Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rayne’s The Armorer WIP - Approved

• 66 Replies

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Rayne’s The Armorer WIP - Approved
« on: Jan 05, 2020, 05:15 PM »
I’m super excited to do this costume! It’s time I start a WIP. I’ve been planning and researching The Armorer since Episode 1. Now that we have the entire season and reference photos, I’m in full planning mode. I plan to complete the canon kit as accurately as possible.

I have a lot of ideas and plans but I’m going to take this one step at a time. First, the flightsuit. I’ve been researching the correct color. In different scenes, it’s different colors due to lighting. From the images I’ve found, it appears to be a dark gray maybe a charcoal gray that leans a little toward the red/brown side. The trim of the flightsuit will be real suede in red. And the extra protective layers on her legs will be the same color as the flightsuit.
Here are the reference images:

For colors so far, I haven’t decided on one yet, I don’t think I’ve found the right one yet. The two closest I have are 10 & 11.  Here’s what I have:

1 Kaufman Santa Cruz Twill Olive Drab green
2 Kaufman Santa Cruz Twill Moss
3 Telco Viscose Twill Sage
4 Kaufman Jetsetter Stretch Twill Charcoal
5 Organic Cotton Twill Charcoal
6 Slate solid Twill Blue
7 Slate Blue Cotton Twill
8 Kaufman Stretch twill light gray
9 Cotton Blend Twill gray
10 Montauk Twill Charcoal
11 Slate Grey Rayon Twill

For the chest piece, I am 3d printing it in pieces because our print bed is too small. So I plan to glue the pieces together and resin them for extra strength. For the shoulders I’m planning to purchase basketweave leather and finishing it with the correct edging.

I’m still working on a source or template for the backplate.

I purchased a helmet from Billythebrick Cosplay (Sionnach Studios), which looks to be the most screen accurate. I did purchase the cold cast, but I don’t think the color is right, so I plan to paint it.

For the skirt, I plan to sew it out of real leather.  I plan to find a smooth finished hide that is the correct brown and weather it from there.

For the boots, so far this is where I have the least reference images so this part I’ve been waiting on.  It appears that the boots are either custom or they have a boot cap on the toe, then a suede spat the covers the top. I plan to use real suede.

For the fur cape, I’m still researching.  I’m not sure if I’ll got with real Tibetan sheepskin or synthetic curly alpaca. We’ll see when I get closer. I have found out that to get the correct colors in the fur, it will have to be dyed in shades or brown, gray, and beige or cream. More to follow on the cape later.

For the gloves, I’m working on a pattern for making them out of real suede. I’ve purchased several pair and just haven’t found what I’m looking for, so I’m going to see if I can make them. Here are the ones I’ve purchased:

That’s all I have for now.

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2020, 07:34 AM by Rayne » Logged
Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
Re: Rayne’s The Armorer WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Looks awesome :porg2: Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Commenting to follow! This is on my list of costumes to build/start this year :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:43 PM »
Looks awesome :porg2: Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thank you!

Commenting to follow! This is on my list of costumes to build/start this year :)
Your Bo is great! Your build of The Armorer would be amazing too!

Small update, found a few more potential fabrics for the flightsuit.  I’m thinking the weight and color of the middle fabric is going to work best.

Top: Bangore Cotton Charcoal
Middle: Cotton Linen Charcoal
Bottom: Solid Stretch Knit Iron

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:00 PM »
Oh thank you so much! You’re too kind!

I agree with you, that color looks great on the second fabric sample!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:26 PM »
The middle is definitely closest, could even stand to be a hair darker I think.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 96 OM Invasions

Billythebrick

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:02 PM »
Thanks for the shoutout on the helmet! We submitted our app to the vendor approval team so hopefully we'll get listed on the forums soon. :)

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props. Checkout our YouTube Channel for tutorials and build videos or our site for our portfolio, shop, and more!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:27 PM »
I'm following along in the hopes of helping my wife craft this suit also.  I'm curious to see what the consensus is on the flight suit colors. 

I'll also leave this link for a sheepskin here.. 

https://www.fursource.com/nomad-mongolian-sheepskin-dijon-p-3986.html

It looks to be fairly close to the screen used cape already.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:43 PM »
I'm following along in the hopes of helping my wife craft this suit also.  I'm curious to see what the consensus is on the flight suit colors. 

I'll also leave this link for a sheepskin here.. 

https://www.fursource.com/nomad-mongolian-sheepskin-dijon-p-3986.html

It looks to be fairly close to the screen used cape already.

You can also check IKEA for "sheepskin" rugs, they are synthetic not natural hair.   I've used a white one for another costume, you can dye/weather them with alcohol-based inks.

Rayne

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Busy season at work means slow progress. But I finally got a little time to work on the flightsuit. Yay!
This is the pattern I used with modifications:

I got it together and realized it was very baggy:

So I did some tailoring, then did the last few finishing touches:

This is the pattern I used for the sleeve detail:

I think it turned out pretty well:

I also was able to 3d print the chest, back plate, and hammer. This is where I’m at currently:

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Holy momma!  :o This is awesome! I want to build The Mandalorian.  We'll see if I'm motivated enough  :laugh:

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Billythebrick

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:15 PM »
WOW! So first of all, your progress all looks amazing! I can't wait to see your finished build!!

Secondly, its really cool to see our stuff in action. We've been doing props and costumes for years but 99% of the time, we never see anything beyond the purchase so we're really loving seeing the WIP threads here and in some of the FB groups with our stuff so thank you so much for all the awesome pics!

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props. Checkout our YouTube Channel for tutorials and build videos or our site for our portfolio, shop, and more!

Rayne

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Holy momma!  :o This is awesome! I want to build The Mandalorian.  We'll see if I'm motivated enough  :laugh:
Thank you! You should definitely do it! You’d do a great job!

WOW! So first of all, your progress all looks amazing! I can't wait to see your finished build!!

Secondly, its really cool to see our stuff in action. We've been doing props and costumes for years but 99% of the time, we never see anything beyond the purchase so we're really loving seeing the WIP threads here and in some of the FB groups with our stuff so thank you so much for all the awesome pics!
Thank you for making the templates. I used the apron y template and modified it for the sleeve, they’ve been a great base!

Minor progress on the chest and back plate I filled the seams on the back and added a layer of resin to the front and used resin and fiberglass cloth on the backside of the chest plate.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Rayne

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:22 PM »
I made progress this weekend. Yay!  Huge update!
Started and finished my gloves.
This is how they looked to start:

Then:

To:

Now:

Reference images:

I’ve been slowly working on the skirt/apron, I used the Sionnach Studios pattern as a base, but had to make adjustments:
Also, my leather was creased badly so I spent a lot of time with a blow dryer and a steam iron.
To start:

After ironing/blow dryer and a few more finishing details:

Reference images:

I’m waiting for my belt greeblies and will complete the belt and the top of the skirt at that time.  I want to add snaps or something hidden under the belt to keep the skirt and belt together while trooping.

For the chest and backplate, I’ve filled the seams, smoothed them

Then I added resin over the top and I did a layer of rondo on the back over the resin layer.

My hammer progress, I filled the seams.

And finally helmet progress:  I cut out the visor

Then I smoothed it out

Going to try to get some primer on while it’s sunny and 60 in Michigan!

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2020, 06:29 PM by Rayne » Logged
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Excellent progress!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2020, 11:16 PM »
Moar please.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Iluv

• Ne shab'rud'ni —
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2020, 12:49 AM »
I am in awe of your sewing skills! I need to level up my own. This is looking super authentic so far, can't wait to see the finished product!

Iluv
(ee-loo-v)

Currently learning mando'a and drafting my first beskar'gam!

Rayne

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2020, 06:34 PM »
Thank you!
Made a little progress while I had a warm day in Michigan. I see a few seams and spots that need filling and sanding, but overall I’m pretty happy.

Also received my tongs.  I think they’re pretty close to the reference images.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Billythebrick

« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2020, 06:53 PM »
Wow! Looking great!

Also, I went back and don't see a mention of where the tongs came from? Those are the last thing on our list to make but we haven't gotten to them yet but hadn't seen anyone else offering them yet either!

vaderqueenzamora

• "No outsider will ever rule Mandalore."
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2020, 12:26 AM »
Commenting to follow

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Everything is looking great! :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:51 PM »
 :like:   Nice job!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Rayne

« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Thank you everyone!

Wow! Looking great!

Also, I went back and don't see a mention of where the tongs came from? Those are the last thing on our list to make but we haven't gotten to them yet but hadn't seen anyone else offering them yet either!

I bought them from a vendor on Etsy.  They’re real blacksmith tongs, made by a blacksmith.

I was able to make a little progress, with work being crazy, it’s hard to find time.

I bought a pre-dyed suede from Tandy Leather for the gaiters and spats. And I used the same leather as the skirt for my calf band. I still need to finish the spats and bands, I’m waiting to receive my toe covers to know where to place the velcro.  But I wanted to see how they look. I also need to weather the suede, which will darken it.

Don’t mind my clips and Velcro

Here are my reference images:

Also, started working on the shoulders. I found a great basketweave leather and leather for the edging.  I just need to get the armor finished to finish the shoulders and attach them.

Reference images:

That’s it for now  :sabine:  Oya!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Oh that leather looks perfect for her shoulder tab-thingys!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2020, 12:20 AM »
Omg where did you find such great reference pics, those are fantastic and your progress is awesome :D
I love your everything. From the painted gloves to the armor progress to the boot-belties pleats :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!