Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aryiea's Armor WIP (Pic heavy)

• 27 Replies
Aryiea's Armor WIP (Pic heavy)
« on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Hi all, I've been a member here on the forums for several years now but only began taking major steps on my build within the last couple of months.

Here's my armor so far:

Collar plate pattern (sorry it's underneath the cape collar, I didn't take a picture of it by itself yet. It's the paper towels.):

Chest armor (yes, I know the spots where I smushed the mannequin nipples down look hilarious.) The collar shown here is being replaced with ones cut to the pattern shown above. The ab plate shown here is now going to be replaced, as well. Couldn't get the mannequin ab plate to work. I cut out a pattern for the new one but forgot to take a picture.

Shoulder pattern from front and back (the paper towel):

I also have shin armor cut out and shaped and a back plate cut and partly shaped, but I forgot to take a picture.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2020, 10:47 AM by Aryiea Nox » Logged
Re: Aryiea's Armor WIP (Pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Spent last night drafting patterns for knees and cod and cut one knee out before I got too sleepy to continue. (also pictured: partly sanded ab plate)

These should be the last plates I need to cut out, besides potentially a new chest diamond cuz I don't like my last one and any additional layers/pieces to add decorative flair/shaping to other plates.

Forgot to take a Pic, but I've got:
Back plate
Ab plate
Chest plates
Diamond
Shoulder bells
Collar plates
Shin plates (was gonna do shnees but changed my mind so I need to cut them down into just shin plates)
Knees

Also have:
Gauntlets (though these need a lot of work, I'm considering them separate from the armor plates.)

The shin plates are technically the only ones I have cut that I don't "need" for approval, but I was considering doing elbows/thighs as well, if not right now at some point. Depends if I feel like my look doesn't seem balanced enough.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:51 AM »
All plates are cut out & working on getting the shaping right. Do most people cut darts when they need a compound curve or like let it wrinkle and bondo/sand?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:12 PM »
I try to avoid either, whenever I can, but when I KNOW it's going to be a deep curve, I dart.  For shallower curves where I get wrinkles anyway, I either sand, or I reheat and try to get it wrinkle-less.  Any minor wrinkles left after that try-fix-repeat process, I sand and fill as necessary.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:21 PM »
I try to avoid either, whenever I can, but when I KNOW it's going to be a deep curve, I dart.  For shallower curves where I get wrinkles anyway, I either sand, or I reheat and try to get it wrinkle-less.  Any minor wrinkles left after that try-fix-repeat process, I sand and fill as necessary.

I'll keep heating and try to minimize them, then! Having issues on the knees and back.    :porg2: >:( I need like 5 more hands.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:06 PM »
Wow!  Seems you have a sense of style and color, make it bold and all you're s.  Mandos are warriors, show you've been down range and lived to tell about it. What's ur weapon  load-out gonna be ?

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:17 PM »
Judging by how good your soft parts look this kit is going to be incredible! Watching with great interest! :maul:

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Grabbed myself some autobody filler/primer paint, duplicolor metalcast ground coat & purple and orange duplicolor anodized metalcast tint paint.. Also got Rust-Oleum 261411 Universal All Surface Spray Paint in white pearl ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NO4RG2Y?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image ) I am hoping these brands will all work together as I need them to.. I need the orange and purple to successfully go over the pearl white in places, It's hard to tell and I am not a spray paint expert but I believe all the brands I got are enamel which should be okay together, hopefully.. The white doesn't say enamel but it's oil based which I think means it's likely enamel and not a lacquer? Anyone know how I can tell? I will do test coats in scrap sintra either way, I'm not anywhere close to being ready to paint, I just Want to have it and do my tests so when I'm ready I'll know what to do.

I've also got chest armor & back plate attached via velcro to the vest at this point and will be working on getting proper spacing so I can add snaps. Then I'll be adding any extra layers of sintra I want for detailing & doing a loooot of sanding.

Wow!  Seems you have a sense of style and color, make it bold and all you're s.  Mandos are warriors, show you've been down range and lived to tell about it. What's ur weapon  load-out gonna be ?

Thanks! I have a leia/luke style blaster and plan to make a beskad as well. Eventually I may do some kind of staff or larger weapon but for now I'm going small.

Judging by how good your soft parts look this kit is going to be incredible! Watching with great interest! :maul:

Thanks!  :D

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020, 02:27 PM by Aryiea Nox » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2020, 10:57 PM »
Shaping the cod, knees and shoulders tonight. Fixed gapping/shaping of the chest armor, tried it all on. How is this for spacing?

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:07 AM »
Still working on spacing/trimming. Are there any major issues with this spacing?

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Finally warm enough for me to get outside yesterday and do some sanding. Just roughing stuff up at 60grit for the time being while I get everything filled in and shaped correctly. I'm sure I'll need to do a lot more sanding before I'm finished lol, but I've successfully gotten rid of the mannequins original nipples so there's a big plus. No longer out here looking like batman  :like:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:19 PM »
In answer to your previous post, the spacing looks just fine. Congratulations on getting rid of the nipples, lol, but double check under different light angles, especially after you put down a layer of primer. Some of our early mannequin-using mandos had them to where they certainly looked smooth, only to have the shadow of the nips show up in pictures once the armor was painted. Great work so far!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:44 PM »
In answer to your previous post, the spacing looks just fine. Congratulations on getting rid of the nipples, lol, but double check under different light angles, especially after you put down a layer of primer. Some of our early mannequin-using mandos had them to where they certainly looked smooth, only to have the shadow of the nips show up in pictures once the armor was painted. Great work so far!

Thanks for the reply  ;D and good advice! I will double check it once it's primed just to be sure but I think they ought to be gone by now.... I hope  :laugh:

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2020, 01:32 PM »
Filling in darts/areas that didn't curve exactly how I wanted on knees/cod with magic sculpt - to fill in the bulk of the space and get the shape right. I'll probably use Bondo to get it really smooth after the initial magic sculpt layer, but if I can get it smooth with just magic sculpt I will, if only because magic sculpt doesn't have a million fumes and I can use it inside in the cold weather, lol.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Still need some sanding and filling before I can actually paint, but I'm getting somewhere!  ;D :porg2:

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 02:34 PM »
Primer looking good! On the breastplate you're holding up, is there some stuff stuck to the plate? The primer looks almost like it has some fuzz on it in the right-hand top corner. But might just be an artifact of the light. I know I had some dust blow on my plates on my last kit, and it was a pain to fix because I tried just painting over it....

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Update: going ahead with painting  :like: there are some small mistakes here and there where the tape didn't stick down as much as I thought, but nothing that isn't fixable, I think. Artist's tape for curves by 3M is serving me very well for sharp curves and compound curves   :porg2:

Primer looking good! On the breastplate you're holding up, is there some stuff stuck to the plate? The primer looks almost like it has some fuzz on it in the right-hand top corner. But might just be an artifact of the light. I know I had some dust blow on my plates on my last kit, and it was a pain to fix because I tried just painting over it....

Yeah that was the issue I was having with the texture of the mannequin plastic. I ended up just needing to hit it with primer a couple times and sand it a LOT.   :laugh:

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2020, 06:42 PM »
More progress with painting

Ram'ser Gota Tonar

• Mandalorians are stronger Together!! Oya!
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:50 AM »
Hello there Aryiea Nox!!!

Your work is getting stunning!!! Love the colors and the way you did your plates is fantastic!

Regards!!!

« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Hello there Aryiea Nox!!!

Your work is getting stunning!!! Love the colors and the way you did your plates is fantastic!

Regards!!!

Thanks! Here's hoping I can get it all to sit right  :like:

« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2020, 04:26 PM »

Any final thoughts on placement before I sew the snaps on? Is this alright? Anything need to be shifted?

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Slick paint job!!!  :o

As for your spacing it all looks pretty darn good! Just watch out for that diamond spacing. It's a tad low right now  :D

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:46 PM »
Paint is so cool! Great job!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion
« Reply #23 on: Jul 06, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Slick paint job!!!  :o

As for your spacing it all looks pretty darn good! Just watch out for that diamond spacing. It's a tad low right now  :D

Okay thanks for the reply  ;D I'll scoot it up and add my snaps!

Paint is so cool! Great job!

Thanks!  :porg2:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Yeah, awesome job :D. The only thing more I can add is that some weathering or detail where the white parts of plates meet the vest might help really make the lines between plate and vest pop; in particular the sides of the color and the center part of the ab sorta get lost in the vest. In that pic, the lighting makes the white parts of the shoulder distinct, but you might run into the same problem there as the other spots. But, again, definitely excellent work :)

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!