Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

PVC foam

• 8 Replies

This_Is_The_Way

• Stormtroopers are just walking target practice.
PVC foam
« on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:11 PM »
So I’m currently buying all of my PVC foam and I was wondering much do I need. I want to be sure I have enough before I start building it. Also where the best place I could get it for a Good price. Thanks a bunch!

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 11:07 PM by This_Is_The_Way » Logged
-Zas Dred

Keltten

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: PVC foam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:25 PM »
Sintra or Komatex (probably spelled wrong) aka PVC foam board.

A full sheet at my local shop is $40 for 1/8 (or was it the 1/16 i forget) and 80$ for double that thickness.

A full sheet is 4 by 8 feet. My local shop allows 3 free cuts for a full sheet so we get them into 2x4 sheets. Normally 2 of these 2x4 sheets is plenty for a full set of armor.

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)

Keltten

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:50 PM »
most people start with the 3mm but end up going to 6mm as it looks thicker. Just food for thought.

This_Is_The_Way

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:52 PM »
3 mm https://www.amazon.com/Expanded-PVC-Sheet-Lightweight-Displays/dp/B075DLRRJM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sintra&qid=1578889631&s=industrial&sr=1-1
6mm https://www.amazon.com/PVC-Foam-Board-Sheet-Flame-Resistant/dp/B01FG7QAAU/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=sintra+6mm&qid=1578889713&s=industrial&sr=1-9

If you are going without back armor I think you can get a whole set out of one 2x4 sheet.

I recommend 3mm, much easier to work with.

So my design is going to look like the heavy Mandalorian from the show (if you have seen it, I assume you have) would 3mm still work? If so that would be awesome to cut down some of that price. Thanks again

-Zas Dred

This_Is_The_Way

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:54 PM »
most people start with the 3mm but end up going to 6mm as it looks thicker. Just food for thought.
I’m going for the heavy Mandalorian style of armor. Would 3mm work or should I just go for 6mm. Thanks again

-Zas Dred

A Foundling

• What about the droid attack on the Wookies?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:37 AM »
Personally I'd go with the 6mm, but ultimately it's up to you. Not many people base their armour fully off of a canon character, but if it's a heavy, than 6mm would probably suit it better.

Keltten

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 03:29 PM »
whatever is in your budget. Thicker material takes longer to heat but can show more damage and look better in my opinion but im rocking 3m still till my next few kits are made.

Reach out to your local clan and try and attend an armor party or visit them at a convention or event to see it in person

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:24 PM »
So my design is going to look like the heavy Mandalorian from the show (if you have seen it, I assume you have) would 3mm still work? If so that would be awesome to cut down some of that price. Thanks again
I would go with 6mm

Chest and shoulders are 6mm here.  Belly plate is 3mm to give the chest a little more pop.

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!