Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

OC Twi'lek metal kit

• 49 Replies

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
Re: OC Twi'lek metal kit
« Reply #25 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:35 PM »
So cool to watch your build!! Keep up the good work!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Your metal work is inspiring!    :like:

Leira

« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2020, 09:58 PM »
Sorry I've been ghost for a bit.

Been working on things here and there but nothing big enough worth posting. I sanded down the pieces to remove the weld marks.

I briefly polished one piece to see how it will look. Going for mirror finish.

I put the tint into the helmet, foam into the bracers, foam in the helmet. I added the magnets and snaps to the pauldrons so they don't flop about. I tried on the majority of the kit just to see how it's all coming out.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and happy!

I'm an amateur with advanced tools and intermediate ideas!

Stainless Steel armor WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=182907.0
« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2020, 10:11 PM »
This looks soooo awesome! The lekku coming out of the bucket is just  magical  :<3: And love the mirror finish!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:32 AM »
The armor looks amazing! So well done! That being said, unfortunately that material quality for the cape and loin cloth won't be CRL compliant. I would recommend a more durable material, and we can discuss some options if you want!
Also I apologize if it is being used as a placeholder, but as it is, the nerf gun does not meet weapons CRLs. Like I said earlier, we can sit down and figure out some options if you still want to go that route!

Can't wait to see more of what you guys come up with!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Leira

« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2020, 09:51 AM »
Oh yeah the nerf gun is just there for the time being. I have another I'm working on that shouldn't be a problem.

Leira

« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:52 PM »
Hey y'all, hope everyone is staying safe. After the holidays I got some time to work on some stuff today.

I decided I wanted to add some detail to my armor. I was going to do a cut out design with stainless mesh and acrylic behind that is lit up.

Drew up what I was going to cut out, rough drawing.

I ordered 1/8 inch frosted acrylic and had some spare honeycomb mesh. I ordered LED strips and some batteries. I tested out the concept first. This is what it would look like from the front.

I have a vacuum form my hubby made for me years ago for another costume. I've only ever used thermaform in it so I had to test time and temperature for the way thicker 1/8 inch. I kept cranking up the oven temperature and testing how well it formed. At 475 degrees I opened the oven and the acrylic had started to bubble. I figured test out the vacuum and this piece was scrap so who cares. Well, happy accident, IT LOOKS AWESOME! I formed it and plugged up the LEDs. It looks like a starry sky to me so I'll ditch the mesh.

I need to order some clay to make copies of my good armor pieces to form more acrylic.

On to armor! After testing out my costume on Halloween, I decided I wanted thigh and boot armor. The pants looked too plain.

I got some help to mock up the shapes cuz it's really hard to draw on yourself   ;D

I used a stomp sheer to cut the straight lines and my hubby used the band saw to cut the curved edges. I do not want near that machine! While he was doing that, I looked outside and saw we had some company!

After everything was cut out, we formed the metal by hand and with the English wheel. I pulled in some design elements from the chest pieces to the lower parts. You may notice the knees are chest diamonds! I placed them on my legs just for show. I'll space them later.

As always, questions and comments welcome! HAPPY NEW YEAR MANDALORIANS!!

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Happy New Year!  Beautiful work!!    I  really enjoy watching this build.   Be careful with over lapping the knee with the shin plate.  They may bind up and will most probably scrap with every step.   You may want to either, shorten the shin or thin out the knee so its more a strip between the plates.    Keep up the beautiful work!

Leira

« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:40 PM »
Thank you for the compliment!

Be careful with over lapping the knee with the shin plate.

In reference to that, I forgot to mention I was building a shin/knee piece. I've never been able to attach a knee in other costumes and decided not to try with this one. I have key stock metal to space the knee off the shin to follow the CRL "the knee area must be physically distinguishable from the shin plate even if connected". The knee will be built a quarter inch off of the shin to make it distinguishable.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Just checked in on your kit!  Nice work!!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Thank you for the compliment!

In reference to that, I forgot to mention I was building a shin/knee piece. I've never been able to attach a knee in other costumes and decided not to try with this one. I have key stock metal to space the knee off the shin to follow the CRL "the knee area must be physically distinguishable from the shin plate even if connected". The knee will be built a quarter inch off of the shin to make it distinguishable.

:like: :like:  Awesome, I love mine, I hope you love yours.

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2021, 10:50 PM »
Happy New Year!! Looks wonderful!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Leira

« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2022, 09:51 PM »
Hey all!! I've crawled out from under the rock I've been hiding under and dusted off my costume!!

I got all my body armor sanded and polished to a mirror finish now. That took much longer than I thought it would to be honest.

Starting the process makes it look like I've made a huge mistake....

I was pretty happy with this to begin with but after doing some research and buying new materials

YOWZA!!

Better than beskar if I do say so!!

That's the mirror polish I've been going for!!

the collar plate piece got damaged in the process. Not sure if I'm keeping it or not. I'll try and roll it flat again but may have to start over. It's a little distorted right of center.

It's like playing in a fun house mirror!!

Now, for the bad news. Hubby had to re-make my first helmet. It had micro cracks in the welds that would likely crack with all the grinding and pressure we had to put on the other pieces. So in a matter of a day and a half, he re-made me a different helmet. We kept the same design but he used a different method to weld and got a better bead. I had him leave in the T visor to give extra strength during the grinding polishing process. The helmet will need to be done mostly by hand so I'm prepping for another long process.

Don't mind the PJs, I think I was actually asleep when he came in the house with the helmet lol

I'm hoping I'll have the helmet done in the next month or so. I'll be fitting the leg armor in the next week or so. I also got some accessories I need to work on.

Thanks for looking!!

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:09 AM »
Yay! Glad to see you back. This is going to be awesome!  :like:

~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Leira

« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Got to the lower leg armor today! Ignore the blue tape. That's just for spacing. Also, ignore the top armor is sagging. I lost a few magnets in the polishing process and need to order more. TO AMAZON!!

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2022, 10:59 PM »
Looks great! Shiny and chrome, vod  :like:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #41 on: Mar 27, 2022, 04:21 PM »
 :<3:
Aaah, this looks amazing! I was looking at other twi'lek builds for ideas for my helmet, and some points you brought up helped me with plotting my pattern out! thanks!

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #42 on: Mar 27, 2022, 05:02 PM »
WOW such outstandingly incredible work done here.
Those plating looks so nice and shiny.
Keep at it you are on a great path. From pg.1 I can see so much change and its really starting to come along nicely with those recent photos.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #43 on: Apr 03, 2022, 03:29 PM »
This all looks incredible. Just wondering are you planning to paint the armor?

Leira

« Reply #44 on: Apr 03, 2022, 09:16 PM »
This all looks incredible. Just wondering are you planning to paint the armor?

Nope. Mirror polish was my goal from the beginning.

Lore Vizsla

• When it’s grim, be the grim reaper…
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #45 on: Apr 04, 2022, 09:28 AM »
It looks amazing, can’t wait to see it all come together in the full kit up.  :<3:

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #46 on: Apr 04, 2022, 12:44 PM »
Cool, I like the simpleness of it.

Kol Varek

« Reply #47 on: Apr 10, 2022, 09:20 PM »
Hey!! Glad to see you're back at it and doing well! Glad to see the progress! We gotta work on stuff together again sometime soon!!

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #48 on: Apr 20, 2022, 07:23 AM »
This kit is coming out amazing!!! Great job :like:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2024, 10:07 PM »
I know it's been a while since you posted this, sorry! It looks incredible though :) I have two quick questions.

1: May I use your post as a tutorial? It looks really well done, and easy to understand. My first set of armor was EVA foam, and I'd like to do metal for my second.

2: If the first answer is yes, then exactly what kind of steel did you use?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!