sewn in - the idea of iron on transfers falling off doesn't have the same affect.

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Might be worth checking the Rebel Legion forums for suggestions.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:50 PM »
I did bloodstripes on my regular everyday pants by sewing on short strips of 1cm wide ribbon.  It took HOURS to do, but it's flatter than embroidering them and, without an automatic embroidery machine, still a bit quicker, and probably cheaper once you factor in the costs of thread vs. ribbon, etc.

kman

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2019, 01:49 AM »
There are definitely some vendors on eBay that do pre-sewn blood stripes.  I've purchased a few myself for Han costumes I've done for Rebel Legion.  Generally, though, they only come in red stripes on blue (for ANH) and yellow on brown (for ESB/ROTJ).  If you can supply the fabric, however, it's quite likely that they could sew the stripes onto your custom fabric instead of the usual ones.  Then just attach them to your existing flightsuit.  (there are a couple of good techniques for this that look very good and are simple to do, if a touch tedious)  I've found eBay seller "joannes_friends" to be one of the better options for the pre-done stripes, so you may want to seek out that seller to inquire?

There are a few vendors who do full custom work, including embroidery, who could probably do it as well, albeit at a considerably higher price.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll post up a list.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:15 PM »
There are a few vendors who do full custom work, including embroidery, who could probably do it as well, albeit at a considerably higher price.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll post up a list.

Please do, that's exactly what I'm looking for!  Thanks vod.

kman

« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2020, 04:36 PM »
Drat, I missed seeing your response.  My apologies.  Did you ever find what you need?

I finally have my helmet so I should be around here a bit more often since I'll finally be actively working on this. :)

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:15 PM »
I have not sourced a way to get this done yet, but I'm working on a few more potential leads.  Sorry for the UBER late response. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!