Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aryiea's Soft Parts WIP (Pic heavy)

• 31 Replies
Aryiea's Soft Parts WIP (Pic heavy)
« on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Hi all, I've been in progress for a bit, now, so I'll show what I've got so far, but I do also have a specific question on the vest, as well.

Flight suit (purchased - Cuddl Duds brand long underwear $34):

Neck seal (hand made ~$7):

Vest (handmade - ~$25 fabric/$2 velcro/pattern I had on hand [Simplicity 9466]):

Everything together:

Boots (purchased from Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SW4XSFK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image - ~$25 at time of purchase):

I'm in the process of making a kama at the moment, I still need waist items, and I'd like to make a cape as well.

For those that use a side lace-up closure, how do you keep the fabric from wrinkling up from the laces being pulled tight? Do you add boning next to the grommets?

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2020, 10:28 AM by Aryiea Nox » Logged
Re: Aryiea's Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:14 AM »
ooh, i LOVE the texture on the flak vest! :D

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2019, 10:58 AM »
ooh, i LOVE the texture on the flak vest! :D

Thanks, Vod!  ;D I've no idea what that fabric is supposed to be for but I loved the texture too - my kama will be the same fabric!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:06 PM »
When I want bunch-less lacing, I DO add boning alongside the grommets... Usually coat hangers bent straight, trimmed to length, then bent back into the shape it's supposed to follow, because I ran out of nylon 'poor man's boning' (XXL zip ties)

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:53 PM »
also, did you draft the patterns yourself? i just noticed the princess seams on the vest, very nicely done!
as for the lace up sides, what i usually do for lace up sections is to reinforce it with several layers of interfacing, and i'll usually apply bias tape on it as well just to thicken up the fabric on the edge while keeping it crisp. adding boning would certainly work too though

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:41 PM »
When I want bunch-less lacing, I DO add boning alongside the grommets... Usually coat hangers bent straight, trimmed to length, then bent back into the shape it's supposed to follow, because I ran out of nylon 'poor man's boning' (XXL zip ties)

Alright thanks for the info  :D haven't decided if I want to go that route or not. Zip ties are the best boning  :laugh:

also, did you draft the patterns yourself? i just noticed the princess seams on the vest, very nicely done!
as for the lace up sides, what i usually do for lace up sections is to reinforce it with several layers of interfacing, and i'll usually apply bias tape on it as well just to thicken up the fabric on the edge while keeping it crisp. adding boning would certainly work too though

The pattern for the vest is a heavily modified 80s?? prom dress pattern. The dress came as a bodice and skirt and I modified the fit, slightly, drafted the sleeve patterns, modified the neckline, modified for the added lining.  :D I drafted the pattern for the kama from looking at a tulip skirt.
Edit: I found the pattern I used, it is Simplicity 9466 - I used pattern A and modified it heavily as stated above.

Also update:

Been working on the cape/cape collar, kama, sash, and patterns for missing plates.

The collar and back plate will go underneath, but both should be visibly sticking out from under the cape and cape collar.

I may use a thicker fabric for the cape like a textured linen or something. Haven't decided yet.. The silk was just something I had on hand to play with. I also haven't decided how I want to drape the cape - id like to leave some of the back plate visible.

Kama, hand made, ~$15 for elastic and fabric

Cape collar, hand made - fabric i had on hand, it's from a baby bassinet cover that I found at the thrift store for $2.

Cape, hand made - fabric I had on hand but it was probably a bit pricey since it is real silk.

Sash, hand made - prolly like $3 for the fabric.

Sewn:

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2020, 10:33 AM by Aryiea Nox » Logged
Re: Aryiea's Soft Parts WIP (Pic heavy)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Tried making gloves and realized it is Not Worth It™. My sewing machine doesn't like the thin stretchy fabric that is good for gloves, and it doesn't like sewing tiny stretchy pieces of fabric together without jamming. I realized I was looking in all the wrong places when I went internet shopping for gloves, but found these hilarious satin opera gloves on Amazon that come in nearly every color, finally... $6! I'll add thermal thread stitched into the finger tips to make them touchscreen compatible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R2KT58T?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2020, 10:34 AM by Aryiea Nox » Logged

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Could you post a link to those gloves? They look good!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Could you post a link to those gloves? They look good!

Sure thing! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R2KT58T?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

I'm adding as much info/purchase links/brands/patterns as possible to previous posts here in case it helps anyone.  :D

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Thank you very much!

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Flak vest looks great! Very interesting material  :like:

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Flak vest looks great! Very interesting material  :like:

Thank you  ;D it was sold as a denim but I'm still trying to figure out what the original purpose was intended to be  :laugh:

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:16 PM »
I'm liking where this is heading.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Thank you very much!

You're very welcome!  :kiss:

I'm liking where this is heading.

Yay! Thank you  :D been working hard on the soft parts to get a good base before I move forward with more armor work.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2020, 01:08 PM »
So,
I was unhappy with the fit of my flak vest - I goofed when I cut out the pattern pieces, because, though I measured myself, I am rather pear shaped and I did not make the top of it small enough for my comparatively small shoulder frame. The area toward the hips fits fine, but the neckline sat up a little off my body and just gapped too much for my liking.... Sooo... I completely altered it   :o

I added zip tie boning next to the velcro on the sides, to keep things straighter and avoid bunchyness when armor plates go on, as well as to make it easier to put on and take off (plus boning just looks really nice). I adjusted the velcro slightly, added two mid neck "darts" - which are actually just pleats because when I pleated them over to check the fit for the darts I liked the look & just sewed them down and added top stitching, and I also completely cut straight up the center back seam & brought it waaaay in at the back neck, curving that new seam so it barely brought in anything once it got to the bottom. I stitched this up & added a 6" zip at the top back so I can still pull it over my head and attach with velcro at the sides (I don't want a back closure because I think it will be difficult for me to put it on by myself and I hate clothes I need help getting into.) Unfortunately I didnt bring the back neck in quite enough, so now I have to take the zip out and put it back in, but since it's the first zipper I've ever installed I'm happy to do it again because I think it'll look better the 2nd time.

I've also decided I want the sleeves to come down more and be more of a cap so since I'm completely destroying this vest I may as well take the sleeves out and redo them while I'm at it  :'( lol.

If there's any more pear shaped ladies out there having similar issues with the fit above the breasts, maybe this will help you? (in particular the neck darts.)

Anyway, storytime over, heres a few pics of my alterations:

Neck pleats

Boning

Back seam/zip, which needs to be reinstalled

Update:

The reinstalled zipper

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2020, 05:26 PM by Aryiea Nox » Logged
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2020, 08:01 PM »
Finished all alterations and took pics modeling everything. All I should need for soft parts now in order to meet CRLs is a second waist item and my gloves to arrive. I plan to make a leather belt for holster/ammo/bags. I also need to finish hemming the cape.

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2020, 09:50 AM »
Looking well put-together! :)

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:36 PM »
Almost finished with soft parts - the final piece is this two-tier leather belt which I just need to attach the hardware to and oil/weather. I also will be making a leg holster that attaches to this and possibly some ammo pouches and knee armor straps.

Update: modeled - still waiting on the hardware to arrive.

I've decided on just making a beeswax/coconut oil finisher to buff it with and then sun tan it when there's actually some sun to let it get a nice aged patina rather than dye or paint it. I just think it'll end up looking a lot nicer and more aged/weathered/in universe with a natural patina on it.

Update: made the holster

And got 2 yards of double gauze fabric in sand color for the cape. I'm going to dip-dye the bottom half of it a dusty purple like the flight suit.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 10:41 AM by Aryiea Nox » Logged
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:58 PM »
Finished belt with neatsfoot oil/beeswax mix and saddlesoap and got my new fabric for my cape - its a double gauze linen which I'm honestly thinking I may not hem, or may just sort of stitch across where the hem would be, about an inch in, to keep the rough edge look. I'll need to weather it and everything else. I'm thinking of adding a brown leather spat to help the white shoes tie in with the other brown aspects of the costume.

OriKad

« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:12 PM »
It's turning out really nice!

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:14 PM »
It's turning out really nice!

Thank you  ;D

« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:37 PM »
This looks awesome so far!  I love the two tier belt! Also the way the cape hangs showing off the back...solid.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:03 PM »
This looks awesome so far!  I love the two tier belt! Also the way the cape hangs showing off the back...solid.

Thanks, vod!  :D

Vesten Mythnar

• Foundling / Haaranovor Clan
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Wow this looks fantastic! I really love the texture of the vest!  :porg2:

« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Wow this looks fantastic! I really love the texture of the vest!  :porg2:

Thanks!  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!