Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP viking mando

• 20 Replies

Moab

WIP viking mando
« on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:42 PM »
Hey so I've been putting this off for the longest time and as a new year resolution I am finally starting my WIP thread. I would love some helpful criticism and any other ideas anyone has for it. The chest piece is my take on a Celtic style mythosaur and I'm debating on having it go up on the other just plate, but that might be a bit much. Also I'm not 100% on the colour yet, blue on white, white on blue, something completely different? let me know what you think!!

Cheers!
https://imgur.com/a/sHZwCzd

This is the way

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: WIP viking mando
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:51 PM »
I like the critter, it looks like the style of Magnus at Dark Horse Workshop.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Moab

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:05 PM »
Funny enough his videos are where I started learning celtic knots

This is the way

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:21 PM »
I guessed as much, his videos are outstanding and he inspired me to start leatherwork myself.

Late Crusader WIP

Moab

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:52 PM »
That so awesome! I guess I know who to talk to with the design ideas! I'm just sketching right now but I wanna get into leather work for my WIP

This is the way

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:00 AM »
Thanks.   Anything like that which you want to put on your kit you will need to get approved by the App Team before you put effort into making it.  In my opinion, it looks like a solid idea, but it's not my call to make.

Late Crusader WIP

Moab

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:07 AM »
sounds good, should I post this in a different thread for the app team? I'm a little unsure about the process

This is the way

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:14 AM »
Once you have a design you like we can run it by them,  Key points are to make sure it doesn't look "too much" like an earth animal, which is hard to quantify so it may take a couple of revisions before they are happy.

Late Crusader WIP

WolfofWinter

• Sho'cye Buurenaar-
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Once you have a design you like we can run it by them,  Key points are to make sure it doesn't look "too much" like an earth animal, which is hard to quantify so it may take a couple of revisions before they are happy.

I would mirror what Zoph has said.  Try to avoid "earthy" if at all possible, it will make the process much smoother.  If you have ideas, certainly post them up and we can work with the App team in tweaking or adjusting them to make it more "swarzy" !

Cheers

Hunt or  be Hunted
MMCC# 1971
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #126
New Death Watch Order #45

Moab

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Hey so a bit of an update, I have cut out and formed 90% of my armour pieces!
I just have one question that I would put on the Q&A forum but for some reason I can't post there... So I'll ask it here; does the collar piece have to be one solid plate? or can it be in segments? The reason I ask is I have tried it on and it does not fit comfortably, I have resized it a few times but nothing seems to work. So I was hoping to separate it into two or three segments. All ideas are appreciated!

Cheers!

This is the way
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:44 PM »
First off, welcome!

Secondly, as a Dad with kids named Loki and Odin, I REALLY appreciate your viking theme, but I am also very worried it is too "earthy".
This may be an uphill battle, but I'm rooting for you!

Third, I don't think I have ever seen segmented collar plates, so I see this as a challenge to the CRL's.
I recommend posting a sketch of what you have in mind, on your WIP

I look forward to seeing this outcome!

OM #2240
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

Moab

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2020, 06:26 PM »
Hey so first off those are seriously badass names! Secondly, I'm working on a more swarzy design for the armour as of now.

The idea I have for the collar plate is more of a two part one, just to allow for more movement. I'm definitely not trying to reinvent the wheel, and I want to keep it to as close to the original Boba armour as I can!

Cheers

https://imgur.com/a/fd86kX0

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020, 06:29 PM by Moab » Logged
This is the way
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2020, 09:12 PM »
Sweet.

Check out what the app team says about that segmented collar, I'm really curious.

OM #2240
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

Moab

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2020, 02:13 PM »
So I've been doing some research and there are canon and legend characters that have segmented collar plates, both Bo Katan and Spar (Mandalore the resurrector) There are CRL's for Bo Katan, and yes I know its female armour but I think I can adapt it "The chest armor consists of a two piece collar armor, right and left chest plates, abdominal plate, and center diamond" I still can't post on the Q&A forum for some reason to ask the app team

Heres the pic of Bo Katan's collar https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bo-Katan_Kryze

This is the way

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:55 AM »
Cool, i love that idea!

And it's approvable, so...

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!