Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build Rhea WIP

• 8 Replies
First Build Rhea WIP
« on: Jan 05, 2020, 02:25 AM »
So despite me being in the drafting phase yet, here's my WIP for my custom Mando, Rhea! I'm definitely not an artist by any means so I did the best I could with a template. Soft parts are further along than the armour, with things on my wishlist for payday and going material hunting soon for the pattern I ordered (Simplicity's 8480), as well as checking the local thrift stores for shoes and scrubs.

The idea is the lavender will be the base of the armour (I'm going to start with Light and then add thigh and shin armour depending on how I feel once I start cutting and molding). The teal and grape will be accent colours. Black flightsuit, grey-purple (payne's grey?) for the flak vest and tentative cape. Planning on using a Nite Owl helmet with a standard black visor. Doing a colour check with this post, I'm unsure how it will all look said and done. Thoughts? Opinions?

My inspiration for colours, vaguely jungle themed, is the planet Onderon, with a tentative backstory for Rhea having spent her formative years there.

I printed out the 5'3" Jango template (I'm just under 5'5") and will be cutting/placing the paper draft in the next couple days. I'm thinking I'll pick up some firmer material (poster paper?) to work my template on. So, questions time:

I've seen a tutorial for darting Legacy armour, but does anyone have tips on breastplate darting for Modern chest armour? Does anyone know of a seller for a Nite Owl bucket that's a smaller size? I'm a bit worried that the standard size I've seen from Demon Dogs will be too large for my smaller size. I'm not quite sure how to go about knowing what size helmet to purchase for myself, considering I will definitely want to install at least a fan.

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2020, 06:35 PM by ladylambi » Logged

Nika

• April 23 - submitted pre-app pics
Re: First Build Rhea WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:20 PM »
I love the colors you chose!

I would order scrubs from Amazon, thrift stores don't always have matching sets of scrubs. Dyeing scrubs black is challenging, I tried. I ordered 2 sets of black scrubs on Amazon, because I had a local alterations place use the 2nd pair of pants as extra material to sew sleeves onto the shirt to make it look like I'm wearing long sleeves underneath. I also had them remove the back pockets from the pants, and sew the front pockets shut. If the scrubs from Amazon don't fit, you can always return them. I may or may not have to have them tailored around the legs in case the app team tells me they're too baggy. I have mostly soft parts for my build right now too.
Here's where I ordered mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018VJH4U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered my helmet from NME Props: https://www.nmeprops.com/helmets
Night Owl helmet I ordered: https://www.nmeprops.com/product-page/night-owl
It says it is 10.5 inches tall in the front, 9.5 inches tall in the back, width from forehead to back of forehead is 8.25 inches, and the helmet opening on the bottom is 9.5 inches. I'm 5 foot 6 inches. Let me know your head size measurements and I'll measure my head if you want to compare sizes to see if it would fit you. You're welcome to PM me too.

Instagram: @Mando.Nika
TikTok: @Mando.Nika

Family is more than blood.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:24 PM »
I love the colors you chose!

I would order scrubs from Amazon, thrift stores don't always have matching sets of scrubs. Dyeing scrubs black is challenging, I tried. I ordered 2 sets of black scrubs on Amazon, because I had a local alterations place use the 2nd pair of pants as extra material to sew sleeves onto the shirt to make it look like I'm wearing long sleeves underneath. I also had them remove the back pockets from the pants, and sew the front pockets shut. If the scrubs from Amazon don't fit, you can always return them. I may or may not have to have them tailored around the legs in case the app team tells me they're too baggy. I have mostly soft parts for my build right now too.
Here's where I ordered mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018VJH4U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered my helmet from NME Props: https://www.nmeprops.com/helmets
Night Owl helmet I ordered: https://www.nmeprops.com/product-page/night-owl
It says it is 10.5 inches tall in the front, 9.5 inches tall in the back, width from forehead to back of forehead is 8.25 inches, and the helmet opening on the bottom is 9.5 inches. I'm 5 foot 6 inches. Let me know your head size measurements and I'll measure my head if you want to compare sizes to see if it would fit you. You're welcome to PM me too.

Thanks! Validate mee  ;D

I did take a look at thrift stores and you're right that it's hard to find a matching set of scrubs. I'll check out the ones you linked! I briefly toyed with the idea of buying coveralls and altering them into two pieces, but I really want to try the look of scrubs first.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! For helmet, I've placed an order for a custom 3D print from a fellow Canadian and my fingers are crossed that it turns out good.

Nika

• April 23 - submitted pre-app pics
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:19 AM »
I’m starting off with scrubs since it’ll be two piece and will be easy if I need to use the lady’s room.

Oh btw I may also be going the cape route. A clan mate said it’s easy to start off with a cape for OM, then later update with a backplate since those can sometimes be tricky when you’re first making armor.

I’ll be crossing my fingers also for your helmet 3D print, can’t wait to see it and see your progress!

Instagram: @Mando.Nika
TikTok: @Mando.Nika

Family is more than blood.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 04:53 AM »
One trick I've found is to put your vest on (best done over the exact kit you'll be wearing, Inc bra if necessary to have one set aside for the kit) and then using sticky tape (check it before hand that it'll lift from the vest without leaving glue behind) tape over the front of the vest. Put your girth/sash on so it's at the waist and mark out the top edge on the tape. Then just draw in the plate shapes in the gap left. Unpeel the tape and add darts until the tape is flat.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Thanks, vode!

I’m starting off with scrubs since it’ll be two piece and will be easy if I need to use the lady’s room.

Oh btw I may also be going the cape route. A clan mate said it’s easy to start off with a cape for OM, then later update with a backplate since those can sometimes be tricky when you’re first making armor.

I’ll be crossing my fingers also for your helmet 3D print, can’t wait to see it and see your progress!

I was definitely thinking two-pieces for that same reason  :laugh:

I really wanted to do a half-cape, but I think you're right about a backplate being tricky. I've seen a few different backplates and I definitely will do one, but maybe not right off the bat.

One trick I've found is to put your vest on (best done over the exact kit you'll be wearing, Inc bra if necessary to have one set aside for the kit) and then using sticky tape (check it before hand that it'll lift from the vest without leaving glue behind) tape over the front of the vest. Put your girth/sash on so it's at the waist and mark out the top edge on the tape. Then just draw in the plate shapes in the gap left. Unpeel the tape and add darts until the tape is flat.

It's pretty darn cold here right now (-44 Celsius), so doing all my soft parts and then considering my templates does seem the route I'll take. Maybe. But I'll definitely give your suggestion a try for darting!

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Always do soft parts first. Your armor is always going to have to fit the soft parts, and not you. And i know it isn't as much fun as the armor, but then you don't get burned out at the end anyway.
Its also good to look into work clothes and tactical clothes. A few of my friends use dickies work clothes cause their shirts and pants match in color and they prefer that look over tight compression clothes. They do need some simple tailoring afterwords. I'm one of those fools who wears a one piece and I never have issues, I like how it fits especially since i don't wear a kama or a cape.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Short update!

Shoes came in (and are amazing). I ordered these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SX9SDMZ and they fit great! Need to break them in and see if they're good for long periods. I might end up with something a little more 'western' looking like these: https://www.amazon.ca/Yellow-Shoes-Womens-Classic-Chelsea/dp/B075X372S8 but so far shoes are good.

Scrubs came in! Annd are several sizes too big... They fit my bust but that's about it lol

Time to remove pockets and get to pinning and stitching those seams in. I'm a little bit indecisive if I'll end up sewing long sleeves inside the top, or if I'll cave get just a long sleeve top like this: https://www.uniformadvantage.com/pages/prod/healing-hands-melissa-scrub-tee.asp?1=1&frmcolor=black But nothing wrong with having backups/other stuff prepped for a future kit I guess.

And my hopes have been dashed slightly with having the grey/purple flak vest. Unfortunately I didn't consider that canvas/duck cloth/other fabrics should be looked at BEFORE picking colour ideas. So we're going with black canvas with the first try and see what happens from there. I can always try dyeing something later!

Canvas is ready to be cut to the pattern. I bought Simplicity's 8480 (https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/costumes/simplicity-pattern-8480-misses-costumes/ [off of someone else considering Simplicity doesn't ship to Canada anymore]) and I'll be cannibalizing it a little to get the desired vest I'm envisioning.

My 3D printed Nite Owl helmet, purchased from kamenkewl (who was super patient with my excitement and many questions) is in the mail and on its way. I'm actually super excited to work on it! Based on the advice I've been given, Sintra for the armour parts will end up waiting until soft parts are done, though I've located a seller here in the city that will ship me the whole 4'x8' so I don't have to cut it down to fit into my car.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2020, 08:17 PM by ladylambi » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Update 02/09/2020:

I was linked to this site for getting the exact shade you want when dyeing: https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/?type=197&hue=0&collection=0&pantone=0

I'll still make my first flak vest out of the black canvas, plus a neck seal as a prototype, but I know the amount of dye I need to get the grey-purple I originally wanted for my flak vest + cape. Which means I can buy some white or cream canvas/duck cloth and go from there!

Scrub top is altered and fits great. Photo to come once I alter the pants. I might still change the shoes that I use (meaning a different hemline), but I'm not 100% decided yet.

Helmet is in progress. It's way too cold here to be working with bondo, so I've just been cleaning up the inside of the 3D print and prepping the outside for work. The assembly and first couple layers of bondo was done by the seller  :sabine:

Visor cut out and shaping started. Working on smoothing out the inside to make a little more room for fans and such. Black lines along the front are definitely from the dremel coming into contact when it was hot. Live and learn!

Sintra purchase has been on hold as well because I can't do much with it yet. Paper templates are cut out of poster paper, and I'll post a picture soon for sizing!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!