Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flight suit pattern

• 10 Replies
Flight suit pattern
« on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:56 AM »
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-mens-teens-costume-simplicity-pattern-8722

Would this pattern be ok for a modern era flight suit, I will be changing the cuffs on the sleeves?

Re: Flight suit pattern
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2019, 08:02 PM »
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-mens-teens-costume-simplicity-pattern-8722

Would this pattern be ok for a modern era flight suit, I will be changing the cuffs on the sleeves?
Not an official opinion - but if you ditch the pockets / zippers and the gathered cuffs you're probably ok - and make sure it's not baggy. The orange one looks like it has a neck seal so that's a plus!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:13 AM »
this is from simplicity's "off brand" costume line. it's very much meant to be a pattern for an X-wing pilot's suit, and as far as i've found through all my research, is probably the best commercial flight suit pattern out there. most other options are women's bodysuits, which either end up being 80s powersuit style, or skintight catwoman/leotard suits. or overly baggy pajama onesies.
like kay toh said, you'd need to tailor it in a bit so it's not loose, but that's as easy as going down a size. personally, i'd love to see the results! i wanna make this one myself, but simplicity won't ship to canada anymore >.>

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 08:18 AM »
you'd need to tailor it in a bit so it's not loose, but that's as easy as going down a size.
normally I'd be cautious about going down a size unless it says it has multiple inches of "ease" in the pattern - you need some wiggle room or else it'll end up looking like the skintight suit kamenkewl talked about  :laugh:
The best option is to sew it to your normal measurements, put it on inside out, and get someone you trust to pin it (safety pins are definitely good here), then sew along your pinned lines.
I'll give you the same sewing advice I've given several of the ladies in the women's soft parts forum - make sure you can crouch, sit in a chair, and raise your arms comfortably. You don't want to rip a seam during a troop, or be the weird stiff-looking mando that has to stay at the back of the group photo! 

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Just watched a friend make his flightsuit off this pattern. Pay attention to the sizing and always make a mockup or two, flightsuits are really hard to get XS-XL to fit everyone well.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2020, 04:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, watch this space 😂

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2020, 04:21 AM »
this is from simplicity's "off brand" costume line. it's very much meant to be a pattern for an X-wing pilot's suit, and as far as i've found through all my research, is probably the best commercial flight suit pattern out there. most other options are women's bodysuits, which either end up being 80s powersuit style, or skintight catwoman/leotard suits. or overly baggy pajama onesies.
like kay toh said, you'd need to tailor it in a bit so it's not loose, but that's as easy as going down a size. personally, i'd love to see the results! i wanna make this one myself, but simplicity won't ship to canada anymore >.>
.   If you want one sending over to Canada I could send one over

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2021, 03:12 PM »
https://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/CP40/coveralls.html?v=10243&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhM6W-obA8QIVHAOtBh2itASAEAEYASACEgJ9efD_BwE

I saw this on the one of the ads on here and I was wondering if i could use this for my Heavy Mando flight suit?  There aren't any sleeves but I plan to add a different color so I figured it would be okay.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2021, 08:32 PM »
I actually did make my flightsuit out of this pattern. It turned out pretty well, I'll post pictures soon

Edit:

normally I'd be cautious about going down a size unless it says it has multiple inches of "ease" in the pattern - you need some wiggle room or else it'll end up looking like the skintight suit kamenkewl talked about  :laugh:
The best option is to sew it to your normal measurements, put it on inside out, and get someone you trust to pin it (safety pins are definitely good here), then sew along your pinned lines.
I'll give you the same sewing advice I've given several of the ladies in the women's soft parts forum - make sure you can crouch, sit in a chair, and raise your arms comfortably. You don't want to rip a seam during a troop, or be the weird stiff-looking mando that has to stay at the back of the group photo!

You're right. I'm a small guy, and we did the small pattern. I can juuuuust get into the suit. Now, we did make it out of mid-weight denim (my wife did the sewing - steadier hands), so there's no give in the fabric at all. A fabric with more elasticity would give more in-and-out room.

Once it's on over my shoulders and done up though, I can easily do a full squat.

Also, the pattern calls for velcro closures, not zips, but we modified it to have a two-way zipper (for bathroom access).  We also moved the patch pockets up to the thighs, Boba-style.

Here's a picture from when we were sorting out the hems of the legs:

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2021, 08:47 PM by Two_Bears_HF » Logged
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2021, 08:51 PM »
.   If you want one sending over to Canada I could send one over

I am also in Canada and ended up shipping it from the states. Took a while to get here.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!